• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what's a good shirt

intfxdx

Reaction score
hello everyone,
i would like to ask you what's a good dress shirt. I am new to formal wearing, i bought 3 suits (used on ebay) and 3 shirts. suits are 2 from Polo RL and 1 is Brooks Brothers. When i compare these suits with one that i tried at HM, the difference is simply HUGE, i really enjoy RL or BB suits.

I also bought one RLBL shirt from RL store, one RLPL shirt and 1 etro shirt (on ebay). I used to wear with chinos RL custom fit shirts, when i put these high quality shirts they seem to me too baggy, even RLBL which is a slim fit shirt. i don't think that problem is with sizing because neck is ok 15.5 and i wear always Medium. Do you think that the reason is am used to sport shirts ? what brand makes good slim fit shirts ?
Thanks.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black shirts go with everything. Make sure they're really tight.

intfxdx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by S. Paul
Have you tried reading through the pinned thread at the top of this forum called The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts? It's a huge thread but you can probably get good information quickly from it just by reading the last dozen pages or so. SP
Thank S. Paul, i am going to read it. I haven't noticed it. edit : i have just read the first 8-9 pages, but seems that topic is mostly about shirts HM, Zara, Polo RL etc. my question is if there are high end slim fit shirt maker ? Or as RLBL is supposed to be slim fit, i wonder if my opinion is biaised as i don't know well formal dressing.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intfxdx
Thank S. Paul, i am going to read it. I haven't noticed it. edit : i have just read the first 8-9 pages, but seems that topic is mostly about shirts HM, Zara, Polo RL etc. my question is if there are high end slim fit shirt maker ? Or as RLBL is supposed to be slim fit, i wonder if my opinion is biaised as i don't know well formal dressing.
Get your shirts tailored to slim them down, or get them made to measure (or bespoke) to begin with.

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intfxdx
Thank S. Paul, i am going to read it. I haven't noticed it.
edit : i have just read the first 8-9 pages, but seems that topic is mostly about shirts HM, Zara, Polo RL etc. my question is if there are high end slim fit shirt maker ? Or as RLBL is supposed to be slim fit, i wonder if my opinion is biaised as i don't know well formal dressing.

A lot of that information is outdated. If you want to get relatively current information, start reading posts made from 4Q 2009 to now. You have some people talking about H&M still, but most of the discussion is on how people regret spending money on "deals" and saving up for MTM shirts. An equally large group just gets something that fits well in the shoulders and collar, and have it tailored for $15-25, depending on where you are.

Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Get your shirts tailored to slim them down, or get them made to measure (or bespoke) to begin with.

This basically sums up 113 pages in one sentence.

intfxdx

Reaction score
So you mean, the best i can do now is ordering a shirt from stores like modern tailor or cottonworks etc. ?
Because i am living in switzerland and a made to measure shirt here costs more than RLBL. i found also some italian online stores who have mtm shirts with a cost of 130-140 $ what do you think about that ?

gaelicbright

Reaction score
I look forward to a good quality brand T-shirt, is not very long. This is good quality, there is no flexibility, every time I buy T-shirts, they are very long. This can only buy brand T-shirts.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MT seems to be hit or miss with members here. CottonWorks has its own thread, never used them. What are CMT prices in Switzerland where you are located. Might be a cheaper option.

intfxdx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkstone
+1
5086.gif

Thanks for the answers, so it's better to go a good brand shirt and tailor it to slim fit, rather than buying on websites like moderntailor ? in switzerland a bespoke shirt would cost a lot, it's really not an option here.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like others have said, MT is a hit or miss. Bespoke shirts cost a lot everywhere, not just Switzerland. But you get exactly what you want.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy

this. a thousand times this! Tight, Black, and a nice poly/lycra/spandex mix.

Next step...gold chains and gucci G watches.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. proper fit
2. decent fabric
3. quality construction

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Wow. Didn't take long for you to become a snarky SF prick, did it?

I almost spit out my drink, bb.
laugh.gif

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twotone
1. proper fit
2. decent fabric
3. quality construction

I beg to differ

1. overall shininess
2. stretchiness of fabric
3. dragons and/or rhinestones.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads