• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what's a good shirt

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really don't understand the black shirt hate.

jussumguy

Reaction score
Not many high-end, but here's some shirt brands I have and my opinion on the fit (FYI I guess I would be considered athletic build, not thin, not large, maybe almost stocky):

Ralph Lauren Purple Label -
I used to like Polo shirts back when I wore baggier clothes. Now, they all seem way too baggy, even the custom fit. Purple label is not much different for me. Although the fit is slightly better than Polo RL, still seems a little baggy.

Brooks Brothers regular fit -
Tent. I guess goes without saying..

Brooks Brothers slim fit non-iron -
Personally, I won't be buying non-irons again. The fit might be ok but the stiffness of the material makes the shirt stick out in some places, crease in in other places, making the silhouette too jagged everywhere. I suppose they look ok under a jacket though.

Brooks Brothers slim fit flannel sport shirt -
Pretty much perfect fit for me. I guess because of the cut and the softness of the material, I can't think of much to complain about this shirt. Very good fit in the waist, proportional trimness of the sleeves. A little tighter than usual at the neck when I button the top button, but I don't button the top anyway.

Jos A. Bank traveler tailored fit-
Super billowy arms. The fit in the waist is actually passable, but I have a feeling they use the same cut in their sleeves as the regular fit because they look like parachutes. The billowy arms make it look like the Seinfeld "puffy shirt". And again the non-iron material I don't like. I know there's a lot of warnings on here about staying away from Jos Banks, but with the prices, I thought I'd take a chance. Well, lesson learned and $150 down the drain. Shame because I like their patterns. I guess I could tailor them.

Geoffrey Beene fitted-
Believe it or not, I really like the fit of this shirt. Got it cheap at Macy's. I actually like the fit at the waist better than the Brooks Brothers slim. Perfect V shape. Only problem is the shirt sleeve length is "32/33" so it's a little long on me (I'm a 32 sleeve). The sleeves are also a bit billowy but passable.

I'm pretty close to making the jump to bespoke but I'll probably try out a few more RTW. I think the RTW's have better patterns personally than places like moderntailor, etc.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you should definitely consider investing in a shirt/suit combo called the "Emperor's new clothes". That way you do not need to consider the slim fits - just think of these as the slimmest fits made from the most waiflike material.

On a more serious note:

-If you are happy paying RLPL prices and would like quality in the ballpark of RL, you may want to try Prada out. Their shirts can be incredibly slim fitting. They may be just what the doc ordered for you if you dont mind their style. Many folks here could be very iffy about a Prada shirt (I would be one of them as well) but you got to do whats best for you.

-Canali are usually generous in size, but I have tried some super slim fits by them. Price cheaper than RLPL and shirt quality pretty darn good. Ive bought a good few of these shirts in the past I would put them up against any modern fit luxury brand.

-Paul Smith slim fits - Im a great fan of these (or to be honest, I was before I discovered Brooks Brothers).

I could think of numerous other examples, but Im getting too long and boring now

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jussumguy
Not many high-end

Good dress shirts dont need to be high-end, they just need to fit and look good in their proper context.

Ralph Lauren Purple Label -
I used to like Polo shirts back when I wore baggier clothes. Now, they all seem way too baggy, even the custom fit. Purple label is not much different for me. Although the fit is slightly better than Polo RL, still seems a little baggy.

Wonderful label for regular fits. Heck if he can afford it he should buy 1/2 of these he likes and just get them tailored. Or RLBL but again would need tailoring.

Brooks Brothers slim fit flannel sport shirt -
Pretty much perfect fit for me. I guess because of the cut and the softness of the material, I can't think of much to complain about this shirt. Very good fit in the waist, proportional trimness of the sleeves. A little tighter than usual at the neck when I button the top button, but I don't button the top anyway.

Absolutely agree - love these shirts. Would it fit the OP? Hard to say.

Geoffrey Beene fitted-
Believe it or not, I really like the fit of this shirt. Got it cheap at Macy's. I actually like the fit at the waist better than the Brooks Brothers slim. Perfect V shape. Only problem is the shirt sleeve length is "32/33" so it's a little long on me (I'm a 32 sleeve). The sleeves are also a bit billowy but passable.

These are pretty neat shirts, they are cheap and cheerful but work perfectly well as dress shirts for 90% of all occasions.

Could also add in SF category:
DKNY
HUGO

and most of the Italian labels we all know about Im too lazy to write em out.

intfxdx

Reaction score
thanks guys, you are helpful. unfortunately most of brands like brooks brothers or others don't exist in switzerland, i can't try them. i really like RLBL, i think i will go for them and tailor them. when i first bought these shirts i surprised that sleeves are too long and i heard on forum that good brand shirts are mostly like that. I was reluctant to tailoring other parts of shirts because this really means reconstructuring the shirt from chest or waist etc. and it's hard to find a good tailor.
but i am going to look for a good tailor and make them tailored.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
I really don't understand the black shirt hate.

It goes with the black suit hate. I think there's a thread about that somewhere...
sarcasm.gif

Grenadier

Reaction score
Since you live in Switzerland and have the money to blow on Ralph Lauren Black and Purple Label, why don't you take a nice vacation down to Naples or Milan and get some shirts made for about the same price or less?

intfxdx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by azlawstudent
Since you live in Switzerland and have the money to blow on Ralph Lauren Black and Purple Label, why don't you take a nice vacation down to Naples or Milan and get some shirts made for about the same price or less?

that's a really good option. i have already thought about that because milan is just 3h30 by train from where i live. you propose to visit stores and shop or finding a good tailor ?

for BL and PL shirts i bought them on sale, I bought 2 BL from RL online store last year, price was about $160-$170. i bought PL shirt on ebay, price was $90. i have doubts if the PL that i bought on ebay has same quality as sold on RL online store. Anyway i will bring them to a tailor, even maybe in milan
smile.gif

Grenadier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intfxdx
that's a really good option. i have already thought about that because milan is just 3h30 by train from where i live. you propose to visit stores and shop or finding a good tailor ?

for BL and PL shirts i bought them on sale, I bought 2 BL from RL online store last year, price was about $160-$170. i bought PL shirt on ebay, price was $90. i have doubts if the PL that i bought on ebay has same quality as sold on RL online store. Anyway i will bring them to a tailor, even maybe in milan
smile.gif

Go find a tailor and get some custom shirts; Manton should be able to point you to one.

DC2see

Reaction score
I need a common sense check. I ordered some shirts in colors I needed, but they have a slight sheen due to 4% lastol in them. Otherwise, they're smooth cotton twill. They're to be worn with (1) a charcoal suit I have, (2) herringbone tweed sport coat or (3) navy linen sport coat. Seems like sheen doesn't go with that rotation, right? And seems like sheen, however slight, screams 1999.

Every time I google for advice on shirts with sheen, I get idiotic printed t-shirts w/ a Charlie Sheen graphic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads