• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whats a good mint julep recipe?

mrgoblueguy

Reaction score
I purchased some fresh mint today to make some juleps and am overwhelmed by the amount of recipes online. Some want simple syrup and some call for powder sugar. Others want white table sugar!!! How do you guys make em?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i guess it's easier but i dont think simple syrup or powdered sugar is traditional. just muddle a few sprigs of mint with some sugar, add 3 or so oz of bourbon. add more sugar if you think it isnt sweet enough

escheriff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrgoblueguy
I purchased some fresh mint today to make some juleps and am overwhelmed by the amount of recipes online. Some want simple syrup and some call for powder sugar. Others want white table sugar!!! How do you guys make em?

Simple syrup sucks unless you make it yourself. Sugar crystals are good but the finer the better.

I put about 8-10 mint leaves (no stems) at the bottom of the glass and gently muddle em with a spoon--I like mint flavor. Then I add the bourbon and stir in the sugar. Then plenty of crushed ice. I usually add a splash of selter water even though some would say that's not authentic...

In truth: as long as it tastes good to you, then it's a good mint julep.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by escheriff
Simple syrup sucks unless you make it yourself. Sugar crystals are good but the finer the better. Follow the above guide. I use a Collins glass and lots of mint.
Why on God's green earth would someone buy premade simple syrup? It takes like 3 minutes to make and almost no effort.

escheriff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Why on God's green earth would someone buy premade simple syrup? It takes like 3 minutes to make and almost no effort.

Agree. And it ****************. One of my biggest pet peeves is a bar that stocks factory simple syrup.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well....cocktails used to be made with something called Gomme syrup, which was simple syrup with a little gum arabic which gave it rather a different mouthfeel. So yeah, I wouldn't make regular simple syrup, but they do still sell some with gum, which would be a good enough reason to buy some. ~ H

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Well....cocktails used to be made with something called Gomme syrup, which was simple syrup with a little gum arabic which gave it rather a different mouthfeel. So yeah, I wouldn't make regular simple syrup, but they do still sell some with gum, which would be a good enough reason to buy some. ~ H
Really, Gum Arabic? And Grant Achatz thinks he's on the cutting edge. Pffffft.

jenlain

Reaction score
proper way is to soak the mint leaves in simple syrup for a day or two. If you don't have that kind of time then go ahead and muddle.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention -- I make my juleps by making a mint simple syrup -- just as the syrup comes to temp, I toss in freshly bruised mint leaves and let it cool. Muddling with sugar and mint is, I suppose, all well and good, but I really like my juleps this way. Then I toss a nice spearmint top into the drink.
Really, Gum Arabic? And Grant Achatz thinks he's on the cutting edge. Pffffft.
I don't want to say there's nothing new under the sun, but you know. ~ H

Mr. White

Reaction score
I once lived in a place in Texas that had scads of lemon mint growing in the shade. I used it for cocktails and salads. Of course, that was back in the days when food processors were all the rage. Nowadays, I'd tear everything by hand.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
My mint has all died, have to wait till April and then plant some more.
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads