1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Whats a good mint julep recipe?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by mrgoblueguy, Feb 13, 2011.

1. mrgoblueguy

mrgoblueguy Senior member

I purchased some fresh mint today to make some juleps and am overwhelmed by the amount of recipes online. Some want simple syrup and some call for powder sugar. Others want white table sugar!!! How do you guys make em?

2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i guess it's easier but i dont think simple syrup or powdered sugar is traditional. just muddle a few sprigs of mint with some sugar, add 3 or so oz of bourbon. add more sugar if you think it isnt sweet enough

3. escheriff

escheriff Well-Known Member

I purchased some fresh mint today to make some juleps and am overwhelmed by the amount of recipes online. Some want simple syrup and some call for powder sugar. Others want white table sugar!!! How do you guys make em?

Simple syrup sucks unless you make it yourself. Sugar crystals are good but the finer the better.

I put about 8-10 mint leaves (no stems) at the bottom of the glass and gently muddle em with a spoon--I like mint flavor. Then I add the bourbon and stir in the sugar. Then plenty of crushed ice. I usually add a splash of selter water even though some would say that's not authentic...

In truth: as long as it tastes good to you, then it's a good mint julep.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Simple syrup sucks unless you make it yourself. Sugar crystals are good but the finer the better. Follow the above guide. I use a Collins glass and lots of mint.
    Why on God's green earth would someone buy premade simple syrup? It takes like 3 minutes to make and almost no effort.

5. escheriff

escheriff Well-Known Member

Why on God's green earth would someone buy premade simple syrup? It takes like 3 minutes to make and almost no effort.

Agree. And it tastes like shit. One of my biggest pet peeves is a bar that stocks factory simple syrup.

6. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Well....cocktails used to be made with something called Gomme syrup, which was simple syrup with a little gum arabic which gave it rather a different mouthfeel. So yeah, I wouldn't make regular simple syrup, but they do still sell some with gum, which would be a good enough reason to buy some. ~ H

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Well....cocktails used to be made with something called Gomme syrup, which was simple syrup with a little gum arabic which gave it rather a different mouthfeel. So yeah, I wouldn't make regular simple syrup, but they do still sell some with gum, which would be a good enough reason to buy some. ~ H
    Really, Gum Arabic? And Grant Achatz thinks he's on the cutting edge. Pffffft.

8. jenlain

jenlain Senior member

proper way is to soak the mint leaves in simple syrup for a day or two. If you don't have that kind of time then go ahead and muddle.

9. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Forgot to mention -- I make my juleps by making a mint simple syrup -- just as the syrup comes to temp, I toss in freshly bruised mint leaves and let it cool. Muddling with sugar and mint is, I suppose, all well and good, but I really like my juleps this way. Then I toss a nice spearmint top into the drink.
    Really, Gum Arabic? And Grant Achatz thinks he's on the cutting edge. Pffffft.
    I don't want to say there's nothing new under the sun, but you know. ~ H

10. Mr. White

Mr. White Senior member

I once lived in a place in Texas that had scads of lemon mint growing in the shade. I used it for cocktails and salads. Of course, that was back in the days when food processors were all the rage. Nowadays, I'd tear everything by hand.

11. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

My mint has all died, have to wait till April and then plant some more. [​IMG]