• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's a good illustration, quote, etc. for the intro to a speech on HARBORING RESENTMENT?

Chuck_Inglish

Reaction score
Soon, I'm giving a 25 minute speech on harboring resentment and why be forgiving. In my efforts to create a rousing introduction, I've been trying to think of a good illustration to help the listeners visualize the point in their minds. Any ideas or opinions? It would be greatly appreciated.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soon, I'm giving a 25 minute speech on harboring resentment and why be forgiving. In my efforts to create a rousing introduction, I've been trying to think of a good illustration to help the listeners visualize the point in their minds. Any ideas or opinions? It would be greatly appreciated.

The story of Harpagus in Herodotus (Greek 'father of history')

- The Median king asks Harpagus to kill his (the King's) son be cause he fears his son will one day take the throne from him. Harpagus has mercy (like the hunter in Snow White, which is based on this story) and leaves the child with a couple in the mountains. The child grows up and finds himself at court. he's revealed to the King, who punishes Harpagus by inviting him to a feast at which he serves Harpagus' own sons as the main meal. Harpagus seeks revenges by changing sides in an important battle, leading to the King's defeat - but, and here's the clincher - it also leades to the subjugation of the Median people, including Harpagus himself.

Or somehting like that- u can look it up.

Harpagus was a member of the Median royal house in service to King Astyages, the last king of Media.
When word reached Astyages that Cyrus was gathering his forces, he ordered Harpagus, as his primary general, to lead the army against Cyrus. After a three-day battle on the plain ofPasargadae, Harpagus took his revenge for the death of his son when he turned on the battlefield in favor of Cyrus, resulting in Astyages' defeat and the formation of the Persian Empire.

Chuck_Inglish

Reaction score
Hmmm. Thanks very much, but I was thinking of something that was perhaps shorter, yet could explain something about resentment/forgiveness, perhaps even a bit humorous. Not as if I read it in an encyclopedia or in "Mythology" by Edith Hamilton. That would be kind of boring. I'm working towards "rousing". Something that will make people young and old want to continue to listen to what I'm saying and memorable.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
how about a clip or pic from the "Kill Bill" movies? or if you want something darker, V for Vendetta.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads