• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO: Alfred Sargent Handgrades ?

countbaron

Reaction score
Less than one year has passed since the AS bandwagon was on full speed here.

I used to joke about the ridiculous "Chay (of AS) said this ..", "Chay (of AS) did that.." posts, to the extreme distaste of members like Clintonf, Pliny etc which were singing the song of Solomon - Vass? what Vass? when you can have AS!!

Now that the dust has settled, I see that there has been no official AS website for months and these magnificent hand grades seem to have mostly disappeared, despite the fact that some people at least seemed to have been burned with the inventory (If you have $1000 to burn check https://www.shoehealer.co.uk/Alfred_Sargent/AS_Hand_Grade/)

So whatever happened to teh Chay?, what do his acolytes have to say (yes you Clintonf, Pliny ) about all this hype, and why does SF lend itself so easily to people starting 'shoe' bubbles (do I hear Carmina)?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What username did you used to post under, and why the change?

emptym

Reaction score
CB: As in other arenas of human discourse, things on SF flow in and out of the center of attention. Afaik, AS is doing fine. Their website should be up soon. Chay's coming to the US on tour next month. I plan to order a pair or two. I was going to order several months ago, but I postponed when I heard Chay would be coming to town, and I'd be able to try on some of the new lasts.

Have you taken a look at their new lines and/or visited the factory? I wish I could do so and envy you guys in the UK.

ID: CB did post under another name that was banned. He's promised to be good and will be held to his promise.

Last edited:

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im guessing bigbris.????

SF brings awareness of many brands, elements, and styles for me. many of which i disagree with / dont follow.

whether or not AS is the subject of a trend, peaking or bygone, is no matter to me. AS stuff looks good per se

Last edited:

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BigBris is now NORE
CB is someone else to my understanding - but has CB actually been good since being reincarnated on SF?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BigBris is now NORE
CB is someone else to my understanding - but has CB actually been good since being reincarnated on SF?

I don't know who he is, but he's been kind of an ass about certain shoe brands.

So CB, what shoe brands are worthy of your praise and that of SF?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What username did you used to post under, and why the change?

]CB did post under another name that was banned. He's promised to be good and will be held to his promise.

Oh, he used to be half of the Tory party: "Cameron", "Osborne" and maybe a few more.

He is one of those mercenaries, who buy the stock from the Northampton factory shops,
hoping to make a quick buck (or quid).

Obviously, he talks negatively about the brands he hasn't got stock of (hoping it would help his sales).

Last edited:

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, he used to be half of the Tory party: "Cameron", "Osborne" and maybe a few more.

He is one of those mercenaries, who buy the stock from the Northampton factory shops,

Obviously, he talks negatively about the brands he hasn't got stock of (hoping it would help his sales).

Explains it, since it appears he has no basis for most of what he's spouting out.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OT Rant - I miss AS premier. A good mix of quality and affordability. :fu:

I'm hoping to try AS handgrade one of these days :)

Alfred Sargent

Reaction score
Hi All,

Handgrade production is going well, with three new staff recently employed to help increase production, I'm looking forward to visiting New York and Leffot again next month and also my first visits to Los Angeles and San Francisco.
Many thanks to the OP for the opportunity to highlight my schedule [=http://alfred-sargent.blogspot.com/2011/08/as-handgrade-trunkshows-usa-september.html][/]
I'd also like to extend an open invite to visit us at the factory, have a look at the Handgrade in production and meet the team. Please feel free to email me [email protected] if either the trunk shows or a factory tour are of interest.

Best,

Chay.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really don't know why purchasing to resell hasn't been banned by all of the Northampton shops. JL made a good example. The rest should follow as it is simply depriving those who put in the effort to go to Northampton.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really don't know why purchasing to resell hasn't been banned by all of the Northampton shops. JL made a good example. The rest should follow as it is simply depriving those who put in the effort to go to Northampton.

What about those of us who can't afford that :(

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What about those of us who can't afford that :(

Didn't he say purchasing to resell? Going to Northhampton to buy a pair or two in your size shouldn't be viewed negatively. A pair or two in one size doesn't seem worth the effort to flip to make a buck.

Last edited:

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Didn't he say purchasing to resell? Going to Northhampton to buy a pair or two in your size shouldn't be viewed negatively. A pair or two in one size doesn't seem worth the effort to flip to make a buck.

I'm a bit confused. I meant I'm too poor to make a trip to Northampton, so I would be very grateful is someone was to buy some in my size and sell them to me at a discount since I don't have the coin to travel there myself. A proxy of sorts.

That being said, it sounds like he's talking about the people who go in and clean them out of their stock, something I also find annoying.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads