• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you think if a black male (me) wore this 3/4 coat around campus?

greatfire

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm wondering what you would think if you saw a black male wearing this coat in a college atmosphere (that is, not business/corporate shirt and tie environment) with probably a t-shirt and jeans.. That is, do you think I would be seen as out of place wearing it?

I'm really looking for thoughts on this. I already wear the coat, now I'm trying to think about whether I shouldn't anymore, or if I should continue. Please don't tell me to just be who I am, or something like that, I'm looking for opinions specifically on what you would think.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Caveat: I don't spend a lot of time on college campuses these days.
That said, I think it's fine. It looks like a perfectly normal, utilitarian coat. Reasonably stylish without being ostentatiously fashion-forward. I don't think it would look out of place on a college guy, black or white or whatever. (While I accept that theoretically there could be certain clothes that would tend to "work" better on people from a certain racial/cultural background, I don't think this coat falls into that category.) I think it would be perfectly ok for a college guy to wear either as an everyday coat with jeans and t-shirts, or on dates or other slightly dressed-up occasions with, say, slacks and a sweater or button-down shirt.

tundrafour

Reaction score
If it fits you well, you like it, is sufficiently warm, etc., keep wearing it. I don't see how race really has anything to do with it. I don't think I'd react any differently to a black guy wearing that coat than anyone of any other race.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tundrafour
If it fits you well, you like it, is sufficiently warm, etc., keep wearing it. I don't see how race really has anything to do with it. I don't think I'd react any differently to a black guy wearing that coat than anyone of any other race.

+1

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greatfire
Hey,

I'm wondering what you would think if you saw a black male wearing this coat in a college atmosphere (that is, not business/corporate shirt and tie environment) with probably a t-shirt and jeans.. That is, do you think I would be seen as out of place wearing it?

I'm really looking for thoughts on this. I already wear the coat, now I'm trying to think about whether I shouldn't anymore, or if I should continue. Please don't tell me to just be who I am, or something like that, I'm looking for opinions specifically on what you would think.

I think you're asking the wrong crowd asking opinions on black men. Check my AF1 thread and see the pictures these tools post up.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Where do you go to college? I know on my campus, everyone is wearing flip flops, khaki shorts and horizontally striped polos everyday so anything dressed up is out of place. Nothing to do with race. It also depends if you're an undergrad, grad student/ta and stuff like that. Ultimately, if you like it, get it. If that's your style, then it won't look out of place. If you switch from the college gear i described above to that, it would. If most all of your clothes are dressy, then go for it because it looks nice.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be worried you would mug me or take my television.

Seriously, what the **** does being black have to do with this? It's just a basic overcoat. Possibly too formal for college with the front covered placket, but that's about the only thing that stands out to me.

greatfire

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
I'd be worried you would mug me or take my television. Seriously, what the **** does being black have to do with this? It's just a basic overcoat. Possibly too formal for college with the front covered placket, but that's about the only thing that stands out to me.
Its touchy.. but I remember the "snide remarks" when another black dude came strolling in with a pair of bootcut jeans. Snide, not as in they were racist, but as in, "a black dude just should not be wearing that stuff."

I'm just looking for opinions, that's all.

riotshield

Reaction score
Looks fine to me. Might be out of place in a podunk college campus in the South (where I'm from), but in the Northeast it seems black topcoats are standard attire.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its touchy.. but I remember the "snide remarks" when another black dude came strolling in with a pair of bootcut jeans. Snide, not as in they were racist, but as in, "a black dude just should not be wearing that stuff."
I guess I missed that thread, but that is racist.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why the hell should you not wear bootcut jeans? DOn't get it

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

Well, you already have my opinion, but I'm curious:
Aren't classmates who would make idiotic comments like "a black dude just should not be wearing that stuff" by definition people whose opinions aren't worth a rat's ass? Seems to me that would be reason enough to start wearing bootcut jeans.

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
I guess I missed that thread, but that is racist.

And they call me "off the train" for my pointing things out. So this one is, and the ones I pointed out are not.

Interesting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads