• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you pay for a Baldessarini?

scot

Reaction score
I think I have a grasp on what I would pay up to 500 bucks for, but over that I am a bit less than knowledgable.

Would you pay 700 for a Baldessarini? Any suit or just ones with higher quality fabric?

Other posts have mentioned Isaia and RLPL at the same level as Baldessarini, is that still true? Would you price either of the other two at about the same level?

Thanks,
Scot

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just avoid Baldessarini generally. Why, because I don't know much about it. I know others have said here that the quality is very high (at least for the shirts), but there always seems to be a touch of skepticism. Plus, the prices the suits sell for on Ebay suggest it's not in the same league as St. Andrews, for example. I may be entirely off base on this, but that's my perception.

By the way, I noticed in the Vass book that they have pictures of Vass shoes that are "Vass for Baldessari-Hugo Boss." I wonder if these are sold in Hugo Boss stores in the US?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Baldessarini certainly does not rate with Isaia and Purple Label. The latter two have much more handwork and are as a result much softer and mold to the body much better.

That said, I would put Baldessarini in the second tier of suits. The fabrics they use are sometimes a bit bold for my tastes, but the quality seems to be good to very good. Sometimes I don't like the styling, but I've tried on a few that I've really thought looked good on me -- in particular, their two buttons have a very nice button stance and they seem to cut their vents pretty nicely.

Baldessarini is made by R. Caruso; I've tried the regular R. Caruso label suits (Stone Streets in Cambrige carries R. Caruso, which sells for between $1000 and $1300), and I think the Baldessarini ones are better made.

Would I pay $700 for a Baldessarini suit? If it fit very, very well OTR and I really loved the fabric. To compare, I would pay $700 for a Kiton if I like the fabric and thought it fit reasonably well OTR (so long as I knew alterations would make it fit very, very well).

It would be ridiculous to set a price ceiling for a particular label. Someone may say, "Don't pay $700, because you can find a Canali for $350 on Ebay." That's bad advice. The $1800 retail on a Baldessarini is high, but it's not outrageous. It's a quality suit well deserving of a $1500 price tag, in my opinion. $700 is still a bargain. You won't be getting ripped off, for sure.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are comparable to Canali, Belvest, Ravazzolo, and the like. They feature fully canvased fronts basted lapels and hand picked lapel edges. They are second tier right below RLPL, Canali exclusive, Attolini, Brioni etc.

arvi

Reaction score
it seems that the boss store on 5th avenue in nyc has dramatically downsized its baldessarini section...i thought that they were perhaps fazing out this higher price-point..wherelse can one still see a wide array of badessarini?

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are comparable to Canali, Belvest, Ravazzolo, and the like.  They feature fully canvased fronts basted lapels and hand picked lapel edges.  They are second tier right below RLPL, Canali exclusive, Attolini, Brioni etc.
I prefer Belvest to Baldessarini personally.

koji

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it seems that the boss store on 5th avenue in nyc has dramatically downsized its baldessarini  section...i thought that they were perhaps fazing out this higher price-point..wherelse can one still see a wide array of badessarini?
Someone mentioned that Baldessarini had left Hugo Boss could this be why are they discontinuing the line?

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone mentioned that Baldessarini had left Hugo Boss could this be why are they discontinuing the line?

I was provided with this information by one of the sales representatives at the Fifth Avenue location. Apparently, the clerk was wrong. Mr. Baldessarini has left the company, but the higher-end tailored clothing and sportsline will continue at least for another season. BOSS has introduced a newer line called Boss Select that is supposed to bridge their lower and high end. I wasn't impressed from what I've seen so far.

FWIW, I would pay $700 for ANY decent well-made canvas suit that fits a 36R-S.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a lot of variation in baldesarrini in sizes? I've noticed that some R of the same size don't have the same measurements and i've measured them two or three times. Anyone else notice or can account for why this is?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads