• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you pair these navy pinstriped pants with?

crapshoot

Reaction score
I was given this pair of Banana Republic Navy Pinstriped Pants (beaded stripes, flat front, somewhat slim cut) as a gift but I'm not really sure what to pair them with. I have a checked shirt (white with thin blue stripes) that I was thinking might look good with them... What do you people think? What kind of tie would be appropriate? Also what kind of blazer or sport coat should I wear with the pants (if I should be wearing one at all)?

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=10psv20&s=3

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like it would go pretty well with most dress shirts. Navy blazer would work, not sure about sports coat though.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleksandr
Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like it would go pretty well with most dress shirts. Navy blazer would work, not sure about sports coat though.
+1. I've a similar pair of pants, and I wear them all the time with a white or light blue shirt and a navy or black blazer (both look good). I'd not necessarily pair them with striped shirts or something with too many patterns, as that tends to look a little too busy (at least in my experience). But as with everything else, if you can pull it off -- great! Personally, I like pairing it with a plain, light-colored shirt, striped tie and a classic navy or black blazer.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can maybe wear them with a sweater and buttondown, but the real answer is a matching suit coat. Anything else will make the pants look orphaned. Pinstripes are for suits only.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
You can maybe wear them with a sweater and buttondown, but the real answer is a matching suit coat. Anything else will make the pants look orphaned. Pinstripes are for suits only.

+1. I was going to say "with the suit jacket that should have come with them," but after seeing the link, I see that the designer meant for these to stand alone.

A blue, or heaven forbid black blazer would look terrible. Close matching like that is bound to be disastrous. You'd look like you got dressed in the dark.

The best option is not to wear these with any kind of tailored jacket, but rather a solid sweater or button-down. A very trim slim-fit shirt is best.

If you must wear a jacket, I think your only choice would a spring-timey cotton or linen blazer in white or cream, with a brightly-colored shirt - say, solid blue or pink.

But that's just one man's opinion.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I would go with a subdued/light POW blazer or another lighter/natural color. Navy/black will look a bit odd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads