What would you like to see in a Men's Accessories store?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by robdpittman, Feb 4, 2010.

1. robdpittman

robdpittman Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I'm in the planning stages of a little project, and I'm doing a little bit of market research on my fellow forum members.

I want to open a Men's Shoes and Accessories store in my hometown, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. Being a fairly small city with a mostly casual dress code, there aren't any options really for purchasing shoes, cufflinks, ties, wallets, etc.

I'd like your opinions on high-quality (but not luxury grade) shoes and accessories. What brands and items would you like to see in such a store?

In shoes, I would like to offer a selection of Allen Edmonds, Cole Haan, John Fluevog, Cheaney and Loding. The two latter aren't presently available in North America, but are in the price range and stylistic oeuvre I'm considering. I would like to carry a decent Italian line of shoes, but I'm in the dark as to what might be in the price range and of comparable quality to the lines mentioned above. Any suggestions?

As for other accessories, my book is blank - so...ideas?

I look forward to reading your suggestions!

Rob

2. Stringless

Stringless New Member

Hey Rob -

That's an awesome idea and I am sure that you'll find some great support on the forum to get it going. With that said, I've always loved stores that carry mostly new items, but also old/vintage. For instance, I think it would be great if you carried certain vintage items that maybe you acquired through thrifting or eBay. There is most definitely a market for it.

My buddy went to a random men's shop a couple of months back and they had a newly-refurbished (cleaned up) pair of Florsheim Imperial Longwings (V-cleat, 5-nail) for sale that he said just "popped." He also concluded that any store that appreciates the new - while respecting the old - is going to get his business for years to come. Just my two cents...

Best of luck!

- James

3. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Hello all,

I'm in the planning stages of a little project, and I'm doing a little bit of market research on my fellow forum members.

I want to open a Men's Shoes and Accessories store in my hometown, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. Being a fairly small city with a mostly casual dress code, there aren't any options really for purchasing shoes, cufflinks, ties, wallets, etc.

Rob

Not to rain on your parade, but have you seriously look at the chance of success of such a store?

4. intent

intent Senior member

Good luck. Never been to Newfoundland, but everyone I've met from there thinks a button down means a shirt with buttons.

Maybe just sell ties, belts, etc.?

5. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

I'm sorry to tell you that it dosen't sound like there's much of a market for a store like that in your area but I do wish you all the success. What I miss from some of the shops around here are a lot or rarities like garters and braces, more selection of cufflinks.

6. robdpittman

robdpittman Well-Known Member

Not to rain on your parade, but have you seriously look at the chance of success of such a store?
    While the majority of people are on the casual side, there has been a massive influx of professional engineers and petroleum executives because of several massive offshore oil developments - projects which have projected timelines of at least another twenty years. The "business suit" uniform is becoming much more prevalent as a result, and most people at the moment are still forced to go to Toronto or Montreal for decent shoes, accessories, shirts and suits. Should have mentioned all that in the original post. It is true that there is a certain ignorance to mens style and fashion in Newfoundland at the moment though. I really believe (and hope) all that is on the verge of changing as Newfoundland's economy continues to develop. Thanks for your comments so far!

7. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I'd add a bunch of "functional" accessories like a range of low to high

Pens
    Lighters
    Shoe Horns
    Money Clips
    Tie Clips
    Colorful socks
    Stain remover (oil, ink, etc... what do your customers encounter?)
    Quality hair combs
    maybe a selection of hats?

You might also consider making money through a service aspect. Someone else makes the sale but you make money off their product. So say shoe shinings, etc. Think Razors and Blades model

You could consider having some lost leader...
    1. Product - ie a really cheap price on hair combs that brings people in where you sell them a nice pen
    2. Service - come in for a shave, and while they're there push shaving and hair products, or shoe shining chair in the store... free shine with any purchase over $X

8. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

A good selection of ties. Not your regular Canadia gas station quality ones, but good, silk ties. And knit ties. Preferably good knit silk ties. Not from a gas station.

And of course, pocket squares. Once again, no gas station hankys.

9. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Senior member

A topless female sales force.

10. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

11. gram thorpe

gram thorpe Active Member

Hello all,

Great idea ........get started , good luck.

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

13. tcnjbanker123

tcnjbanker123 Senior member

A few things I'd like to see in a men's store:

-Good quality Hangers (shoulders, pants, tie)
    -Shoe trees
    -Limited run cologne
    -Casual and dress belts
    -A few shoe staples in addition to line perhaps topsiders and weejuns
    -In line with the vintage comment earlier, maybe a few vintage books
    -High Quality Slippers
    -Leather weekend duffel bags (I can't resist buying a good brown one if I see it)
    -Pocketsquares
    -Jewelry box to hold the cufflinks and collar stays you will be selling
    -Shoe polishes and creams
    -Silk Knots
    -If you have the budget I'd love to see a few vintage watches from solid makers like omega and rolex
    -Key Fobs
    -Golf score cases (if your area allows)
    -DOP Kits

Thats my two cents

14. gram thorpe

gram thorpe Active Member

I'd like to see belts , wallet , sunglasses.......

15. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

Kent or similar hair brushes, clothes brushes, shaving brushes
    Merkur &/or Parker safety razors
    Quality shoe/boot care products - meltonian, saphir, ae, obenaufs