1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What would you do in my situation...?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bicktrav, May 30, 2012.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

I guess I don't understand your predicament completely. While I would certainly be interested in extracting a just result from this shop, I'd be far more concerned about getting a dinner suit in hand ready to go for my wedding in a week. Given this alteration tailor's track record, I give him less than a 20% chance of getting it right this time--after all, by now, it sounds like he may well have cut away a lot of fabric that cannot be grown back.

A good tailor can do minor alterations on a suit in less than week if you give him enough notice and tell him why your timeframe is so important. Do yourself a favor: get the other tux ASAP so that you have it ready. If they f*ck up this last round of alterations and you are forced to do a charge back, it will look extremely suspicious if someone calls in right after to buy the other tux. If someone else were to buy the other tux right now, though, they would be hard-pressed to tell him no. This is what you have groomsmen for.

2. bicktrav

bicktrav Active Member

I totally agree with you. I've got a backup from another vendor all ready for purchase. If theirs doesn't fit correctly, I'm buying it and having it altered immediately.

3. duggyald

duggyald Senior member

True. I second that.

4. bicktrav

bicktrav Active Member

Here's the final update: Went in yesterday and tried on the tux. Lo and behold, it fit perfectly. My guess is that the tailor felt he was about to lose his contract with the store, so this time around, he decided to actually do his job. Anyway, all's well that ends well I guess, but it's still irritating as hell that I had to go to 5 or so alterations with this guy to get him to do something he clearly could have done the first time. I also find it ridiculously annoying that a few of the sales clerks tried to get me to accept a flawed jacket; I had to kick and scream for them to even admit it didn't fit right. One salesman was great, and he was the main guy I dealt with, but a few others... unreal how rude and unaccommodating they were. Still, I've got the tux; it fits, and so ends the saga. Thanks for all of your help and advice!

5. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Glad to hear it all worked out. Good for you for sticking up for yourself and demanding what you wanted in the face of bad advice from the store staff. Really too bad thu wouldn't take enough pride in their shop's product to give you good advice on fit.

6. guymac12

guymac12 Senior member

You could definitely use a back up plan in cases like this. Better be safe than sorry.

7. Snedley

Snedley Senior member

You say that you tried a 38 on and it fit perfectly so what's the problem?Just wear it. I really hope that you didn't fiddle around with it like the average SF nerd until you ruined it. That's really your fault.

8. jawboneofa

jawboneofa Senior member

He said it fit almost perfectly, went to the in-house tailor for non-crazy alterations, and came back shit. How exactly is that his fault?

OP, I'm glad it worked out well. Sounds like you kept your head about you, which is impressive with the wedding fast approaching. Congratulations and enjoy yourself!

9. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

Hard to say without ever seeing pics of anything, but i get the poster's point. Alteration tailors are generally lazy, they like to keep alterations simple. Easier work just shortning sleeves and hemming pants. If it fit almost perfectly I doubt a tailor would go much. Basic to me sounds like shortening/lengthen sleeves, hem pants, letout/take in waist/seat, and side seams in/out.

None of this would affect the chest or the shoulders. It sounds strange to me that a perfectly fitting tux, would be so f'd up it couldn't be fixed.

anyways regardless of everything, if you are getting married all future grooms should get their outfits with earlier to give themselves a good buffer zone in case of messups. Be prepared with like 1-2 months to spare to save you this madness.

10. bicktrav

bicktrav Active Member

You're absolutely right. It doesn't make sense that the jacket fit nearly perfectly, and came back ill-fitting. I don't know what to tell you other than that's exactly what happened. The first time the tailor looked at it, he made a comment about a negligible amount of buckling in the fabric around the right shoulder. He said that he was going to try to do something about it. My guess is that's what started this madness. To your second point about getting a tux 1-2 months in advance of a wedding: that's exactly what I did. I first tried on some time ago. All in all, there were more than 5 different alterations done over the past month or so. If I had waited until last week to buy it, I would have been screwed.

11. bicktrav

bicktrav Active Member

Obviously it didn't fit 100% perfectly. What I meant was that it fit about as well as an off-the-rack tux could. As to your other point, during the initial fitting (before the tux came back screwed up), I gave the tailor absolute freedom to do whatever he felt he needed to do. I didn't nitpick. I didn't say do this or do that. My feeling was that he's the tailor, so he knows better than me. So when the tuxedo came back and didn't fit me it was anything but my fault.

12. bicktrav

bicktrav Active Member

Thanks very much. Just glad the tux finally fits!

13. BUSP

BUSP Active Member

Pics please.

14. joe4u

joe4u Well-Known Member

I'm glad things turned for the better for you anyway. If there's one thing I learned from getting my suits tailor made is that I should be specific about what style I want and know myself in terms of my body measurement so errors are minimal.