What would you do in my situation...?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bicktrav, May 30, 2012.

1. bicktrav

bicktrav Active Member

Really good advice. Thank you!

2. suitedcboy

suitedcboy Senior member

Exactly who measured for the alterations and what were the agreed upon alterations?
    If that tailor is the store's chosen agent for the alterations and they were done not in agreement with you then they do owe you a replacement. If you were not party to the alterations that made the jacket unacceptable then you are not part of the problem. I would definitely tell them in that case that your only culpability in this situation was to have chosen to do business with them.

3. BUSP

BUSP Active Member

This is precisely why the concept of litigation was created. Fuck this store, and fuck this tailor. Call up an attorney friend and have him get on it asap. In the meantime, spend whatever money you believe is necessary to ensure that you look good on your wedding. You can sue the store later to make yourself whole. Also, please share with us the name of the store and location so that nobody else makes the same mistake.

4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Bad advice. The moment you get an attorney involved, everything will grind to a halt and you will get nothing accomplished before the wedding.

5. bicktrav

bicktrav Active Member

The alterations process was very vague, and perhaps this accounts for the sub-par results. The first time, the tailored eye-balled the jacket. He didn't use chalk or pins or anything. He just said, "I know what to do. I'll fix it." Of course, it came back entirely unfixed. The second time, he wasn't even there. The salesman diagnosed all the problems, came up with the remedies and relayed them to the tailor. Probably shouldn't be surprising that it came back even worse. Honestly, apart from shortening the sleeves, I couldn't tell you with any accuracy whatsoever what was done to the jacket.

6. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Did they at least get the sleeve-shortening right? Any time I've had alterations done I've always had the tailor mark or pin the garment, and usually hold it in place for me to look at to indicate approximately what the finished version would look like.

7. BUSP

BUSP Active Member

Heh. Not if he hires competent counsel.

8. bicktrav

bicktrav Active Member

Yeah, they got the sleeves right. I'll definitely have anything I'm being pinned before having it altered from now on. Very sound advice.

9. buzzron

buzzron Well-Known Member

For me I'd rather demand a refund and not deal with them ever.

10. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

As for now, I'd follow NewShoes's advice - hope they have it right today, but if not, give them the alternative of either giving you an unaltered new tux, or face the reversal of charges on your credit card and potential legal action. To be prepared for that case, again, take photos of yourself wearing both the altered and the unaltered jacket.

11. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Time is short. I suggest you immediately start pursuing alternatives. Have a friend "buy" the other tux from the shop for you today. Tee up an outside tailor on the phone and let him know you may be bringing in a tux for alterations over the next couple of days and will need it complete within a week. If the original store-altered tux doesn't look right tomorrow, reject it and deal with your credit card company to do a charge back. Take the new tux to the outside tailor and enjoy your wedding!

Some will say this is not the most honorable way of dealing with a merchant, but I would not hesitate to employ creative approaches when faced with such appalling customer service and you stand to be cheated.

Last edited: May 30, 2012

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Post this thread on twitter, and call out the store by name.

13. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

That would undermine the solution I suggested--particularly if this thread then got tossed into Dumb Threads as a result.

14. suitedcboy

suitedcboy Senior member

This seems to me to put ALL the liability on the tailor and the store for using him. You acted in good faith and they are not acting in good faith to the full extent so far.
    I do think the credit card dispute needs to be initiated immediately if the repairs are not acceptable today so the money is credited as soon as possible.
    I stand by the point that it needs to be stated to them that the only thing you have done that has gotten you to this point is to have chosen this establishment and to work with them on the solution that seems to not be coming. It is possible for things taken in to be let out again with no trace but that will have to be seen. Poor pressing of the coat may make it lose the look that attracted you to that tux.
    BUT, you could also be dazzled by what they do to undo the errors.

15. bicktrav

bicktrav Active Member

Hopefully I'm dazzled. My intent is simply to get what I paid for. I don't care about anything else. I want a tux that looks good one way or another. If it isn't fixed today I'm cancelling the charge on the card. Already lining up some other options.