What would you do if your dry cleaner/alterations guy did this?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by edmorel, May 15, 2006.

1. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

This is not my shirt but its a Lorenzini on ebay. I guess the guy took it in to get the sleeves shortened. Wouldn't you expect the dry cleaner to tell you that they will not shorten it from the shoulders and that they will effectively be ruining the sleeve placket? I only had this happen once on a cheap shirt so I wasn't too bothered but if it was on an expensive shirt................
    [​IMG]

2. coatandthai

coatandthai Senior member

The company Purple Tie does cleaning at our building (pick-up/delivery) and they did this to 2 shirts and put about a 1.5" rubber sole on some RLPL cordovan shoes of mine. I blame myself -- what did I expect from a crappy dry cleaner. Plus, the shoes make me a good inch taller. I'll be ahead of the game when platform shoes come back into style.

3. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Horrible. My alterations guy removed the placket entirely when he shortened a H&K for me so it doesn't necessarily have to be done from the shoulder.

4. Charley

Charley Senior member

Just got the sleeves shortened on a couple of shirts. Remove the cuffs and plackets to do it. Alos had the cuffs tightened. Double cuff shirts - needing new button holes with hand stitching. $35 a shirt to alter - but they were a very good deal when I bought them.

5. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Yeah, my place shortens from the cuff by removing and resewing the placket, for $2.

6. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Rofl!!

7. dare-

dare- Senior member

simply terrible

8. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

My problem with most shirts is that they need to be an inch longer. :-/ I believe I'm roughly a 35-36" sleeve.

9. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

My problem with most shirts is that they need to be an inch longer. :-/ I believe I'm roughly a 35-36" sleeve.

I got the same problem, especially since I lost weight. I have a 36" sleeve length and this wasn't that big of a problem when I was a size 17.5 neck because the sleeves were usually in the 35 or 36 range, but now that I'm a 17 neck, most RTW size 17 shirts seem to come with 34" sleeves, which are way too short. Oh well, just another excuse for getting custom shirts.

10. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

Tailor with a common sense should tell the client that sleeve slit will disappear and it won't look too good.

11. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Tailor with a common sense should tell the client that sleeve slit will disappear and it won't look too good.
    Tailor being the operative word. I wouldn't trust dry cleaner alterations with anything more than cuffing trousers.

12. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Yeah... to answer the question of the thread topic, I'd push them into a lake of fire.

odoreater: Strange, a lot of casual shirts I've seen have far longer sleeves than that. CT makes the only casual shirt that would actually work for me as Medium, as it's 16"/34-35". Considering the seersucker one...