• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you do if you won Twenty Million $$$?

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I watched this new show last night ( Can't remember the name of it ) on TV about a group of people that collectively chipped in dollar bills to enter the Lottery. They won and the group dynamic already has me thinking what I would do if I won that much. This should be an interesting show and I wonder how it would effect your life. Lets hear your plan!

Best Regards,

Gary

"VOTE" www.cbs4boston.com/alist Please!

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Take the money and split it in different banks, open up several brokerage accounts and drop about 80% of it in secure, non-risk investments. Next, I'm driving down to Bal Harbour and buying that pair of Adidas Y-3's Field IV A in Black leather that I saw for $300 (I didn't feel like spending $300 on a single pair of sneakers, again...). After that? I don't know...but I see a full loaded Porsche 911 Turbo in my future, and possibly an F430 and / or classic Ferrari (nothing crazy, a 375 GTB/4 is perfect).

Also, a Blancpain rose gold with white dial perpetual-calendar chronograph or a Patek 3970 R.

Jon.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd buy a place in Monaco.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you select lump sum, you'd end up with 45% of the winning and after federal and state taxes $5M is all you would have left. In NYC, you can live a comfortable and worry-free life, nothing life-altering really. I may retire a little earlier but I don't think I'd quit my job.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd see that $1MM each went to my four daughters, in a trust or some other "safe" endowment. If, after that, I had $1MM left after taxes, I'd simply wake up each morning with the wonderful knowledge that a great deal of the pressure was relieved. Oh, and I might buy a new couch.
smile.gif

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
If you select lump sum, you'd end up with 45% of the winning and after federal and state taxes $5M is all you would have left. In NYC, you can live a comfortable and worry-free life, nothing life-altering really. I may retire a little earlier but I don't think I'd quit my job.

I thought that those lump payments were usually tax free, no?

Anyway, if I won $20m net, I'd quit my job, pay off any of my parents' debts and figure out a way to give them money for retirement. Then I'd buy two homes - a townhouse in Brooklyn ($3-6m) and a farmhouse or beachhouse ($1m). Invest the rest at low risk, then take some time to travel, play, and shop and figure out what I want to do with the rest of my time.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
- Invest in some more commercial real estate
- Ferrari F430
- Aston Martin Vanquish
- MV Agusta F4 Tamburini
- '67 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500
- Vincent Black Shadow
- Breguet 5317 Platinum
- Lange Datograph Flyback Platinum

In that order.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least 15MM stays in conservative investments. For a year, I'd give myself no more than $100,000 to spend while I stave off the inevitable leeches, seductions, and well-intentioned financial blunders and plan how to most productively spend the other $4.9MM.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I'd see that $1MM each went to my four daughters, in a trust or some other "safe" endowment. If, after that, I had $1MM left after taxes, I'd simply wake up each morning with the wonderful knowledge that a great deal of the pressure was relieved.

Oh, and I might buy a new couch.
smile.gif

I saw a wonderful commercial for the lottery once with a older man, who was meant to look very blue collar, putting final touches on several apartments in a small apartment building with maybe 6 units. then he is downstairs, giving a key to each of his kids. I thought that was a great idea.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Ouch:

$5,934,000

Jon.

So what. Then you're living tax free, great weather, a 6-hour train ride to Milan.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I thought that those lump payments were usually tax free, no?
Nope, the IRS always takes a cut of your money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads