What would you do if you saw a dime lying on the street?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Mr_Incognito, Apr 10, 2011.

1. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I recall hearing about police arresting people for picking up a 20 dollar bill. I can't remember which city, but the money was put on the sidewalk intentionally.

2. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

shmoke it

hahahaha. My FIRST thought as well.

3. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Pick it up unless it looks truly nasty e.g. sitting in a puddle or among some truly funky junk.

4. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

It's trash that you can use, so why not pick it up? Helps clean up the community. I was banned from a fast food place because I would pick up the change at the drive-thru. You would not believe the amount of money people would just let accumulate on the street and that's not including what employees pick up every so often. One day I made $4.50.

You're awesome.

5. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

I pick up pennies. Free money. Who the fuck cares, especially in a big city, if you're seen picking up money?

6. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

It's trash that you can use, so why not pick it up? Helps clean up the community. I was banned from a fast food place because I would pick up the change at the drive-thru. You would not believe the amount of money people would just let accumulate on the street and that's not including what employees pick up every so often. One day I made $4.50.

I did this when I was desperately broke. Waited till four am, hit up the fast food strip. [​IMG] Awful time in my life.

7. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I recall hearing about police arresting people for picking up a 20 dollar bill. I can't remember which city, but the money was put on the sidewalk intentionally.
    I got yelled at when I tried to pick up a euro coin at a TSA checkpoint. Something along the lines of "Put it down, that's not yours!". I didn't feel like arguing- if it wasn't after customs and all that crap after entering the US on a long flight, I probably would have, but apparently the high school dropouts have never heard of the doctrine of abandoned property. Because if it's abandoned by the idiot who dropped it with no intention of ever coming back, it is my property now. As for the twenty in the street arrest, christ. Some lawyer should tear them a new one over that just on principle.

8. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

honestly i would pick it up if it were lying near me, it isnt dirty, and it is convenient for me to pick it up (nothing in my hands, etc). if im walking i wouldnt stop.
    i would do it for a nickel as well.
    no shame in that.

9. tweedydon

tweedydon Senior member

Pick it up!

I'm a junior academic! [​IMG]

10. Incman

Incman Senior member

I just picked up two dimes (in two different locations) the other day. As someone above said, goes into the pocket and then the change cup at home, so why not.

11. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i pick up any and all monies, if not simply to drop it in a charity box. somebody needs it

12. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I can't believe that money has been compared to trash in this thread. I am far from the cheapest person on earth and I am enthralled whenever I find money on the ground with no obvious owner. I'd give it back immediately if it were genuinely lost and the person came back for it, but I pick up coins here that are worth .8 of a penny and still get enthused. I'd leave a benji if it were covered in piss and shit, but most every other reasonable situation is fair game.
    I have a couple plastic shopping bags in my foyer closet where I just dump my pocket change every afternoon or evening, and it feels good to know every little bit counts. I put paper and coins in there, so I end up yielding several thousand dollars every few months when I go to cash them in.

When I go down to the parking garage to dump my recycling, I usually see pizza boxes with the loyalty program stamps on them that everybody does here; it's just a matter of ripping them off the sides of the boxes so I collect those and get a free pizza for every 15-20 stamps I collect.

13. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I pick up change as long as it's not really dirty. Once I get a dollars worth of change I usually buy a lottery ticket. It puts the change back into circulation and gives me a change to win millions $ so why not pick it up.

14. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I was banned from a fast food place because I would pick up the change at the drive-thru.

just for picking up change?? what did they tell you?

15. Mblova

Mblova Senior member

Id pick it up and give it to a homeless person.