• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you do if you saw a dime lying on the street?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I recall hearing about police arresting people for picking up a 20 dollar bill. I can't remember which city, but the money was put on the sidewalk intentionally.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
shmoke it

hahahaha. My FIRST thought as well.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pick it up unless it looks truly nasty e.g. sitting in a puddle or among some truly funky junk.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
It's trash that you can use, so why not pick it up? Helps clean up the community. I was banned from a fast food place because I would pick up the change at the drive-thru. You would not believe the amount of money people would just let accumulate on the street and that's not including what employees pick up every so often. One day I made $4.50.

You're awesome.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I pick up pennies. Free money. Who the **** cares, especially in a big city, if you're seen picking up money?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
It's trash that you can use, so why not pick it up? Helps clean up the community. I was banned from a fast food place because I would pick up the change at the drive-thru. You would not believe the amount of money people would just let accumulate on the street and that's not including what employees pick up every so often. One day I made $4.50.

I did this when I was desperately broke. Waited till four am, hit up the fast food strip.
frown.gif
Awful time in my life.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I recall hearing about police arresting people for picking up a 20 dollar bill. I can't remember which city, but the money was put on the sidewalk intentionally.
I got yelled at when I tried to pick up a euro coin at a TSA checkpoint. Something along the lines of "Put it down, that's not yours!". I didn't feel like arguing- if it wasn't after customs and all that crap after entering the US on a long flight, I probably would have, but apparently the high school dropouts have never heard of the doctrine of abandoned property. Because if it's abandoned by the idiot who dropped it with no intention of ever coming back, it is my property now. As for the twenty in the street arrest, christ. Some lawyer should tear them a new one over that just on principle.

Incman

Reaction score
I just picked up two dimes (in two different locations) the other day. As someone above said, goes into the pocket and then the change cup at home, so why not.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i pick up any and all monies, if not simply to drop it in a charity box. somebody needs it

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I can't believe that money has been compared to trash in this thread. I am far from the cheapest person on earth and I am enthralled whenever I find money on the ground with no obvious owner. I'd give it back immediately if it were genuinely lost and the person came back for it, but I pick up coins here that are worth .8 of a penny and still get enthused. I'd leave a benji if it were covered in piss and ****, but most every other reasonable situation is fair game.
I have a couple plastic shopping bags in my foyer closet where I just dump my pocket change every afternoon or evening, and it feels good to know every little bit counts. I put paper and coins in there, so I end up yielding several thousand dollars every few months when I go to cash them in.

When I go down to the parking garage to dump my recycling, I usually see pizza boxes with the loyalty program stamps on them that everybody does here; it's just a matter of ripping them off the sides of the boxes so I collect those and get a free pizza for every 15-20 stamps I collect.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pick up change as long as it's not really dirty. Once I get a dollars worth of change I usually buy a lottery ticket. It puts the change back into circulation and gives me a change to win millions $ so why not pick it up.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was banned from a fast food place because I would pick up the change at the drive-thru.

just for picking up change?? what did they tell you?

Mblova

Reaction score
Id pick it up and give it to a homeless person.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads