What would you do for an internship at Goldman Sachs?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RetroFlow, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Pretty badddddddddddddddd. I came to the realization when I subscribed to the Wall Street Journal twice, but still managed to not read it. I had to force myself to even read a couple pages.
    So quiet life of mediocrity then? Chubby wife, a couple of bratty kids who end up hating you, Toyota Camry, hoping your bonus will help you pay off that garden furniture your stupid wife wanted? Living the American dream, yo... Whats your educational background like? What do you think you're going to end up doing?

2. pokey07

pokey07 Senior member

So quiet life of mediocrity then? Chubby wife, a couple of bratty kids who end up hating you, Toyota Camry, hoping your bonus will help you pay off that garden furniture your stupid wife wanted?

Living the American dream, yo...

Whats your educational background like? What do you think you're going to end up doing?

haha I hope I end up with none of the above...

I went to a state university (maybe top 70?). Overall my college experience was pretty miserable. Everything fell apart when my dad died suddenly. Did pretty horrible for a couple semesters, but was able to pull it together and end up with a decent GPA.

Right now I'm looking into grad degrees in Accounting for people with liberal arts degrees. If I could get into a good program, hopefully I could make some moves from there.

3. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I turned down a GS internship. Not worth my time.

4. RetroFlow

RetroFlow Well-Known Member

I turned down a GS internship. Not worth my time.

You're lying.

5. Oligarch

Oligarch Senior member

I came to the realization when I subscribed to the Wall Street Journal twice, but still managed to not read it. I had to force myself to even read a couple pages.

WSJ is pretty key reading in this world -- even if you're not employed by a bank, you probably have some savings and need to manage those carefully... unless you trust Uncle Sam to do "the right thing"

6. UpperWestie

UpperWestie Senior member

GS does internships. I started one for their DC office but never finished it.

I would go on live TV and beat the shit out of Jim Cramer, I'd be doing some type of service to the community at the same time?[​IMG]

u r hired

7. dv3

dv3 Senior member

work at a hedge fund. hours are much much much better. pay is equal or better. potential pay is better. didn't see any of the top brass at goldman pulling in over a billion last year did we?

8. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

You're lying.
    Hmm? No. I found the people to be absolute idiots. Ended up going to Lehman instead (this was 2003). A fellow Yale alumnus hired me on the spot!

9. UpperWestie

UpperWestie Senior member

I think Lehman has a bunch of internships available

10. RetroFlow

RetroFlow Well-Known Member

Hmm? No. I found the people to be absolute idiots. Ended up going to Lehman instead (this was 2003). A fellow Yale alumnus hired me on the spot!

I was only joking around. But could you comment on the internship application process? You're from Yale? Uh oh...

11. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

I was only joking around. But could you comment on the internship application process? You're from Yale? Uh oh...

WINNAH!

12. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

work at a hedge fund. hours are much much much better. pay is equal or better. potential pay is better. didn't see any of the top brass at goldman pulling in over a billion last year did we?

yes, we all know how hedge funds love fresh out of school undergrads.. totally..

UGH.

13. HedgeFundHotSHot

HedgeFundHotSHot Senior member

uhh, call my dad's friend up

14. HedgeFundHotSHot

HedgeFundHotSHot Senior member

yes, we all know how hedge funds love fresh out of school undergrads.. totally..

UGH.

+1

going for HF without at least 2 years IB experience and only an undergrad is harder than selling Macy's goods at a 150% mark-up on styleforum

15. dv3

dv3 Senior member

UGH.

It is definitely possible and it certainly happens. If he is competitive enough for Goldman IBanking then he can find a hedge fund somewhere that will take him.