• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you do? – EBay mishap.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
About 3 months ago I purchased a pair of Allen Edmonds BIN from EBay. Here is the item: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=190299676512
I knew I was taking a risk because the seller had a stock image and not the actual shoe. But for $50 I took the risk.

The shoes arrive and they are not Clifton's as are pictured but are some rubber soled more casual shoe that looked vaguely like Clifton's but were Cleary not.

I contact seller and let him know he sent the wrong shoe and I want a refund. He gives me one, and after it clears I send the shoes back to him at my own expense.

Fast forward about a month and I get an email saying "where are my shoes????" I don't read the email as I am in the hospital for a few days welcoming my newest child into the world. We get home and I find the shoes waiting for me as they were "refused" at their destination. And I also have a nasty email asking why he didn't have his shoes yet. To respond to his nasty email I send this:

"Let me get this straight?

You send me the wrong shoes. As I use a mail service it cost me $3 to pick them up.

I return the shoes to you at my cost. Another $12.

The shoes get refused by you or someone at your address - #XXX XXXX XXXXX and get sent back to me.

Again $3 charge for me to pick them up.

So now I am out $18.00 and change.

Then you send me a nasty email.

Do I have this all straight?

So what do you want me to do now? I thought about sending them COD, but if I do I will be out the cost of sending them (for a second time) plus the COD charge plus $3 if you refuse them a second time."

His response:
Contact me no more about this item. You must be nuts, you think you can keep someone else's mdse.A$$hole.

So now I have these shoes I don't want, but I don't know what to do with them. Despite this guy being a jerk I would still like to get the shoes back to him. I haven't tried email him again yet to resolve this yet. I tempted to donate the shoes to good will?

Thoughts?

Nexus6

Reaction score
hey those are my size!
I'll take them
smile.gif

JohnD356

Reaction score
If there's no chance your PayPal account will be charged back, I'd just send him a final email saying you'll hold the shoes for another week or two if he wants to pay for the return shipping. After that, they'll go to Goodwill. I think you've done enough.

Macallan9

Reaction score
Just keep the shoes or donate them. Wash your hands of this.

Nexus6

Reaction score
No no no they don't go to Goodwill.
I'll pay the shipping.
I want them.
smile.gif

marin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
I contact seller and let him know he sent the wrong shoe and I want a refund. He gives me one, and after it clears I send the shoes back to him at my own expense.

His response:
Contact me no more about this item. You must be nuts, you think you can keep someone else's mdse.A$$hole.

Unless I missed something, this seems pretty straightforward. You already received a refund, and the seller doesn't want to deal with this any more. Do whatever you like with the shoes. Perhaps selling them on B&S will enable you to recover your shipping expenses.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marin
Unless I missed something, this seems pretty straightforward. You already received a refund, and the seller doesn't want to deal with this any more. Do whatever you like with the shoes. Perhaps selling them on B&S will enable you to recover your shipping expenses.

Bingo - you beat me to it.
fistbump.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
About 3 months ago I purchased a pair of Allen Edmonds BIN from EBay. Here is the item: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=190299676512
I knew I was taking a risk because the seller had a stock image and not the actual shoe. But for $50 I took the risk.

The shoes arrive and they are not Clifton's as are pictured but are some rubber soled more casual shoe that looked vaguely like Clifton's but were Cleary not.

Fast forward about a month and I get an email saying "where are my shoes????" I don't read the email as I am in the hospital for a few days welcoming my newest child into the world. We get home and I find the shoes waiting for me as they were "refused" at their destination. And I also have a nasty email asking why he didn't have his shoes yet. To respond to his nasty email I send this:

"Let me get this straight?

You send me the wrong shoes. As I use a mail service it cost me $3 to pick them up.

I return the shoes to you at my cost. Another $12.

The shoes get refused by you or someone at your address - #XXX XXXX XXXXX and get sent back to me.

Again $3 charge for me to pick them up.

So now I am out $18.00 and change.

Then you send me a nasty email.

Do I have this all straight?

So what do you want me to do now? I thought about sending them COD, but if I do I will be out the cost of sending them (for a second time) plus the COD charge plus $3 if you refuse them a second time."

His response:

So now I have these shoes I don't want, but I don't know what to do with them. Despite this guy being a jerk I would still like to get the shoes back to him. I haven't tried email him again yet to resolve this yet. I tempted to donate the shoes to good will?

Thoughts?

open a paypal Significantly Not as Described claim right away ,and if that fails go through your credit card for a charge back issue. this is unacceptable

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnD356
I think he has his money back. And the shoes.

the issue is whether there is some way that paypal can take the refund back.

If not, I agree have one more attempt at it. But with respect to your first e-mail, I don't believe you were direct/clear enough. Did you clarify with him whether you got the return address right? What if the address was off by a digit. Are you sure someone refused delivery? Why don't you ask him if there is another address to send the shoes to and if he wants them, you'll send at his expense.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
open a paypal Significantly Not as Described claim right away ,and if that fails go through your credit card for a charge back issue. this is unacceptable

Just to be clear I did get the my money refunded. My issue is now I have these shoes that aren't really mine, but I am not willing to spend anymore money to return them (again) and the seller is being an jerk about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads