• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you criticize about this scarf?

marg

Reaction score
the first thing i thought was "gym shorts"

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife has that scarf but it's her gym pants. I think it's a pretty popular style now for pants! For scarves I prefer solids or a check pattern.

ktrp

Reaction score
Looks like a great way to communicate to other alumni of Eton that you are an Eton old boy.

Which you are ... right?

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like a nice scarf, add it to your collection.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp
Looks like a great way to communicate to other alumni of Eton that you are an Eton old boy.

Which you are ... right?

You are quite concerned about the social significance of the colour combination. If you believe the social significance of the colour combination is a problem, we can change this aspect of the scarf to your own preference, and then if you like discuss any other aspect of the scarf.

(Do you really believe ........ or Old ......... communicate that they are connected to ..... in this manner? Is it possible in ...... one might learn to ascribe other colour combinations particular significance and adapt these to communicate?)

Which colour combination do you prefer?

Or in other words: is there any colour combination you deem beautiful in and of itself?

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philip1978
Looks like a nice scarf, add it to your collection.

I don't have a collection yet, so it would take the chronologically first place in it. You sound like a scarf collector?

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
My wife has that scarf but it's her gym pants. I think it's a pretty popular style now for pants! For scarves I prefer solids or a check pattern.

My own lady pointed out a scarf in a show window - which appeared from a distance to be of one colour, but might have been a mixture of two - and said its knit is called pearl. When I went in the shop to inquire later about the scarf, the saleslady told me it was made for the winter season by Lanvin and sold out.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marg
the first thing i thought was "gym shorts"

You're right - I overlooked this connotation because I haven't been in a gym for a long time. I decided against a summer jacket from New & Lingwood because its patter was of three stripes which reminded me of those athletic star commercials for a brand which I would not be paid to advertise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads