• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you buy in London?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, tickets purchased and hotel reservations are set for my short trip to london in April. So, now I'm wondering what some ideas might be for purchases while there? I don't want to break the bank by any means (sort of like I did in Manhattan in December.....)

I was thinking maybe a nice english umbrella with solid cane shaft, some streetwear, and....?? ideas, please!

I'm looking forward to visiting edward green, but how much would the newmarket boots run now that the dollar is getting beaten down by the british pound, like a drunk fat man in a wifebeater shirt punching a hooker in the stomach?

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go to Old Bond Street/Jermyn Street and should have all the shops you need including John Lobb shoes. Last time I went last September, I visited Taylor's and bought all the shaving/grooming essentials. Might as well get a good shave while you're there. Make sure you say hi to Leonard, he's running the store and the third or fourth generation of Taylors. He'll even tell you which cologne Prince Charles wear. There's always No. 1 Savile Row Gieves and Hawkes for bespoke suits and if you like young sportswear, visit Maharishi boutique at Covent Garden and get a good haircut from Trebor Sorbie across the street. A good Fish n' Chips is called Sea Shell around the station from Marylebone. If you have time, go for high tea or better yet a nice dinner for two at the Savoy. Enjoy London, I absolutely love it.

coachvu

Reaction score
My treat last time I went was a Geo F. Trumper badger brush, stand, and shaving soap. A Brigg umbrella sounds like a good idea, as well.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
all excellent ideas!! i will definitely add a shave a geo trumper to the list, and was thinking about where to get a very cool, sharp new haircut. i couldn't find anything online about Trebor Sorbie, though. Can someone recommend the best hair salon for men in london?

Umbrellas-- Brigg or Fox?

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trebor Sorbie? Is that the guy who charges a fortune for his designer mints?
wink.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
Umbrellas-- Brigg or Fox?
Why not go to James Smith? Cheaper than Brigg and harder to find in the US.

sloaney

Reaction score
Get yourself a Barbour quilted jacket
Very chic out of England, though less so now since every other NYC yuppie banker is wearing them walking up and down Madison Avenue

11hr

Reaction score
If you are looking for a sharp new 'do, I might consider seeking out one of the salon schools or look for "models wanted" sign in the high end chains. I tried to schedule a Vidal Sasson cut, but couldnt, then right around the corner from Savile Row saw a sign at Toni and Guy. For a $10 tip I had the best haircut of my life from someone who had switched salons and was learning the "house style".

As RJMan said, a look at James Smith Umbrellas, as they cut to your height.

If you want to see a bit of the old British Empire, stop in Purdey or Holland and Holland. Sloan Square area, I think. Fox tobacco for the same sort of deal.

I would also seek out an old chemist for shaving gear. I ended up getting a Vulfix brush for 1/3 the price of Taylor's. Kent brushes are also nice and seem very "English" to me.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 11hr
If you are looking for a sharp new 'do, I might consider seeking out one of the salon schools or look for "models wanted" sign in the high end chains. I tried to schedule a Vidal Sasson cut, but couldnt, then right around the corner from Savile Row saw a sign at Toni and Guy. For a $10 tip I had the best haircut of my life from someone who had switched salons and was learning the "house style".

As RJMan said, a look at James Smith Umbrellas, as they cut to your height.

If you want to see a bit of the old British Empire, stop in Purdey or Holland and Holland. Sloan Square area, I think. Fox tobacco for the same sort of deal.

I would also seek out an old chemist for shaving gear. I ended up getting a Vulfix brush for 1/3 the price of Taylor's. Kent brushes are also nice and seem very "English" to me.

Vulfix makes a nice brush, but certain shaving connoisseurs say that Simpson's makes an ideal brush. They also take old ivory snooker balls to recycle them as handles for their brushes.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Why not go to James Smith? Cheaper than Brigg and harder to find in the US.

and they will cut it to your hieght right then and there.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, how about a good bookstore on/ close to piccadilly? I'd like to pick up the The Man's Book by Thomas Fink, British Style by Roetzel (any info on this book??) and maybe Hackett's book Mr Classic

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
ok, how about a good bookstore on/ close to piccadilly? I'd like to pick up the The Man's Book by Thomas Fink, British Style by Roetzel (any info on this book??) and maybe Hackett's book Mr Classic
Why, there's a Waterstone's on Jermyn St.

However, Mr Classic is a LOT of money for a lot of Hackett ads and a few pages of nearsighted-size large print copies of Jeremy Hackett's columns.

Do you mean British Tradition by Roetzel? It's an interior design book. From the Amazon.uk synopsis:
Synopsis
"British Tradition and Interior Design" gives readers an insight into the lifestyle and culture of the inhabitants of the British Isles. It takes you to historical palaces, mansions, manor houses and apartments, both in the country and in cities, explains their architecture and history, and describes the classical furniture and accessories that are a must in those bastions of traditional style. Why is the Great Hall today only used as an entrance hall, and when did the rooms become what they are now? How have the functions of dining rooms and living rooms, nurseries and studies changed over the years? Where did the King go when he felt the call of nature? And on what sort of mattress does today's queen sleep? Explore the various rooms and halls of British homes, their diverse history and current uses. This book traces the roots as well as the current characteristics of the world of British homes and life.
crazy.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads