1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What Words Do You HATE?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by athletics, Jun 21, 2008.

1. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Kop, in the SW&D sense.

2. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Not a word, but I hate how people refer to any scandal with the suffix "-gate".

+1

3. George

George Senior member

Ending a sentence with the phrase '...is to die for' - pisses me off no end

As does:

The word, paradigm.

Also, like Label King, I hate 'Hubby'

4. FtRoyalty

FtRoyalty Senior member

British-spelled words or slang used by non-British people.

5. RSS

RSS Senior member

British-spelled words or slang used by non-British people.
    We dual nationals -- well tri-nationals -- sometimes can't help ourselves. It's part of our local -- depending upon our perspective of the day -- colour.

6. Travesty

Travesty Member

"Yummy" - in any context but food (and even then it's awful). +100 if said by a gent.

7. FtRoyalty

FtRoyalty Senior member

We dual nationals -- well tri-nationals -- sometimes can't help ourselves. It's part of our local -- depending upon our perspective of the day -- colour.

I have no problem with the dual and tri nationals. However, I have a problem with born and raised American citizens using those terms to come off as more cultured and intelligent than they actually are.

8. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

I have no problem with the dual and tri nationals. However, I have a problem with born and raised American citizens using those terms to come off as more cultured and intelligent than they actually are.

Well, how else would they makes themselves appear more cultured and intelligent than they actually are ?

9. allain2289

allain2289 Member

+1
    + another 1

10. word

word Senior member

Bro and other made up bro words. "Well the bible says..." yea...right. What bugs me more is when people use certain words too much. For example I have a friend that uses "awesome" for everything. You say your day is going well she says awesome. You say you ate at [whatever] it's awesome. Ask her about something she did recently and it's awesome. Come on... [​IMG] Pay attention to your friends next time and see if they have certain words they use too often. Once you realize what they are it's hilarious to predict when they will use them.

11. KidFlo

KidFlo Member

I don't know about you guys but I absolutely HATE GUAP, I hear people say this, and I cringe. It's slang for money.

12. RSS

RSS Senior member

Surely you know at least one American (by birth ... and often a climber) who speaks with a British accent? These people never cease to amuse me.

13. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Lately I am hating on "snowpocalypse."

It was funny last year when we had that ridiculous series of storms roll thru the east coast and got unprecedented amounts of snow that shut things down.

But the term is sooooo last winter and this latest storm didn't hold a candle to what we got last year.

14. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

'hook-up'

'crucial'....frat boy speak..."Dude, that Red Bull I downed at 2am was CRUCIAL"

15. *#..

*#.. Senior member

I hate the phrase "that sucks". To me, it just epitomizes unconcern for the other person.
    I also don't like any hip-hop slang like ima, finna, bruh, swag, etc. Complete disgrace to the English language. Hella is hella up there as far as words I don't like, and I'm from Northern California. The same goes for NorCal and SoCal, can't stand them, especially when they're stickers on people's cars.

16. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

I also don't like any hip-hop slang like ima, finna, bruh, swag, etc. Complete disgrace to the English language.

+100000.

The only thing worse than hip-hop slang is people looking at you strange when you DON'T use it!

17. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Bro.
    Pay attention to your friends next time and see if they have certain words they use too often. Once you realize what they are it's hilarious to predict when they will use them.

+10000000000000000000000

18. *#..

*#.. Senior member

+100000.

The only thing worse than hip-hop slang is people looking at you strange when you DON'T use it!

Ah man, I'm glad someone here agrees with me. I know how that is. I've always been called "whitewashed" for never being into that slang and the whole baggy jeans fashion. I grew up in a place where most of the other kids talked like that, and I was one of the few that didn't speak "ebonics".

19. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Ah man, I'm glad someone here agrees with me. I know how that is. I've always been called "whitewashed" for never being into that slang and the whole baggy jeans fashion. I grew up in a place where most of the other kids talked like that, and I was one of the few that didn't speak "ebonics".

In fact, I have been told I look too well put-together, clean-shaven etc and have been told by a colleague to show up to work unshaven and looking scruffy once in a while. I work in a professional IT environment... [​IMG]

20. word

word Senior member

Gotta love how they get offended when you ask them to repeat something because you genuinely didn't understand. Goes for redneck speak as well as ebonics.