What wine for $300 budget

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by SField, Apr 13, 2010.

1. SField

SField Senior member

Going to a tasting/gathering. Have to contribute one bottle, suggested budget up to $300.

What are you suggestions? I know there will be some sort of Screaming Eagle there and an Yquem so no need for a big cab or a sauternes.

There will be about 5-6 bottles. It's informal so progression isn't terribly important.

Would like to hear your suggestions.

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Or try to find a bottle of Didier Dageneau Silex or Pur Sang. The guy is dead so obviously this might be the only chance you and your friends have to taste his wine. It costs well under $300 but will likely be the best bottle you guys drink that night.

4. SField

SField Senior member

Or try to find a bottle of Didier Dageneau Silex or Pur Sang. The guy is dead so obviously this might be the only chance you and your friends have to taste his wine. It costs well under $300 but will likely be the best bottle you guys drink that night.
    Last time I was with this guy there was a 67 Yquem so this had better be fucking good wine. Let me check what I can find. Any particular years I should be interested in?

5. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Last time I was with this guy there was a 67 Yquem so this had better be fucking good wine. Let me check what I can find. Any particular years I should be interested in?

Manton or Gomestar can probably answer this better. They shared a bottle a while back. Actually hang on, i'll grab the link so you can read it.

Edit: Gome's write up on Silex http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=2575
    Manton's on Silex http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=2571
    Pio's on Pur Sang http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=4241

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Chave Hermitage, though I don't know that you can find a mature one for under $300. Maybe a 1989 or 90 Chateau Beaucastel CdP. They are as unusual a great wine as you will ever find, with all of the smell of barnyard and poop.

7. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

Other an no big cabs and no Sauternes are there any other guidelines?

Would a champagne be out of place? A magnum may be appropriate and IMO, there are a lot of very interesting options here, from respectable vintages.

Or a vintage port? Typically, '63s and '77s and other years are readily available.

This may help narrow the field and identify some other interesting candidates.

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

The Didier is actually a good idea. Nobody will have anything close, yet it will be a major player. You could swing a 1.5 for $300

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

You can get a really nice, mature magnum of port for that type of cash.

I've not noticed any suggestions for a Pinot yet either, be it Old or New world.

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I've not noticed any suggestions for a Pinot yet either, be it Old or New world.

the price says old world, but anything recent is still going to be very young, almost too young to really enjoy properly. Best bet would be to seek out something older, but sourcing this can be a dubious task.

11. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I would not get the 2005 Leoville Las Cases. I have tasted that and while from what little I could tell it was very impressive I could get close to nothing out of it. It needs a million years.

12. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Zachys is certainly a good place to browse, and you've been given a lot of good tips above.

One other thought-- Burgundy, while dangerous to rely on, is somewhat less expensive than Bordeaux of comparable quality. Supply is lower, but so is demand, as it is much harder for Wall Street traders to memorize and buy in quantity.

There are a lot of ways to go with this but a stellar Burg from a good but not fantastic year could provide a lot of pleasure. If nothing else, it will be more drinkable than a bigger year from the same period. The 2000 Leroys, for example: http://www.nywines.com/search.aspx?search=leroy The very best high-end 1997s could serve the same function if you can find them.

13. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Zachys is certainly a good place to browse, and you've been given a lot of good tips above.

One other thought-- Burgundy, while dangerous to rely on, is somewhat less expensive than Bordeaux of comparable quality. Supply is lower, but so is demand, as it is much harder for Wall Street traders to memorize and buy in quantity.

There are a lot of ways to go with this but a stellar Burg from a good but not fantastic year could provide a lot of pleasure. If nothing else, it will be more drinkable than a bigger year from the same period. The 2000 Leroys, for example: http://www.nywines.com/search.aspx?search=leroy The very best high-end 1997s could serve the same function if you can find them.

I have not found this to be true, or really even close to true. Am I shopping in the wrong places?

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I have not found this to be true, or really even close to true. Am I shopping in the wrong places?
    No, I think it is the exact opposite, actually.

15. SField

SField Senior member

Didier sounds extremely interesting. From what I read you all had the 04?