1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What will be the embarrassing look of our time

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by j, Apr 27, 2005.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I think that most men will cringe. The high/low concept is one of the most difficult to do (I hardly even try it, and have suggested it only to my very, very coolest clients, who are generally doing it well anyway, and require only a little tweaking.) The (obviously from a suit) jacket with a thin knit (whether it be a hoodie, a Simon Cowell fitted tee, or a striped button down tucked into jeans, with metrosexually fitted jeans (mid low rise that fit *too* well - usually immaculate condition) and black shoes and belt - this look is guaranteed to go down blazing.

2. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

The term "hoodie"

3. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

two references to 'american idol' personalities so far. i think this is significant.

as a corollary, i predict william hung to be the next hedi slimane.

4. Nil

Nil Senior member

1) Ridiculously oversized clothing
    2) Wearing women's jeans
    3) "Vintage" $90 T-shirts
    4) Pre-torn, dirty, wrinkled, and any other assorted damaged clothing

5. mrgoblueguy

mrgoblueguy Senior member

Anything from American Eagle or Abercrombie, pre distressed jeans and hats, hoodies, low rise jeans with thongs showing.

6. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

I have no professional or even academic experience in fashion, but I think that some things that people decry here are not soon to pass, rather they will be with us for a very long time.

Take pre-distressed jeans [please.].  These are just jeans that are pre-worn, or pre-broken in by various means.  Once upon a time, people only bought jeans that were stiff and dark and new, and then strove to break them in themselves.  People with well-worn jeans may have been admired [cowboys, for example] but everyone had to do it themselves.

Now the engines of fashion have figured out how to exploit this desire.  Capitalism basically works by letting everyone do what you do best and then trading with the other people who do other things best, as I recall from Adam Smith.  A darker view of this is that the economy keeps growing by taking things away from you and then selling them back to you.  For example, once upon a time, most people not eating in restaurants made their own meals.  Now, for an additional sum, you can buy prepared foods, and many people do.

Just as people long for a well-made meal, they long for a well-broken-in pair of jeans.  Yet fewer people have the time to do it themselves.  Enter pre-distressing.  It is at an excessive point now, yes, but from now on I believe it will always be with us, because it is a purchasable symbol of the leisure that we no longer possess.

Re: high-low: the particular high-low style may pass, but this basic tension is what makes fashion exciting; therefore the tension is perennial.  At the moment, the suit jacket is still 'high' because it is close to its business origins, but in the least few years designers have been working overtime to bring the suit coat down to the jeans level by various means -- making it in unbusinesslike fabrics, appliquÃ[​IMG]ing it or pre-distressing it [see above], or changing its proportions by shortening or tightening it.  One thing that is only beginning to be explored is fashioning suit-coat-like clothing in athletic fabrics.  In the late 90s, I remember admiring a Moschino blazer made of that perforated black tracksuit nylon.  So although you may now despair of the suitcoat-with-hoodie, you may soon a single garment that merges them.

Yours in Brooklyn,

mack11211

7. Nil

Nil Senior member

There are actually jackets like that now, I believe Triple 5 Soul makes them. Though they really are nothing more than the sweatshirt hoods sewn onto the coat.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Actually, as far back as the early nineties, Emporio Armani showed a suit with the lapels merging into a hood. I thought that was pretty cool even back then. In early collections, Neil Barrett, who is know for making very wearable clothiing, had a jacket with an attached hood. And just last season, Yoko Devereaux made a terrific version of what Armani had done long before, but with a better cut and better proportions and details (shorter skirt, patch pockets and a should reinforcement in either same colored leather or wool, and a larger hood that transitioned more smoothly into the lapels.) Now, can this be technically called a sportjacket? I don't know? But it is a pretty incredible piece of outerwear.

Mack's opinion was very well informed. I doubt that "distressed" jeans will ever really leave. As I stated earlier, I think that the distressing was a natural evolution form stonewashing. I do think, however, that the excesses we see now will disappear, as has happened for a long, long time.

9. j

j Senior member Admin

When I win the lottery, I plan to have myself cloned and make my clone wear my jeans to perform manual labor. That way they will wear in perfectly as if I myself wore them, but I will be able to sit poolside all day or whatever it is that ultra-rich people do, while it happens.

1 person likes this.
  10. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

You can count on pretty much everything that is trendy right now will look dated in a few years time. We will look back on it and laugh. However, give it a short time after that and people will start wearing it again.

There is never anything "new" in fashion. Fashion evolves from previous fashions. Sometime in the future, you will see all the trends now re-emerge with only minor tweaking so that they look updated.

Think about it: The whole skinny suit thing is just a rehash of the hipsters in the 60's, and the distressed jeans look is from the 70's.

11. Nonk

Nonk Senior member

The most dreadful trends at the moment are the whole "bed" hair movement, the aforementioned trainer/bowling shoe bastard hybrid but my personal sartorial satan FCUK items, especially, sadly as in the case of quite a few grown men I know worn by those in their mid thirties up (including one man in his fifites). Semi-moronic rather than semi-ironic in my view I shake my head with a sort of resigned disgust when friends of mine who really should know better turn up dressed head to foot in this crap.

FCUK? more like WNAKER

12. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I take great satisfaction in doing repairs on my house. Presently I am restoring the exterior, replacing fascia and soffits, repainting, etc. This work affords me many opportunities to wear in a pair of jeans (and not hire contractors [who are usually in a rush and so screw things up worse than they were originally]). I bet my work jeans (standard Levis) look more unique and fit better than any designer jeans you will find.

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Hey. That's my Speedcats you're talking about there buddy. Nothing is better than a good driving shoe to drive stick with.

Jon.

14. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

(j @ April 30 2005,13:44) Just as people long for a well-made meal, they long for a well-broken-in pair of jeans. Â Yet fewer people have the time to do it themselves. Â Enter pre-distressing. Â It is at an excessive point now, yes, but from now on I believe it will always be with us, because it is a purchasable symbol of the leisure that we no longer possess. When I win the lottery, I plan to have myself cloned and make my clone wear my jeans to perform manual labor. That way they will wear in perfectly as if I myself wore them, but I will be able to sit poolside all day or whatever it is that ultra-rich people do, while it happens.
    I take great satisfaction in doing repairs on my house. Â Presently I am restoring the exterior, replacing fascia and soffits, repainting, etc. Â This work affords me many opportunities to wear in a pair of jeans (and not hire contractors [who are usually in a rush and so screw things up worse than they were originally]). Â I bet my work jeans (standard Levis) look more unique and fit better than any designer jeans you will find.
    not even a MTM prada jeans ? [​IMG] .luc

15. Oltmann

Oltmann Senior member

You're probably right, but unfortunately the only thing they go with is a one-piece Nomex fire suit and a Snell certified helmet. Â [​IMG]

16. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

(johnapril @ May 02 2005,07:00)
    Just as people long for a well-made meal, they long for a well-broken-in pair of jeans. Â Yet fewer people have the time to do it themselves. Â Enter pre-distressing. Â It is at an excessive point now, yes, but from now on I believe it will always be with us, because it is a purchasable symbol of the leisure that we no longer possess. When I win the lottery, I plan to have myself cloned and make my clone wear my jeans to perform manual labor. That way they will wear in perfectly as if I myself wore them, but I will be able to sit poolside all day or whatever it is that ultra-rich people do, while it happens.
    I take great satisfaction in doing repairs on my house. Â Presently I am restoring the exterior, replacing fascia and soffits, repainting, etc. Â This work affords me many opportunities to wear in a pair of jeans (and not hire contractors [who are usually in a rush and so screw things up worse than they were originally]). Â I bet my work jeans (standard Levis) look more unique and fit better than any designer jeans you will find.
    not even a MTM prada jeans ? Â [​IMG] .luc
    Don't those things have, like, satin(?) seams and, like, rubber nuggety fob-like, uh, thing-ies all over them for a total $325 cost-ing-like...a lot even for a Van Damme high-kicking nunchucka mutha?

17. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

They can't look better than my Levi's with black rubberized roofing compound and paint on them from when I recently re-roofed the family room on my house [​IMG] I even have a matching pair of sneakers. Do you think we could sell these jeans on Ebay as one-of-a-kind collectors items? On a related note, any idea what type of cleaning will take rubberized roofing compound out of denim?

18. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

(johnapril @ May 02 2005,07:00) I bet my work jeans (standard Levis) look more unique and fit better than any designer jeans you will find.
    They can't look better than my Levi's with black rubberized roofing compound and paint on them from when I recently re-roofed the family room on my house [​IMG] I even have a matching pair of sneakers. Do you think we could sell these jeans on Ebay as one-of-a-kind collectors items? On a related note, any idea what type of cleaning will take rubberized roofing compound out of denim?
    If you reroof my house, I'll buy them off you in trade. [​IMG]

19. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

Men wearing tight women's jeans

Jeans worn with the crutch at their knees

All jogging wear

Slogan t shirts

Weird knits

Etc etc:)

20. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

2005, nice. We can now pass judgement on the predictions from 2005.

2 people like this.