• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What were you wearing back then?

naturlaut

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what were you guys wearing before you develop your taste in clothing and ultimately into sartorial refinement? Most of you possess very good tastes and very sharp eyes. For example, Bengal Stripes --- what were you wearing before your collection of EGs? Or Mr. Harris --- before Barbera and Castangia? Or Thracozaag --- before Kiton and Lobb? -- (when we were back in J'yard we were already quite sick).

Naturlaut

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I recall when I was about 8 or such I took to wearing an ascot. I even made a little monocle out of a plastic item. And an opera cape out of a black throw.

Afterwards my style became less theatrical per se, and evolved.

It struck me that I never wear shorts, and go about at home in regular clothes until bedtime.

Classic

Reaction score
Most likely like most, I went through phases during the passage of time.
I recall as a child in grade school wearing jeans most of the time, simply because they were the most rugged clothing my mother could buy that could survive my sports activities.
It was not until high school that I began to develop a taste for the "good stuff" and so became more mindful of what I would wear to class, and other functions.
Shirts and ties were the initial foray, and since then I have acquired a hugh collection of both, especially the ties which to the anger of my wife, I never throw away.
I don't know why, but for some strange reason, shoes were the last item that got my attention, and only recently have I began to really study the shoes I wear and ultimately buy.

Classic

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what were you guys wearing before you develop your taste in clothing and ultimately into sartorial refinement?  Most of you possess very good tastes and very sharp eyes.  For example, Bengal Stripes --- what were you wearing before your collection of EGs?  Or Mr. Harris --- before Barbera and Castangia?  Or Thracozaag --- before Kiton and Lobb? --  (when we were back in J'yard we were already quite sick).

Naturlaut
I remember being shown some Zegna shirts, ties and suits by a friend who had just acquired them, and being blown away--hell I thought Perry Ellis was nice the first time I saw them. But seeing the Zegna things definitely started me down the dark path.

koji

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was interested in clothing far, far back. When I was in Grade 7, though, I visited my aunts and uncles in Hong Kong. I remember that I was really keen on Polo at the time. My much more citywise relatives laughed at my small town ignorance about brands and designers and fashion, and from that time on, I became determined to learn everything there was too learn about fashion and style. I started off reading GQ and started following the different seasons, started reading about fashion history and design, learned about the business by hanging out with people in the industry and doing supplemental reading about as many aspects of the business as I could. Back in grade 7, I was a neo-preppy. For the past decade or so, my uniform has consisted of a backbone of sneakers jeans and tee-shirts, matched with a shirt or a zip up, accesorized with interesting belts, and anchored with a jacket. The look has just become more and more researched with the years, and (perhaps unfortunately) become increasingly expensive (artisanal leather goods and one off pieces from obscure designers don't often go on sale - often my designer/tailored pieces are the ones I got on a real bargain. For example, a $200 Baltazar belt doesn't ever go on sale, while it's not uncommon to find a Corneliani suit for about $250 at a discount store.)

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Diapers...

For real though, ever since I've been old enough to pick out my own clothes I've always made an effort to look good. From wearing the best skater/surfer gear during junior high, to the coolest mall/department store stuff in high school, and then finally the designer stuff (I took this a little overboard) in college.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
red.jpg
Oh, the shame.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lets see, by the 10th grade I was buying Pima cotton 3-button long sleeve polo shirts from Brooks Brothers (for which I received a lot of compliments, quite impressive for high school) and I bought my first Patek that year (a 5065/1A Aquanaut SS/SS {For those of you who followed recent LONG posts will understand my humor in posting that this was my first Patek}).

So, all in all, as long as I can recall I have tried to dress well; or dress as well as possible for the occasion according to the style of the day.

Jon.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I took an interest in dressing not necessarily well, but at least being brand and outfit matching conscious, in my late teens. It's funny to trace back and see what you thought was expensive, quality brands and pieces knowing what we know now. I guess I'm like most, it was a long evolution for me to arrive at this point.

My interest in dressing well has skyrocketed in the past few years, with the discovery of this forum, having a better job with better money than prior years, and simply keen interest in standing out by looking good.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kai, i don't see the shame. i had an outfit like that a couple of years ago. hell, if my hairline weren't receding i'd wear something like that today.
sad.gif
to answer the question, i've cared about my clothes as far back as i can remember. i used to wear a sportcoat and derby cap (those hats that newsboys wear in the 1920s movies-anyone know the proper term for these?) in elementary school. starting in junior high i wore dress shirts and slacks to school, usually with 'dress casual' shoes. i started shaving when i was 12 so it was not uncommon for some of the kids to mistake me for a teacher. those of you from around here know that the odds of finding a kid wearing a sportcoat and slacks at a public elementary school in l.a. (i'm near the beach) are ultra slim. this was during the maui & sons craze. maybe i'm a weirdo. and maybe you guys are my support group.
tounge.gif

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those of you from around here know that the odds of finding a kid wearing a sportcoat and slacks at a public elementary school in l.a. (i'm near the beach) are ultra slim.
Finding an Adult wearing this in LA is ultra slim. Still, I think the people dress well here for the most part. I've seen lots of linen this summer in nice colors.

JohnMS

Reaction score
Kai,

That outfit looks somewhat familiar to me. My outfit around that time (and I'm guessing early 70's here when I was around 10) was a nice velour top in bright yellow with corresponding chocolate-brown cords.

My first venture to the dark side was when I got out of college and started work in my rep stripe, Robert Talbott tie (I owned one). I shared an office with a guy who had worked at clothing stores in the off season. He mentioned how his $800 Hickey Freeman suit only cost him $200. I was curious how he did it and soon learned the evil of bargain shopping.

I went on many trips with him and his wife to NM Last Call sales and that started me going. Then...this Forum....

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finding an Adult wearing this in LA is ultra slim. Still, I think the people dress well here for the most part.

Yeah, L.A. style (and west coat style in general) is pretty laidback. I still think that putting on a jacket over anything counts as getting dressed up. Suits me just fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads