• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What web browser do you use?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Opera was very attractive but then both FF and IE has addons for mouse gestures now...

Originally Posted by huy
Firefox. There is a gesture add on that I use that is not available on any other browser.

I have no clue what you guys are talking about. What are "mouse gestures" and how do they help you browse?

thanks,
b

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mouse gestures help make your browsing faster. Download the addon and give it a try.

You hold down the right mouse button, then use a 'gesture' for common browsing operations like back, forward, home, reload, etc rather than reaching up and hitting the button.

For instance, to go back, hold the right mouse button and flick your mouse to the left and let go of the button. All gestures are completely customizable to your preferences too.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I have no clue what you guys are talking about. What are "mouse gestures" and how do they help you browse?

thanks,
b

I use all-in-one gestures, a firefox plugin. Once you're used to it, your speed is improved by at least 100%. I won't even use a browser without some sort of gestures program.

If you use IE, I suggest Avant Browser. It's based on IE, but has a bunch of cool stuff built in, e.g. tabs, gestures.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chrome, I love it! FireFox uses too much memory up. I don't like to shut down my browser and I do have around 30 tabs open at one time for days.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mouse gestures are a big deal, probably the biggest advance in browsing since tabs.

Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I use all-in-one gestures, a firefox plugin. Once you're used to it, your speed is improved by at least 100%. I won't even use a browser without some sort of gestures program.

If you use IE, I suggest Avant Browser. It's based on IE, but has a bunch of cool stuff built in, e.g. tabs, gestures.

Berticus

Reaction score
Ehh... I think heavy reliance on the mouse is terrible. That's why I picked xmonad and figured out all the keyboard shortcuts for firefox. Everything's a lot faster.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Safari 4 on my MBP w/ Glim for a few tweaks and I use GlimmerBlocker to handle the add blocking (it's a proxy, so it works on all browsers).

I use Firefox 3.0 on my Windows VM and Linux T61.

In Windows and Linux, I find that Firefox is fastest, and the wealth of plugins makes it the best browser overall. In the native MacOS environment, I prefer Safari because it seems a bit quicker and does a better job rendering fonts than Firefox; however, its configurability and lack of plugins makes it feel like a second tier browser. I wish Firefox were as good in native MacOS as Safari in terms of speed and font rendering, but I always find myself coming back to Safari in MacOS.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to have that attitude, but have come to find that a mix of both keyboard shortcuts (hotkeys), AND using the mouse is most efficient. At least in the Windows 95 - XP GUIs.

The right mouse button makes the mouse an incredibly efficient and powerful tool in the Windows OSes.

90% of the time when people at the office ask for help on the computer on how to do something in any application, having them simply right click the mouse and glance at the options provided gets them through it.

Originally Posted by Berticus
Ehh... I think heavy reliance on the mouse is terrible. That's why I picked xmonad and figured out all the keyboard shortcuts for firefox. Everything's a lot faster.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
I used to have that attitude, but have come to find that a mix of both keyboard shortcuts (hotkeys), AND using the mouse is most efficient. At least in the Windows 95 - XP GUIs.

The right mouse button makes the mouse an incredibly efficient and powerful tool in the Windows OSes.

90% of the time when people at the office ask for help on the computer on how to do something in any application, having them simply right click the mouse and glance at the options provided gets them through it.

The keyboard is useful beyond shortcuts and hotkeys. It can drive interactive productivity on its own. The mouse is definitely a helpful and intuitive user interface for the average user, but the good ol' keyboard is also extremely powerful for the more technical user. I don't know what I'd do without a keyboard-driven app launcher.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As an app launcher? What do you do hit the windows key then arrow and enter your way to the app you want?

Something tells me you're a *n*x user rather than Windows.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have been using Chrome since January. Simple and clean.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
As an app launcher? What do you do hit the windows key then arrow and enter your way to the app you want?

Something tells me you're a *n*x user rather than Windows.

I use Quicksilver as my app launcher. No arrows. A few keystrokes maximum to open any app, move files, take screenshots, send an email, write a note/todo, open a bookmark, run a command, etc.

I've been a Windows and Linux/BSD user for over a decade, and I eventually found the best of both worlds in MacOS. I still use Windows in VMWare, and I still have linux on VM and on a dedicated laptop for specific needs. Also, I've never been afraid of change when it comes to user interface. I've taken elements that I learned within each OS and I try to integrate them into all of my environments (e.g., app launchers, no desktop icons, no start menu, no dock, no taskbar, etc) to achieve maximum productivity.

Day 1 of no desktop icons, I thought it was the dumest thing ever. Day 10, I couldn't believe I ever used desktop icons for anything. They are so inefficient. You have to move a bunch of windows out of the way in order to access them. Either that or you give up usable window space for the icons.

Day 1 without a dock in MacOS, I thought I was missing out. Day 2, I realized I was missing out when I had the dock. A mouse shortcut not only takes longer to navigate through, but its a waste of screen space. It also takes time to manage. App launchers solve this problem and many more, and they manage the addition and removal of applications automatically.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll have to check that out. But I hear you on a clean desktop. Windows desktop was not designed as an application launcher but as a workspace much like....well, a desktop!

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't had an item on my desktop in years. I use an auto-hide toolbar on the top with a quicklaunch area for most-used applications, and sub-toolbars to My Computer, My Documents, etc. Other than that, I access other programs from the Start Menu. 90% of my days are spent in a few applications, and with this approach, most of them is just a single click away (slide mouse up, toolbar appears, CLICK, done). Screw trying to remember different keyboard combos for app launcher. I'm getting too old for this ****.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads