1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What watch should my friend get? He has ~$40k budget

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by A Guy from Shanghai, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Achillus

Achillus Senior member

Lol, dude please tell me you're not serious.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  2. blahman

blahman Senior member

Chinese alphamale!

3. chogall

chogall Senior member

+1

or whatever watch brand thats most popular in china. cartier maybe? rolex is prob out of the equation unless he wants to look similar to all those coal mine millionaires.

4. AncientSoul

AncientSoul Well-Known Member

A person who has 40K to spend on a watch should have enough sense and style to pick one himself without asking anyone's opinion.

Maybe my view of the world is too idealistic :happy:

5. earthdragon

earthdragon Senior member

I would do $10 - $15K on an IWC and the rest on Booze, Coke and Hooker's...
    No seriously - IWC 3714, IWC Big Pilot , VC Overseas, (so many options under the $40K range).

6. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Senior member

I agree with the above posters. . .Patek

7. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Not necessarily... The man is either nouveau riche or just has a lack of awareness of finer things and wants to aquire a status symbol.

8. veneto

veneto Senior member

So many rocks up in my watch I can't tell what the time is.

9. kulata

kulata Senior member

P Royal Oak Offshore (With some fancy metal or a limited edition), Platinum IWC Ingenieur a big Patek

10. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Senior member

That is a lot of fucking money to spend on watches. I'd buy a 5k Rollex and invest the rest of the money in something else to make more money.

11. jk2317

jk2317 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Get a real man's watch:

[​IMG]

12. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members

This is a stunningly good point.

13. ineffable

ineffable Senior member

I might be the only one, but I'm a big fan of the Ulysse Nardin Sonata Cathedral.

14. ijesse

ijesse Well-Known Member

replica watches are aweful.

What about a U-Boat?

15. JHBU2011

JHBU2011 Member

replica watches are aweful.

What about a U-Boat?

you should venture over to RWI forum and see just how awful some of these replicas are. At a certain price range it even comes with torubillon.

Then again if its a psychological issue for this man, I would go with a real watch. However, if ever held up at gunpoint I would rather dispense with a replica than a authentic :)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  16. niwawa

niwawa Senior member

U-Boat is a joke!

17. billionaireboy

billionaireboy Senior member

if you are buying in China, you should also note the higher retail price. When I looked at an IWC Portuguese in Beijing, retail was roughly double 50% more than I would have spent stateside. I would recommend hopping over to Hong Kong or Macao to get more bang for your buck.

18. antikantian

antikantian Senior member

If he thinks your IWC Portuguese is a tad small, then I think buying a Patek will be a mistake. Which Portuguese do you have that he saw? The 7 day power reserve is a bit larger than the standard Portuguese chronograph. Something in the 42-47mm range is probably a good bet. That said, if I had $40k to spend, didn't want gold, and wanted to keep it fairly large, I'd look at:

IWC Big Pilot Perpetual in SS
    IWC Portuguese Perpetual (the one with the double moon is 2mm larger than the standard perpetual I believe, but both are beefier than the Portuguese chrono)
    AP Royal Oak Offshore Perpetual in SS (I'm not sure of the retail on this, or availability, but I've seen it pre-owned for well under $40k)
    Some limited edition AP Offshore in SS.

The Patek Nautilus models I believe are in the 40mm range, and the Patek models that are larger than 42mm are few and far between, not to mention north of $40k.

If he likes his JLC Master Compressor, then another good alternative is a JLC Grand Reveil. It has some nice complications (perpetual plus alarm), is large, and comes in SS.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  19. dirtyturk

dirtyturk Well-Known Member

20. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

this is china we're talking about, either you go the sublime alphamale image (for the mainlanders that is) and get a patek - maybe the aquanaut in stainless steel, or go the other route which I would then suggest you ask hermes man for help.