1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What watch do you wear?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by dmash, Oct 8, 2009.

1. apolune

apolune Member

I alternate between these for work. They are both over 120 years old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dmash

dmash Senior member

I alternate between these for work. They are both over 120 years old.

That's pretty awesome...120 years...wow.

3. spencers

spencers Senior member

not to be an asshole but isnt tissot a low budget automatic daily beater watch? for super low budget, i guess you cant go wrong with a seiko
    It's only a $300 watch. And a quartz. I used to have one.
    if you don't mind me asking, how much did the mods cost you? i've been looking for an affordable military watch, and that seiko looks so clean i may have to copy it to the bone. i normally hate replicating items exactly as i see them on others, but that watch is perfect to me [​IMG]
    Search the watchuseek forums for a fella named Yobokies. Show him the picture I posted and tell him you want exactly that. He'll give you a price. BTW, he's in Hong Kong so it takes a couple of weeks to arrive. I didn't incur any customs fees either. [​IMG]

4. centrix

centrix Senior member

A Seamaster is definitely a sporty, everyday watch. It has a diving bezel! I mean a seamaster CAN be dressed up.....but I have never known anyone to consider a Seamaster his go to watch for formal occasions.

best statement yet

funny enough, my beater is my rolex dssd
    and my formal is my rolex milgauss gv...

which are actually pretty similar in price when my dad bought them. i borrow his watches as i really dont work at all, and probably couldnt afford even a timex if i didnt have any family support (for the moment) (yes im a spoilt brat i guess)

ONE DAY I WILL GET TO WEAR THE PATEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. shaftoe

shaftoe Senior member

best statement yet

funny enough, my beater is my rolex dssd
    and my formal is my rolex milgauss gv...

which are actually pretty similar in price when my dad bought them. i borrow his watches as i really dont work at all, and probably couldnt afford even a timex if i didnt have any family support (for the moment) (yes im a spoilt brat i guess)

ONE DAY I WILL GET TO WEAR THE PATEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do you like the Milgauss? How noticeable is the green tint on the crystal?

6. mattah

mattah Member

There are so few Sinn owners in real life... I'm surprised to see two in the first 3 pages of this thread. Here is my daily wearer, a Sinn 656s on rubber strap:
    Sup Sinn 656B wearing buddy! [​IMG] [​IMG] Beater!

7. dmash

dmash Senior member

I really think I'm going to pick up the Stowa Airman no logo.....

I love these German watches...I don't know why I never looked into them before. So clean, so plain, yet so sophisticated.

8. Robert

Robert Senior member

Saw some nice Seiko and Swiss Army "military-inspired" timepieces in the pawn shop this weekend. Cheapest was around 130 bucks. Very nice.

9. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

Was thinking about a seiko from the PSA thread, but I think I'll get this Tissot PR50:

[​IMG]

Also like the Tissot La Locle, but I have no need for a watch over $500 (preferably less), let alone over a grand. The PR50 is only $325 ($300 some places) and has a good waranty.

I'd rather have a bunch of decent watches rather than one or two lux ones (I have a low threshold for defining lux when it comes to watches).

10. wagthesam

wagthesam Senior member

I think some people are associating beaters with casual watches.

beaters are cheap. rolexes are casual.

11. ajchen

ajchen Senior member

What the - another Sinn owner? This is crazy to me... Your 656 looks amazing. Before getting mine I was worried that it would look bad after a lot of wear with the metal showing through, but it's exactly what gives yours character. It looks like it's been through a lot, which is what tool watches are for.
    Sup Sinn 656B wearing buddy! [​IMG] [​IMG] Beater!

12. hypostatic

hypostatic Well-Known Member

13. foxnwolf

foxnwolf Senior member

the last time i wore a watch was back in high school.

it was a swatch watch with the rubber band guard over it.

14. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

there he is
    lol why do you say that? u own a rado? rados are sick and sleek but not too flashy and most idiots dont know what it is which is how i like it. they know rolex, tag, etc but not rado. fine with me

15. centrix

centrix Senior member

I think some people are associating beaters with casual watches. beaters are cheap. rolexes are casual.
    my dad has worn his old gmt II pepsi watch (i believe it was his first watch) with him on his flights in the past (when he was working for the airlines) and when he works on cars and stuff around the house, it kind of has a lot of scratches and definitely looks like it has been through a lifetime of interesting stuff. so yeah his watch is somewhat of a beater watch, probably due to the toughness of the watch. i on the other hand, am not so handy with my hands, thus, casual watch is probably more fitting for me.
    How do you like the Milgauss? How noticeable is the green tint on the crystal?
    it gets old really quickly unless you really like the watch as an entity, really the green tint is not a big deal to me. my AD just advised us to get the gv instead of the normal since the gv seems more likely to hold value.
    they know rolex, tag, etc but not rado. fine with me
    why people seem to like tags eludes me

16. Razele

Razele Senior member

why people seem to like tags eludes me
    This. I have a Seamaster Cosmic from the late 60's and a mid nineties Speedmaster Auto. I'm looking at getting a a stowa airman and after that will look at a sub. I'll probably pick up a clean black / white face vintage omega as well. I like watches but I usually save the purchase for when I finish a degree / life events. So that sub will probably be when I finish my BEconSci in like 5 years.

17. bimmernate

bimmernate Senior member

Generic Google photo but this is exactly what my watch looks like: Rolex 14060M [​IMG]

18. Razele

Razele Senior member

Nice

That's exactly what I'll be getting

19. bimmernate

bimmernate Senior member

Nice

That's exactly what I'll be getting

Its a great watch, very clean looking which is probably my favorite part about it. Obviously they come with dates too, and I have heard that the ones with the COSC rating printed on the dial are actually quite desirable considering they specifically were not produced as long as the non-COSC (Mine).

however, the non-COSC's dial is so damn clean looking it has its own cult following. My local AD actually still has one COSC, and as for non-COSCs there are some good looking pre-owned ones if you look hard enough.

Of course the brand new sub with ceramic dial is damn nice.

20. mattah

mattah Member

I'd love a Rolex, but the problem is that every time I look at the price I see a dozen other watches I would much rather have for the same price. [​IMG]