• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was your starting salary (approx.)?

flirtkakat

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
27k at 21 for now. No real education so even getting a job has been all charm, luck and really hard work. Not too worried, I'm able to live fairly well. I am going to study later on though, just no idea what I'd like to do.

masaccio

Reaction score
$28K USD in 1994 as a university librarian in the South upon completion of my MA (History) and MILS.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
27k at 21 for now. No real education so even getting a job has been all charm, luck and really hard work. Not too worried, I'm able to live fairly well. I am going to study later on though, just no idea what I'd like to do.
Do you live outside of the U.S, or do you live with your parents? These days, $27K seems pretty hard to live on in the US without mooching off of someone.

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Do you live outside of the U.S, or do you live with your parents? These days, $27K seems pretty hard to live on in the US without mooching off of someone.

Depends on your standards. I made $22k in grad school and it was fine. Live with a roommate in a low cost of living area. Rent worked out to $300 a person. Wouldn't have wanted to raise a family on that or anything, but I didn't have to worry about money too much.

flirtkakat

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Living in Sweden, moving into my first own apartment in October so I've been saving alot of money for furniture. Cost of living is rather low, 1 bedroom with kitchen is about $900 in a very central and sought after location, with everything included. And you can eat fairly well at about $500 per month as a single person. Leaves me about 750 to save for clothing or travel or whatever it is I want. That's more than enough for me, as I grew up pretty poor I feel amazingly rich now and can do without pretty easily if necessary.

Edit: 100 posts, I'm such a veteran.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on your standards. I made $22k in grad school and it was fine. Live with a roommate in a low cost of living area. Rent worked out to $300 a person. Wouldn't have wanted to raise a family on that or anything, but I didn't have to worry about money too much.
College kids with roommates aren't quite what I had in mind. You were probably paying for part of your expenses with financial aid, and you'd probably admit yourself that you weren't living an adult life. No adult can live a decent life in the United States on $27K pre-taxes.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

College kids with roommates aren't quite what I had in mind. You were probably paying for part of your expenses with financial aid. No adult can live a decent life in the United States on $27K pre-taxes.

Grad students aren't exactly "college kids with roommates"...

brokencycle

Reaction score

College kids with roommates aren't quite what I had in mind. You were probably paying for part of your expenses with financial aid, and you'd probably admit yourself that you weren't living an adult life. No adult can live a decent life in the United States on $27K pre-taxes.

I beg to differ. I have friends in their PhD programs right now. First, their education is 100% paid for plus they get a stipend. So they live off the stipend, and they live fairly comfortably.

Perhaps it isn't possible to live on $27k/yr in NYC or SF, but for most of fly-over country, it is do-able.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I beg to differ. I have friends in their PhD programs right now. First, their education is 100% paid for plus they get a stipend. So they live off the stipend, and they live fairly comfortably.

Perhaps it isn't possible to live on $27k/yr in NYC or SF, but for most of fly-over country, it is do-able.
Education alone is significantly more than $27K, and depending on the school, room and board may be covered too. They're PhD students, so they're practically living in school (class, research, assisting professors and teaching). That's another example of being shielded by school. Most of the cash drains that adults deal with probably don't exist for them.

Still, we're getting off track...trying to "prove me wrong" rather than dealing with the original comment. Of course you can find unusual examples that don't fit with what I said (particularly, people who are still in school), but my original comment was to a guy who presumably had his first job in the "real world," and was no longer in school. Find someone in that situation who can live with $27K pre-taxes in the US without mooching off of someone. If your friends weren't in school, I'd be willing to bet that they wouldn't be able to live on that amount pre-taxes.

Last edited:

flirtkakat

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Oh the 27k is post-taxes.

brokencycle

Reaction score

Education alone is significantly more than $27K, and depending on the school, room and board may be covered too. They're PhD students, so they're practically living in school (class, research, assisting professors and teaching). That's another example of being shielded by school. Most of the cash drains that adults deal with probably don't exist for them.

Still, we're getting off track...trying to "prove me wrong" rather than dealing with the original comment. Of course you can find unusual examples that don't fit with what I said (particularly, people who are still in school), but my original comment was to a guy who presumably had his first job in the "real world," and was no longer in school. Find someone in that situation who can live with $27K pre-taxes in the US without mooching off of someone. If your friends weren't in school, I'd be willing to bet that they wouldn't be able to live on that amount pre-taxes.

Provided someone doesn't have student loan payments, someone right of college can live on 27k/yr. Assuming 25% tax rate, that's $1687/mo. While not ideal, that is certainly liveable.

Sure my PhD friend lives at school for the most part, but he still has to rent an apartment, have transportation, eat, etc.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Education alone is significantly more than $27K, and depending on the school, room and board may be covered too. They're PhD students, so they're practically living in school (class, research, assisting professors and teaching). That's another example of being shielded by school. Most of the cash drains that adults deal with probably don't exist for them.

Still, we're getting off track...trying to "prove me wrong" rather than dealing with the original comment. Of course you can find unusual examples that don't fit with what I said (particularly, people who are still in school), but my original comment was to a guy who presumably had his first job in the "real world," and was no longer in school. Find someone in that situation who can live with $27K pre-taxes in the US without mooching off of someone. If your friends weren't in school, I'd be willing to bet that they wouldn't be able to live on that amount pre-taxes.

College kids with roommates aren't quite what I had in mind. You were probably paying for part of your expenses with financial aid, and you'd probably admit yourself that you weren't living an adult life. No adult can live a decent life in the United States on $27K pre-taxes.

You've got a pretty narrow vision of a "decent adult life."

Doing PhD work is really more like a job than "being in school" for most STEM people. I've been in the real world for awhile now and my day to day is not very different from grad school. I actually work fewer hours if anything, for a lot more money. I get a salary now instead of a stipend. I never paid tuition. Was certainly not "shielded from the real world," aside from being too busy to worry about spending a lot of money. Not so different from a lot of young professionals, just a different job description. All the same factors would have been there if I had some bachelors level science job, and I'm sure I would have been able to live on the same salary.

I wouldn't have wanted to do the $22k thing forever, but it wasn't that bad. Certainly wasn't eating ramen, Spam, and ketchup. As much of an "adult life" as the one I live now, just more frugal. Absolutely livable without debt or mooching.

Point is: if you're trying to say that it's impossible to live on $27k/year, you're wrong.

Last edited:

sugababy

Reaction score
oh ****... I am making minus 100 k a year now .. so embarrassing ! I am running company right now. hope I will get profits this year for my goodness.

sugababy

Reaction score
oh...maybe someone could offer some help to me ? this is my first time to run a company I swear .

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads