• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was your starting salary (approx.)?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Btw, Conne, I'd not worry about starting salary. I'd worry about possible upside and how long it takes to get there. I'd rather start in the 30s and end up with an SF approved income that start in the 60s and pretty much stay in the 60s or 70s. Quite a few jobs will get you out the gate with a respectable income but the upside is limited and takes time to arrive at.
This is how I've always approached it. Politics tends to be the former. People always say "Just gotta pay your dues early on."
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I agree with this, but not sure how much potential upside there would be in this field. I guess if one distinguished one's self, there is always lobbying or something like that, but I would expect the number of highly-paid jobs in the political appointee sphere at the state level would be pretty limited? I may be wrong.
Not in NY. The NY Legislature, plus the Executive branch, have thousands and thousands of appointee gigs. And then there are the lobbying, PR/communications, etc. jobs. If I had stayed in Ohio politics, I'd absolutely agree with your caveat.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
This is how I've always approached it. Politics tends to be the former. People always say "Just gotta pay your dues early on."
People say that in every field. It's just to make you feel better about being worked like an asshole.

ltb

Reaction score
120ish, this year but oh boy do i have a lot of debt to go with that
frown.gif

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
It's a public service job (not civil service; political appointee position). Benefits are extremely good, naturally, and salary is $33K. It would be in a fairly low COL place (Albany).

I don't know anyone my age, in this field, who makes much more than that. So I think it's fairly standard, but it's not stellar.

I may also get an offer that pays considerably more so we'll see.

If it's the right position and will help you towards the next step, then it sounds fine.

I would ask for them to raise the offer, and if they don't, take the original offer anyway.

Just make sure you aren't still under $40k in 3 years.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First real, full-time job:

$9,600 as a starting assistant professor (but this was in 1969).

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One year as a paid intern between college and grad school, $25/hour, roughly equivalent to $50,000
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
First real job after grad school, $39,000
uhoh.gif
Originally Posted by JLibourel
First real, full-time job: $9,600 as a starting assistant professor (but this was in 1969).
So about $56,000 in today's dollars? I think it's about $70,000 these days (at tier 1).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics