What was your starting salary (approx.)?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Connemara, Dec 19, 2010.

1. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

63 isnt' really lowball for a programmer unless you're some kind of star.. lots of coders well into careers only make that much...

I believe nanyu said he works for a wall street corp? For many of those places 63k is the lower end of their salaries.

2. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

$21,000 a year teaching jr high in 1996.

3. BP348

BP348 Senior member

Joined the military right out of high school. In the next 7 years I made a total of $70K.

4. tweedydon

tweedydon Senior member

$6k, 1995. But by 2000 it had risen to a princely $8.5k! [​IMG] No, I didn't miss out a number there.... Welcome to graduate school.

5. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

6. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Mine was a bit under 40k during my year between undergrad and JD/MBA program. As a liberal arts student, I thought it was pretty generous since I didn't have any skills.
    [​IMG] That's how I feel.

7. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

As a liberal arts student, I thought it was pretty generous since I didn't have any skills.

QFT. I got a foot in the door in '07 with a startup ($32k, customer support) and am quite pleased with my current pay, considering my degree says "Music Performance" on it.

8. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

After law school in 2003 it was 32k, but quickly increased as I proved myself willing and able to defend child rapists and drug dealers.

9. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

42K in 2000 (based on my Army training, not my degree)

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Btw, Conne, I'd not worry about starting salary. I'd worry about possible upside and how long it takes to get there. I'd rather start in the 30s and end up with an SF approved income that start in the 60s and pretty much stay in the 60s or 70s. Quite a few jobs will get you out the gate with a respectable income but the upside is limited and takes time to arrive at.

11. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Btw, Conne, I'd not worry about starting salary. I'd worry about possible upside and how long it takes to get there. I'd rather start in the 30s and end up with an SF approved income that start in the 60s and pretty much stay in the 60s or 70s. Quite a few jobs will get you out the gate with a respectable income but the upside is limited and takes time to arrive at.

I agree with this, but not sure how much potential upside there would be in this field. I guess if one distinguished one's self, there is always lobbying or something like that, but I would expect the number of highly-paid jobs in the political appointee sphere at the state level would be pretty limited? I may be wrong.

12. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Right out of college, 30k, and it wasn't nearly enough because I stupidly rented a place that was half my salary.

13. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

Studied Business & IT and started afterwards in 2008 (age 23) in 2nd Level IT-Support. 65k CHF, with todays exchange rate appr. 67k US$. Was more than I hoped for.
    But who cares how you start, 3 years down the line you're somewhere else. I've been promoted away into a different department and what I do is really different in daily business and also paid different. So I'd say take whatever you get as long as it pays your bills.

14. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Senior member

Out of grad school in 2009: 43K (Sociology major, so there was a similar lack of skills, but thank god for SPSS)

15. chas

chas Senior member

$31K in 2002 in NYC. It was a lean couple years but well worth it.