• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was your starting salary (approx.)?

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
63 isnt' really lowball for a programmer unless you're some kind of star.. lots of coders well into careers only make that much...

I believe nanyu said he works for a wall street corp? For many of those places 63k is the lower end of their salaries.

emptym

Reaction score
$21,000 a year teaching jr high in 1996.

BP348

Reaction score
Joined the military right out of high school. In the next 7 years I made a total of $70K.

tweedydon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$6k, 1995. But by 2000 it had risen to a princely $8.5k!
wink.gif
No, I didn't miss out a number there.... Welcome to graduate school.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nerdykarim
Mine was a bit under 40k during my year between undergrad and JD/MBA program. As a liberal arts student, I thought it was pretty generous since I didn't have any skills.
laugh.gif
That's how I feel.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nerdykarim
As a liberal arts student, I thought it was pretty generous since I didn't have any skills.

QFT. I got a foot in the door in '07 with a startup ($32k, customer support) and am quite pleased with my current pay, considering my degree says "Music Performance" on it.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After law school in 2003 it was 32k, but quickly increased as I proved myself willing and able to defend child rapists and drug dealers.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Btw, Conne, I'd not worry about starting salary. I'd worry about possible upside and how long it takes to get there. I'd rather start in the 30s and end up with an SF approved income that start in the 60s and pretty much stay in the 60s or 70s. Quite a few jobs will get you out the gate with a respectable income but the upside is limited and takes time to arrive at.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Btw, Conne, I'd not worry about starting salary. I'd worry about possible upside and how long it takes to get there. I'd rather start in the 30s and end up with an SF approved income that start in the 60s and pretty much stay in the 60s or 70s. Quite a few jobs will get you out the gate with a respectable income but the upside is limited and takes time to arrive at.

I agree with this, but not sure how much potential upside there would be in this field. I guess if one distinguished one's self, there is always lobbying or something like that, but I would expect the number of highly-paid jobs in the political appointee sphere at the state level would be pretty limited? I may be wrong.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Right out of college, 30k, and it wasn't nearly enough because I stupidly rented a place that was half my salary.

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Studied Business & IT and started afterwards in 2008 (age 23) in 2nd Level IT-Support. 65k CHF, with todays exchange rate appr. 67k US$. Was more than I hoped for.
But who cares how you start, 3 years down the line you're somewhere else. I've been promoted away into a different department and what I do is really different in daily business and also paid different. So I'd say take whatever you get as long as it pays your bills.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of grad school in 2009: 43K (Sociology major, so there was a similar lack of skills, but thank god for SPSS)

chas

Reaction score
$31K in 2002 in NYC. It was a lean couple years but well worth it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads