• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was your starting salary (approx.)?

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$22/hour on contract as an Analyst after being somewhat unemployed for a year after 9/11. Pretty fair given the job climate at the time.

Dude... you're alive!

Last edited:

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeing how I got a lot of help from SF members, and just started a new job two weeks ago.

Graduated in Finance from Michigan State Univ. - first full time offer 40k+1.5k signing bonus + benefits as a Financial Analyst, with a lot of room to move up quickly.

Many thanks to all that helped with advice and etc...

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh **** around $1500/month (which was a lot back in my days) Now $6000/month + bonus.

Last edited:

Maximator

Reaction score
Currently about 55 USD, depending on the exchange rate. I don't work full time hours but I get about 3kUSD a month.

byau

Reaction score
Graduated from an Ivy League undergraduate, joined a large strategy consulting firm at 72K with 10K bonus.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$45, 000 CAN net but it didn't come out to that much because I wasn't salaried.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Started a few years ago around USD 4.5k a month. Teaching economics in Korea. Then I get a small stipend for some of the research I do...but academic stipends are bleh.

dv_indian

Reaction score

15.5k/yr in 2006. It was actually minimum wage. It was a loan to myself. It's called a draw. I was working for a prop trading firm. It was horrible. No benefits. So I got paid 50% of what I made in trading profits after fees. And obviously you're not gonna make too much trading if you're new / don't know what you're doing / were a history major in college and didn't know what a Bid/Ask spread was. Fees were part fixed, part sliding, but the fixed part was 1500/mo. So I had to make 31k (2x 15.5) + 18k (1.5k x 12mos) + trade commissions (sliding depending on volume) = ~60000 in trading profits just to get my 15.5 k / yr. It was truly an awful year. And yet, it allowed me to get my foot in the door and 4 years later I was making over 200k / yr. So the risk paid off. And honestly, although miserable, I had times when I was much more miserable making waaaay more money.

What kind of qualifications do you need to get a job like this? Do you need to pass any exams?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
First full-time job (my first job after graduating) I was earning $2200 a month or so after taxes. I changed careers a year after and 5 years later I am earning $5880 a month.

It's an interesting question so I'm going to calculate this year by year.

Years after grad - Salary/Month in USD
0 - 2200 (In Seattle, could save 100-200 a month)
1 - 2800 (In South Korea, could save 1800 a month, worked 1 full-time + 1 part-time)
2 - 1300 (In China, saved 3-400 a month)
3 - 1900 (In China, saved 900 a month, worked 1 full-time + 1 part-time)
4 - 2380 (In China, saved 1100 a month)
5 - 5880 (In Hong Kong, save 1500 a month)

Last edited:

deepitm

Reaction score

What kind of qualifications do you need to get a job like this? Do you need to pass any exams?

In general, it's a matter of luck. Being quick with numbers, having the capacity to handle stress, and graduating from a good university in a technical background are what most places look for. But you don't need to have any sort of financial licensing to be a prop trader.

Last edited:

Mesta

Reaction score
In advertising, a bachelor in a unrelated field:

1st year : 1760 $ after taxes
2nd year : 2300 $ after taxes

Don't go in advertising guys :p
Only good thing is that it's a bit exponential in that field.

The step above me (supervisor, two years is possible) is pretty much double this and has bonuses.
And the step above (director, I guess 5-7 years) is double the previous one with bonuses
And then it goes crazy (Group director, VP, etc.).

Anyone else working in advertising?
I wonder how it pays in the US (I'm in Quebec), especially in NYC.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I sure hope you are missing a zero...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably monthly salary

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads