1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What was your starting salary (approx.)?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Connemara, Dec 19, 2010.

1. djh

djh Well-Known Member

75k plus signing and performance bonuses.

graduated 2012, bs finance, now working in consulting.

2. bingebag

bingebag Well-Known Member

48k construction management with bs in construction management from an SEC school in 2012.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  3. Lowndes

Lowndes Well-Known Member

$160k, law in NYC. As others mentioned if you break it down by the hour (and not just billable hours actual hours spent working its not that much in NYC with all the taxes). However, I've since moved to Texas and two years later make $185K and if I never received a raise again would be perfectly fine in this city. Really amazing the difference the COL and especially no city or state taxes make.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  4. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

NYers outside of NYC have it bad enough. Factor in the city income tax and you're REALLY screwed.

5. salisboss

salisboss Well-Known Member

Started at $38k as a government engineer. 8 years later I am at $99k plus money I make as an SAT tutor on the side. It is frustrating because our localality adjusted pay I think still favors cheaper locations. I wouldn't take much of a hit if I moved down south but things like housing are way cheaper than north Jersey.

6. elsdon

elsdon New Member

Graduated 2005 Computer Science from a decent school. Traveled for 2 years as a hobo.

First 'real' job in 2007 in Hong Kong doing Project Management and development for a hardware/solutions vendor, $16K USD a year.

7. Texx

Texx Member

$40k out of high school in 2006, $78k in 2012, same retail company since high school. Didn't have enough self discipline to finish college, working on it now! When you're 18 $40k feels rich, who needs college? When you're 26 $78k feels mediocre and you kick yourself for not going to college, oh, how perceptions change, haha.

8. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

A lot of people at age 26 with post high school education are making what you are making, if not less.

9. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

I am 26 and make like $22k a year. don't be so hard on yourself.

10. Texx

Texx Member

Not mediocre relative to what others make, mediocre relative to what I could be doing if I had concentrated that drive and work ethic into school and attained a degree before I started my career. Could be better off, or worse, just hard not to wonder!

11. thezolt

thezolt Member

$37K as a junior auditor in Canada. Once designated it bumps to about (55K) and about 10-15K per year after that give or take. Not the most money in the world but I've done well saving and investing and always laugh when my superiors that are making 200K have a negative net worth.

12. Rene_Lahm

Rene_Lahm Well-Known Member

Yeah seriously, I have a degree, a college diploma, and make less. Don't forget the debt I incurred with my education. You're not in a bad place.

13. Rene_Lahm

Rene_Lahm Well-Known Member

And you can always go back part time if you feel that having a degree would make that much of a difference in the current line of work you're in. Of course education opens doors, and gives you the chance to upgrade to a masters, which can be a prerequisite is some fields to move up, but it isn't all that its cracked up to be. But it's never too late, you just may have to neglect your social or family life if you want to go back part time now.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  14. Big Pun

Big Pun Well-Known Member

$20,400. Hoorah military!

15. Benrus

Benrus Member

Worked my way up from a textile factory making 50 k at age 20. Now I'm a salesman at 24 making 100+ Hard work and making connections worked for me. I barely passed high school and have never taken a collage class. My family was very poor, but I have always had a positive attitude and never burned my bridges.

16. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Well-Known Member

Just about to finish my MS in Food Science

Got offered 50K + bonus

Looking for 60k+, although Im willing to go as low as 40K for a position I really like

17. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Well-Known Member

£22k in an entry-level marketing role after completing a BA in Digital Art.

Year later I switched to a new company for £2k more, couple months into that they offered me a further £4k raise. Will be pushing for a more substantial raise in 6 months or so just because I have some serious responsibilities with my current role..

18. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what Food Service would encompass, but $40K for a master's degree seems like a slap in the face to me.

19. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

When I got my BS in Accounting ~2007: $32K. Small accounting firm
    When I got my MBA ~2010: No job until early 2011 but $70K

20. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Are those years right?
    I don't know much about accountants...but you'd have to pay me a lot more than that to get an accounting degree.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013