1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What was your starting salary (approx.)?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Connemara, Dec 19, 2010.

1. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

In general, it's a matter of luck. Being quick with numbers, having the capacity to handle stress, and graduating from a good university in a technical background are what most places look for. But you don't need to have any sort of financial licensing to be a prop trader.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  2. Mesta

Mesta Senior member

In advertising, a bachelor in a unrelated field:

1st year : 1760 $ after taxes
    2nd year : 2300 $ after taxes

Don't go in advertising guys :p
    Only good thing is that it's a bit exponential in that field.

The step above me (supervisor, two years is possible) is pretty much double this and has bonuses.
    And the step above (director, I guess 5-7 years) is double the previous one with bonuses
    And then it goes crazy (Group director, VP, etc.).

Anyone else working in advertising?
    I wonder how it pays in the US (I'm in Quebec), especially in NYC.

3. otc

otc Senior member

I sure hope you are missing a zero...

4. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Probably monthly salary

5. Mesta

Mesta Senior member

Yep per month, it was 30k and 40k.

6. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

edit

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  7. imschatz

imschatz Senior member

Update: MA in Economics

Year 1: $45,000
    Year 2: $82,500

Now working for a electric utility as Business Analyst.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  8. EMY

EMY Senior member

I have an interview tomorrow and honestly have no idea what to put for my desired salary. The salary range that I found on glassdoor for the company is $63k-100k with an average of 80500. I have no industry experience, however, I was making about $65/hr working for my school. Would it be unreasonable to ask for 78-98k? The job only requires a BS, but I have a MS and this is my first job.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  9. otc

otc Senior member

Don't write anything on the form. They probably won't insist if it is an early round interview (or even notice if its an HR thing)

Try to get them to name a number first, you can use all sorts of ways to dodge the question...especially since you aren't coming from a job so its not like they are aiming to land you for 5% over your previous salary.

2 people like this.
  10. EMY

EMY Senior member

Thanks. This is actually a final round interview (or Super Day for the finance guys) with 7 interviews scheduled. They actually told me to fill out a form prior to coming and it explicitly asks for desired salary. :/

This is an engineering job.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  11. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

i still ignore it. if it's an online form that requires it, i just put 0.

12. otc

otc Senior member

yeah, forms are to be left blank.

Someone may press you on it later and it is possible that you may have no choice but to answer (but you gotta try first), but the form should just be blank.

13. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

Ask for more than you want. I've never heard of someone not getting hired because they wanted too much money. I have heard of people turning down jobs because the employer wasn't willing to pay enough. FYI $65/hr is 130k per year assuming basic work week.

It's much easier to ask for money up front as opposed to asking for a raise later.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  14. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

What were you doing for the school? At 65/hr I would imagine something computer/IT related? IF so, go ahead and ask for $130K annualized since that's what you made. But if you don't feel comfortable with that I would ask for above the top range of the glassdoor estimate (say $115k) and use your past experience to support it.

Of course, it's always best to have them make the financial offer first then countering but one isn't always given the option.

15. EMY

EMY Senior member

I was a TA and that's the hourly that was listed on my checks. The company ended up not collecting the form (i did not remind them either) and salary was never brought up....

16. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Ah, disregard the first part of my advice then :). Simply use the industry salary data to support your request then. The worst they can do is say no and counter offer.

17. rossoz

rossoz Senior member

1980 BS Accounting $18K for a job in Phoenix... The highest in my class that I knew about was $24K for a job in Hartford for a big copper company.

Take the job, but never stop looking to improve your situation.

Cheers,

18. Rene_Lahm

Rene_Lahm Senior member

Graduated 2010 English degree.

Got a full time job working as a "residential counsellor" in a mens homeless shelter, worked there part time throughout University. 33K.

Did that for about 8 months full time before I got a far better position in the social services field (mental health), non-profit sector. That started at 52K, and I'm a bit more than a year and a half into that. More education such as an MSW would provide me with more options like clinical counseling, which one can charge up to $140 an hour. That's the long term goal.

19. nocarsgo

nocarsgo Member

First year as a doctor graduate in UK, 2011, made an equivalent of $44k before taxes (which I'm sure total more than in the US). This year I should make about 58k pre-tax. Hoping to be on about 100k in 4 years doing locum work as a General Practioner (takes 5 years total from graduation here to qualify as a GP).

20. wj4

wj4 Senior member

"Take the job, but never stop looking to improve your situation."

I really like that! Short, simple, but effective.