1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What was your starting salary (approx.)?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Connemara, Dec 19, 2010.

1. NORE

NORE Senior member

My salary was so ridiculously unwarranted at 17 that I got myself into trouble. One reason why I have a teen graduating this month and I'm only 36 now. Some of you need to be grateful for what you've got and if anything, I would suggest not going into [too much] debt too early. I gotted where Im iz on a GED with felonies. [​IMG]

2. forex

forex Senior member

My salary was so ridiculously unwarranted at 17 that I got myself into trouble. One reason why I have a teen graduating this month and I'm only 36 now.

Some of you need to be grateful for what you've got and if anything, I would suggest not going into [too much] debt too early. I gotted where Im iz on a GED with felonies. [​IMG]

WTF is this? You have a GED and a felony?

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I always wondered what it'd be like to have super-young parents; I think it would be kind of cool.

4. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

There's always subtle undertones of haughtiness when these types of things are discussed; it seems bankers like yourself are so arrogant in dismissing other people and all under the guise of 'ignorance'. You're not fooling anyone; petty insults doesn't constitute an argument.

Ahh, refreshing. More generalities and blanket statements, with some incorrect assumptions based on nothing mixed in. Guess what, I'm not a banker. Had you known that, would you have called me haughty and arrogant? I wonder if there is bias involved.

Fooling anyone into what?

Petty insult? No. I've just gathered from your rants that you have a certain perception that is not tied to reality, and I'm calling you on it.

5. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

57k +3 at a good consulting firm in 06 -- back in school now moving and starting at a top 3 consulting firm soon (hooray!!)

Turned down banking offers (where i summer interned) - that industry has some of the worse abuse and hours out there...they deserve thier pay and can keep it (PS - 100k post bonus 1st year analyst are very common - though the $$ fluctuates with the market)

mentor me.

6. NORE

NORE Senior member

WTF is this? You have a GED and a felony?

Yup, son. I went to Norman Thomas HS on Park Ave from 89-93 and only needed 3 credits to graduate. They were gym credits. You had to wear the school gym uniforms & I made my own (picture a t-shirt with the Superman 'S' but instead of the S I had a 'B'. It was black and fuchsia) I met my HS sweetheart in that class. I was the man. Son.

Anyway, no summer or night school for me. I had to work full time to pay rent (got kicked out of home early and had my first crib at 17) and support a pregnant Senior.

Those trips to planned parenthood sucked. WTF?? This wasn't planned. A nicka got trapped. Oh well, I love my son. Both my sons. I'm still the man.

What now, son? I have people old enough to be my parents reporting to me now. Yalls dudes need to live. Then make things right wit God. Cuz the end is nigh.

7. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

Ahh, refreshing. More generalities and blanket statements, with some incorrect assumptions based on nothing mixed in. Guess what, I'm not a banker. Had you known that, would you have called me haughty and arrogant? I wonder if there is bias involved.

Fooling anyone into what?

Petty insult? No. I've just gathered from your rants that you have a certain perception that is not tied to reality, and I'm calling you on it.

This guy doesnt have a leg to stand on. All he's doing is overgeneralizing, assuming, and not doing any research and regurgitating some shit he heard elsewhere.

8. ShaneB

ShaneB Senior member

Ahh, refreshing. More generalities and blanket statements, with some incorrect assumptions based on nothing mixed in. Guess what, I'm not a banker. Had you known that, would you have called me haughty and arrogant? I wonder if there is bias involved. Fooling anyone into what? Petty insult? No. I've just gathered from your rants that you have a certain perception that is not tied to reality, and I'm calling you on it.
    Most definitely because you exhibit haughty and arrogant qualities mixed in with a bit of verbiage. This isn't a discussion on the financial crisis; needless to say, it seems that making an off-the-cuff remark about ones displeasure of this particular industry (rightly so, I believe) seems to kindle the most invective reactions from some individuals (bankers or not). As I said before, many people have expressed similar views and when I say 'you're not fooling anyone' I mean that blanket dismissals of views as 'not tied to reality' simply won't do.
    This guy doesnt have a leg to stand on. All he's doing is overgeneralizing, assuming, and not doing any research and regurgitating some shit he heard elsewhere.
    Anyone who makes any comments on this subject - and these are generalisations: I'm not writing an essay - is based on 'regurgitated knowledge' - what else could it be? But suffice to say, my views, and knowledge thereof, is gleamed from reputable sources - but tell me exactly, what 'knowledge' have I presented that is egregiously wrong? I haven't presented anything whatsoever - the only thing that seems to be the case is that you've got all emotional because I said I was 'unimpressed with the banking industry'. Cry me a river and grow up.

9. mintyfresh

mintyfresh Senior member

What do you do ShaneB and what was your starting salary (approx.)?

10. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

Again, saying a ton of nothing and hiding the fact you didnt even know what an investment banker does.

Pray tell, what is your profession?

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

12. cretaceous_cretin

cretaceous_cretin Senior member

$18,900 in 1978. Software egineer, avionics.

13. ShaneB

ShaneB Senior member

14. Onlyoneoklahoma

Onlyoneoklahoma Active Member

$57k working for a software company in Oklahoma City.

15. ShaneB

ShaneB Senior member

Again, saying a ton of nothing and hiding the fact you didnt even know what an investment banker does.

Pray tell, what is your profession?

I'm not saying, nor have I ever said, anything of detail on the financial crisis.

I know what an investment banker does, thanks.

16. thenanyu

thenanyu Senior member

17. Jeff10236

Jeff10236 Member

So, on topic, my first full-time salary was under $10K. I don't remember exactly what it was, but I think it was $600 something a month. In 1989 E1's* in the Army were not exactly paid well. This was before college.

In the early 1990's I did sales on commission (a few industries) and was usually in the $25-30K range (not bad money in 1992 or 1993 when living at home and without a college degree or any real skills).

My first teaching job was $36K/yr (2006).

*E1= Private, E1 is the pay grade, private is the rank.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  18. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

$24k, on a GED in 2008 working for Obama. Field organizers/junior database managers don't get paid too well on campaigns.

Then I moved to the AFL-CIO and started getting that union money. Sigh. I miss that.

Also :cheers: NORE for not graduating high school.

19. NORE

NORE Senior member

:slayer:

20. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member