• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was Your Biggest Raise?

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've gotten 10% raises the last 2 years, once in the same job and once in a new job in the same org. Unfortunately I started from about 40% of what I figured I'd be making when I graduated (I was happy to get it because it was still a lot more than part-time stuff I was able to cobble together while job hunting for a year).

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not exactly a yoy jump, but went from a base pay of $60k pre-MBA to $115k post-MBA.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
29%, without switching jobs or having an offer in hand. My boss decided he needed to raise the pay scale before people started looking.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by calisanfran
Not exactly a yoy jump, but went from a base pay of $60k pre-MBA to $115k post-MBA.

I dunno what a yoy jump is but that is a hella nice raise
laugh.gif

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, sorry that meant year-over-year. The jump did justify to some extent going to business school given the ~$70k tuition fee and ~$120k opportunity cost of missing out on 2 years of pay.

kxk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by calisanfran
not exactly a yoy jump, either, but went from $1000 (for a year) pre-grad school to $115k (base) post-grad school. over 10,000% raise, i guess. not too shabby (on a different note) although not exactly a raise, my summer internship paid on the basis of ~$60k salary (for an "associate"); the job that was ultimately offered would have been ~$100k (as "manager"). so for an associate that was being promoted to manager, that's a pretty sweet raise.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
went from 36K --> 41K with a 2K bonus... first year on the job... not too bad imo

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently changed positions in my company. Went from a sales director (leading a sales team) to a hedge analyst/trader on our capital markets team. Salary more than tripled. BUT my overall income will be reduced by about 30-40% since I went from a salary + commission pay structure to salary + end of yr bonus structure.

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score
I worked as a software engineer making $36K. I decided to start working on a contract basis and went to $80K in 1985. I have been doing the contract gig ever since then. (The numbers are for W2; 1099 basis was $108K for 1985.)

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Before starting a new job I negotiated a 25% raise based on the cost of commuting from California to New Jersey, maintaining a second apartment, etc. By the time I started a couple of months later, a reorg had occurred and the hiring manager was elsewhere. Nobody ever mentioned commuting to the NJ office again, in fact I wound up working from home most of the time. I kept the raise.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Jumped ship for greener pastures, got 100% raise.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i did 50-100% on last job switch depending how you figure. absolute joke raise this year of about 1%. looking to jump ship again for another 100%

edit: and im by no means well paid

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads