• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was Apple's rationale to get rid of it's servers?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am trying to understand Apple's rationale for getting rid of it's server business. Seeing as the iPhone is now being utilized as an alternative to the Blackberry in enterprise settings, and the iPad still has massive potential in enterprise settings, why is Apple discontinuing it's tried-and-true servers?

Now that they are finally getting their foot in the door with big business, why wouldn't they want to provide them with back end, as well as front end solutions? Especially since OS X Server is pretty damn stable (thank you Unix).

the_state

Reaction score
B/c their focus is the consumer, not big business. Companies aren't going out and buying their own infrastructure like they did in 2000, they're relying on hosting services and cloud computing. Even if they do, they're going to lean on something that you can run any platform (windows, red hat, ubuntu, etc), not something as closed as Apple's offering.

The biz makes no sense, as a stockholder I'm glad they dropped it.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I am trying to understand Apple's rationale for getting rid of it's server business. Seeing as the iPhone is now being utilized as an alternative to the Blackberry in enterprise settings, and the iPad still has massive potential in enterprise settings, why is Apple discontinuing it's tried-and-true servers?

Now that they are finally getting their foot in the door with big business, why wouldn't they want to provide them with back end, as well as front end solutions? Especially since OS X Server is pretty damn stable (thank you Unix).

The amount of investment required in service was huge and Apple probably wasn't making money. Plus it just isn't all that big of a deal for them to decide that Linux or whatever will be the designated back-end to support Mac installations and come out with tools for that purpose rather than supporting hardware and an entire software platform.

I think they should have licensed Server to a selected third party but Apple doesn't work that way.

I agree that iOS has huge potential for drone computers - why not have every secretary set-up with a super-size iPad with keyboard? Pretty much the obvious dumb terminal and something that will probably come about eventually.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If the hardware wasn't flowing well (and if more and more people are contracting out their enterprise back ends) then I think akatsuki has it right:

Declare linux (or freebsd...but more likely to be a supported enterprise linux distro) as your official backend and transition some devs and support staff into the "iPhone Enterprise Server" group that produces iphone/ipad backend software for corporations.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They still sell servers, but they are the smaller versions in Powermac and Mac Mini bodies.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Almost nobody buys servers to run OSes anymore. Everything runs on vmware. The stuff that doesn't sure as hell wouldn't be run on mac servers. So why would any corp pay a premium for bare metal just because it's apple? Apple would be competing against the likes of Dell and HP and there's no way they could compete in that space, both of whom have good track records in the enterprise space.

Should they have some sort of enterprise ipad/iphone "server" (as in the software similar to BES)? I think so. They're becoming prevalent enough that it would be nice if we had some alternatives to BB. It would be good if you could auto-deploy certificates for vpn/wireless access, control settings by policy, etc. Right now I'd not be surprised if iOS device support is best effort at many companies.

They've still got a ton of work to do on the security front. And BB really does have a big edge with secure email, though there's not much to stop apple from copying if they feel like it.

Then again, they have the problem that a lot of companies just don't want cameras on premises.

Also, if there's one thing I wish the iphone would copy, it's the blinking LED on BB. I don't need to cameras. I want to know if i have messages waiting without having to constantly pick up the phone to look at it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads