1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What wallet do you use?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by dmash, Sep 29, 2009.

1. elizafernandes

elizafernandes New Member

2. Friday

Friday Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about switching things up, seeing just how minimial I can go, so knocked these two out but can't decide on the stitch. Any preferences?

[​IMG]

3. walds11

walds11 Senior member

I can see that happening, especially if your wallet is really loaded with cards. The bulk of the cards near the clip could potentially "hang-up" the cash.

How thick is yours loaded?

4. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Active Member

[​IMG]
    Dalee's/Deluxeware, of Japan

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  5. oulipien

oulipien Senior member

6. iancmedina

iancmedina New Member

I did a review on a couple of minimalist wallets including why one should never buy Genuine Leather. Hope this helps!

[​IMG]

7. nstarleather

nstarleather Active Member

The idea that "genuine leather" always means of lesser quality is not exactly accurate.
    Saddleback uses that term to refer to what's really called (by people who actually tan leather) a "finished split" (as in a suede that has a painted finish on top). PU leather is similar, it's just a thicker plastic-like layer on top. Genuine leather is not really an "industry term" to mean a lesser grade, that usage originates with Saddleback (and sources that quote him). Unfortunately they've (knowingly or not caused some confusion). This is something relatively new.
    A little evidence:
    You can find amazing vintage pieces made in quality leather proudly stamped "genuine leather." Cheap imports "killed" the word by stamping it on anything that might in some small way once been leather, but that doesn't actually change the meaning of the word Genuine.
    I also have some vintage tooling stamps that say "Genuine Leather", those stamps only work on full grain veg-tan leather.

Most of us makers have stopped using the words "Genuine Leather" just because of the above reasons. However, there are still some folks who use the word as it was used originally- to mean "real" there are some guys out there working with English Bridle,Chromexcel, and other full grain leathers who happily still call it Genuine. You should pay attention before ruling anything out, especially if it's made here. The easier way to tell the good from the bad is thickness and the way it's constructed. If you open a card pocket and look inside, do you see nylon or do you see leather? Most imports only have a "band" of leather across the pocket and the pocket itself is completely nylon.

8. iancmedina

iancmedina New Member

That's a wealth of information. Thank you for giving me a history lesson.

I admit I was being too general by ruling out anything that says "GL" but if this is the norm with most products being mass produced, shouldn't we adjust too? I cut up not only this wallet but a couple of watch bands too. They were similar in their paper cores.

Don't worry, I'll still trust a maker or small shop that's hand tooling their products. I hear that SBL's quality has diminished in recent years so I look forward to supporting makers that keep everything on the up and up.

9. nstarleather

I have adjusted what we say on our site, but I think when I started some of our descriptions said Genuine. One thing you may also have been seeing with the wallets you cut cut up is that lots of imports use a full or top grain goat or sheep skin but use a leather that's incredibly thin and have to stiffen it with cardboard. It's actually very tough to make a wallet with lots of pockets and keep it from getting too bulky; when you see a wallet with tons of pockets (even zippers sometimes), then it's a pretty good bet that you're getting a very small percentage of actual leather. A guy came by the shop the other day and showed me a Filson wallet that he'd paid over $100 for. The first thing I did was look under the cards and sure enough: tiny strip of leather at the top of each card pocket and nylon interiors.
    I think SLB makes what seems to be a decent, long lasting product,but you can tell that his real strength is marketing. Those videos are entertaining but many times in accurate.

10. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Can you guys recommend any good independent wallet maker? I am thinking $250>> for a clean bifold. Thanks in advance :)

11. nstarleather

For that kind of money you have a lot of options. Are you thinking of an exotic material like Ostrich, Croc, or Cordovan?
    My most expensive bifold is only$65 but it will last as long as any.

12. sdrider

sdrider New Member

Current wallet is a Louis Vuitton in Daimer Graphite Canvas. I bought this for myself about 5 months ago. It is a bit stiff and difficult to close if I'm carrying more than 10 bills. Not sure if it will ever soften up... probably not. Nice wallet though.

13. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

@nstarleather

My last wallet was also $65 horsehide bifold by Scott (Don't Mourn). Apparently he is swamped with work and I don't want to bother the old man with my 5th? order.

I am not concerned with the cost as much as I do with craftsmanship. Cordovan or Horsehide, any hard wearing leather will do.

14. mb1233

mb1233 Member

First one. It has a more classic look.

15. pravda

pravda Senior member

First one. Second not bad if you are wearing moccasins and carrying bow and arrow.

16. nealp9084

nealp9084 Member

I bought this wallet from HidesAndStitches on Etsy around November. It's natural chromexcel. I managed to bend the corner somehow, but I like the color and the smell. Smells great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. mrballs

mrballs Well-Known Member

Definitely the burgundy one. Terrific shade, bound to get some compliments on it

18. elimmie

elimmie Well-Known Member

Bleu de Chauffe Corto Wallet - made in France

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. mb1233

mb1233 Member

Does anyone feel like the thicker leather on the higher quality wallets defeats the purpose of owning a minimalist wallet in the first place? It seems like I feel them more than I should like to.

20. nstarleather

Thickness is kind of a two-edged sword.
    The thicker the wallet, the longer it should last, but only to a point...a good wallet doesn't have to be massively thick to last, but it can never be as thin as one that uses nylon for the interior of the pockets.
    Also if you're cool with replacing your wallet every couple years then go with a cheap wallet with a mostly nylon for the interior. If you want something that's going to give you 5-10+ years then learn to live with slightly thicker.