1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What universities / colleges you attend or attended

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by imageWIS, Apr 19, 2004.

1. alaaro

alaaro Senior member

I went to The College of William and Mary for undergrad, and to The George Washington University for business school. I graduate in May. And have no job yet. Anyone got one for me?

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

My uncle is faculty in that department.

3. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

Cool. Is he a professor? What's last name?

4. gregory

gregory Senior member

A college education is key.

Once a society has reached a certain level of development, the primary purpose of college education is not to churn out typists or computer operators or engineers. Good colleges groom men and women for  rich, fulfilling and cultured lives--hence the emphasis on foreign languages, foreign movies, study abroad programs and what not in the elite educational institutions of our time.

Among the upper classes, one will find individuals who regard an engineering, computer science, business or any other practical degree with disdain. English, art history, and history are prefered.

To give an example, one who studied nothing but engineering in college may land himself on a job. But when he advances to the upper levels of his company and his community, he will find that he cannot discuss politics, philosophy, art and music with any amount of intelligence. He will, in other words, be outclassed. It is a pitiful feeling to be outclassed, because it dawns upon one that merit in one's field is not sufficient to be accepted.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

There are plenty of upper class twits.  Usually, they differ only in outlook and not in level of ignorance from their lower class counterparts.  

It's not what you study, but the way you approach your studies and the ultimate purpose you see for your education.  If you study philosophy not because you want to learn philosphy but because you think that you need a college education in order to land a job, you're missing the point.  If you study engineering because you are genuinely interested in engineering, than you are getting a good education.

People who have real class, real confidence, are proud of their achievements, conscious of their shortcomings, and comfortable with both.  They neither need to belittle the limitations of others nor hide their own.

Yes.  Last name is Leung - a good guy, but don't be looking to the man for any style/fashion points.

6. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

Undergrad Babson (currently). Loomis Chaffee is no more than 15 minutes away from me CTGuy.What area in CT did you grow up in?
    I am from Suffield. Â You?
    I am from the West End of Hartford.

7. gregory

gregory Senior member

I'm trying to counterbalance the viewpoint that college should be all practical.

I feel that not being able to speak intelligently about politics, current affairs, history, art, etc is looked down upon universally, not only among those from the upper classes.

To some extent, this is all very high school: The nerds versus the well-rounded, articulate, beautiful students.

8. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

Quote Quote Undergrad Babson (currently). Loomis Chaffee is no more than 15 minutes away from me CTGuy.What area in CT did you grow up in?
    I am from Suffield. Â You?
    I am from the West End of Hartford.[/quote] oh really? West Hartford, or west end? Lovely neighborhood. Â I used to work as a P.R. person for the Jewish Federation- right near that area. Â Lovely as far as Harford goes.[/quote] I'm on the Hartford Side, the East side of the park. West end has the best houses in Connecticut (Well aside from some of the older estates in Greenwich) .Not super large but nice and usually has some history. I'm sort of familiar with the Jewish federation mostly only in name though. Do you plan on moving back to CT when you graduate?

9. j

j Senior member Admin

Now that this thread has slowed down, it's moving to General.

10. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

General Chat: a peaceful retirement community. [​IMG]

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Well, 98 replies (99 counting mine) not bad at all for my first post (not including my introduction of, um...myself to the forum {sorry, a bit of an Austin Powers moment there}). [​IMG] Jon.

12. mmhollis

mmhollis Senior member

bump

Showing some love for Ohio Wesleyan!

13. redgrail

redgrail Senior member

nice necro of a four year old thread for no reason...

14. w.mj

w.mj Senior member

I'm trying to counterbalance the viewpoint that college should be all practical. I feel that not being able to speak intelligently about politics, current affairs, history, art, etc is looked down upon universally, not only among those from the upper classes. To some extent, this is all very high school: The nerds versus the well-rounded, articulate, beautiful students.
    What an extraordinary misconception! It's silly to believe that the children of the upper class are somehow more articulate or better qualified to discuss "politics, current affairs, history, or art" than the "nerds" you speak of. The autodidact can become reasonably proficient in those things (certainly politics and current affairs) while it's relatively difficult to become proficient in the same way with something based in math. I went to a prep school, now I double major in Econ (math based) and History (language based) at an Ivy. I think that qualifies me in some way to make these observations. Also, I'm damn glad that what you're saying isn't true. One of the things that makes America competitive is that talent from the middle class keeps rising to take the place of those in the upper class who get Art History degrees at Vassar. If the situation were really as you describe, we'd have a permanent and stultified ruling class instead of the constant social scuffle that is the result of the process I've described.

15. ekaJ

ekaJ Active Member

enrolled at Parson's The New School for Design, BBA in Design and Management.

16. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

17. justsayno

justsayno Senior member

To give an example, one who studied nothing but engineering in college may land himself on a job. But when he advances to the upper levels of his company and his community, he will find that he cannot discuss politics, philosophy, art and music with any amount of intelligence. He will, in other words, be outclassed. It is a pitiful feeling to be outclassed, because it dawns upon one that merit in one's field is not sufficient to be accepted.

I'm not convinced by your analysis.

The above scenario is probable if you assume that this person does not have interests outside of his technical career or that he or she doesn't further his or her education in Law or Business.

I'm an engineer by profession, but i take interest in the sartorial arts and I am attending an MBA program. When I was younger I was in music class and toured Europe with my high school band.

18. bassmanpatsfan18

bassmanpatsfan18 Senior member

I will be a freshman at Northwestern University in about 17 days.

19. phreak

phreak Senior member

jr at shsu, banking/finance is where its at

20. PARTY

PARTY Senior member

Soph at UMDCP

Go Terps!

Smith School of Business is where it's at.