• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what types of casual shoes can be worn with jeans?

gfloridafan93

Reaction score
Hello,
I am 20 and in the market for a new pair of shoes. I am tired of wearing Nike tennis shoes with jeans all the time so I want something different. I am looking for a casual shoe. Are there any styles you guys recommend? I sort of like brown wingtip shoes but I don't know if you can wear those with jeans. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

styleguy9934

Reaction score
I wear brown leather boat shoes, suede brogues, and black oxfords with my jeans. You can also wear non hiking boots, brown leather shoes of almost any kind (no square toe), and many other types of shoe. It also depends on jean color and quality.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I often wear a pair of reddish-brown penny loafers as casual shoes.

'Course, penny loafers seem to be one of those things that some people love, and other people hate.

The ones who hate them sometimes dismiss them as "old man shoes." Since I've been wearing pennies since I was a teenager (I turn 51, this winter), I don't happen to associate penny loafers with any particular age group.

Anyway, they'd go just fine with jeans. Which isn't to suggest that they can't work perfectly well with chinos, dress pants, etc.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't wear boat shoes or oxfords with jeans. I personally prefer boots with jeans and casual pants. Something like the C&J Islay, Allen Edmonds Dalton and Alden cap-toe boot all work with jeans or casual pants. If you want recommendations for other brands/styles, you may want to visit the Streetwear and Denim subforum.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boots by Frye, Cole Haan, or R.M Williams. each are affordable for a guy who usually pays$$$$ for air max and jordans.
Frye: "James" Boots

Cole Haan "Cooper" Boots

R,M Williams "Craftsman" Chelsea boots.

many styles and colors to choose from, and are worth every dollar.

Classic brown chelsea boots are a win. then you could look at "Trickers" shoes.
there are more adventurous choices, but i'm giving you the "try this first advice".

ultimately, be comfortable, and ensure it all ties in together in your own flavor.
Good Luck!

Last edited:

gfloridafan93

Reaction score
Okay now I am intrigued by a dress boot. However, these are out of my price range. Are mens chukka boots okay to wear?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are mens chukka boots okay to wear?

Depends on the chukka boots in question, what you'd be wearing with them, and the situation where you anticipate wearing them.

Otherwise, it's like asking, "Are men's green pants okay to wear?" It just depends.

WorldWideWafflz

Reaction score
Absolutely. Those are definitely for jeans. However, they're really ugly. Something a little more basic that isn't trying so hard to look rugged would look better. I would search around here and the SW&D side for chukka recommendations, and dark brown suede would be a good choice of color. And buy the nicest ones you can stand to pay for. Shoes do a tough but important job so you don't want to skimp if you can help it.

Last edited:

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Ropavejero

Reaction score
Another vote for maroon/oxblood reddish-brown slip-on penny loafers. They are the perfect middle of the road shoe. They look casual enough to wear with blue jeans and dressy enough you can get away wearing them with a suit.

Purists, I know, claim that more formal lace-up shoes should be worn with a suit, but I think as overall mode in which people dress for work and business has become more casual, that rule has been forgotten.

If you live in the frigid north lands where trudging around in sloppy snow is an everyday fact of life, my favorites are either a durable Chelsea boot, Bruiser boot, or Chukka boot, made by the Skechers shoe company.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say anything except for oxfords is good in my book.

Chukkas/boots with jeans are a favorite of mine, but I would also do monks, blutchers, and loafers...

Suit Fullstop

Reaction score
Hi,

Why cant you go for a brown shoes. It looks awesome on jeans. Even i have tried.

Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads