• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What type of tie to match this outfit?

icecoal

Reaction score
First time here and sorry if these types of threads are frowned upon but have nowhere else to bounce ideas other than instores.

What kind of type pattern/color would match this formal outfit I plan to wear.

Excuse the dirty mirror haha.

I have a black subtly striped tie as my safety but looking for something bold. Using thetiebar.com as my template.

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll look like a member of One Direction if you wear that shirt with a coat and tie. It certainly won't be formal -- that's a really casual shirt.

Solid black knit, if you insist. The black with the stripe is the right direction, but you don't want another pattern. It would look better to wear a dress shirt with your suit.

icecoal

Reaction score
You'll look like a member of One Direction if you wear that shirt with a coat and tie. It certainly won't be formal -- that's a really casual shirt.

Solid black knit, if you insist. The black with the stripe is the right direction, but you don't want another pattern. It would look better to wear a dress shirt with your suit.

haha i've gotten real sick of wearing plain colors(dress shirt work attire) and kinda in a checkered/plaid phase right now. hows this one look?

oh and I guess I meant to say semi-formal. its a college event.

Last edited:

AmericanGent

Reaction score
This kind of thread is not frowned upon. The only thing that will be frowned upon is the outfit itself.

Don't want to be impolite to you man, but that is not at all "Classic Menswear".
It will not look good to anyone with classic menswear sensibilities.
It is not formal.

But, you did not ask if it looked terrible or not, you asked what tie would work.

-Gotta go with a solid knit tie as mentioned above.

Consider that there are many other ways to dress with "taste" and still look young, fresh, hip, cool, whatever you are going for. Have a look at Walker Slater Collections- they are taking very traditional Scottish tweed and making awesome looking outfits for modern sensibilities. Their online store will be up early next month, but just looking through their pictures will spark some ideas that you can use.

http://www.walkerslater.com/welcome

https://www.facebook.com/WalkerSlaterTweed?ref=ts&fref=ts

icecoal

Reaction score
This kind of thread is not frowned upon. The only thing that will be frowned upon is the outfit itself.

Don't want to be impolite to you man, but that is not at all "Classic Menswear".
It will not look good to anyone with classic menswear sensibilities.
It is not formal.

But, you did not ask if it looked terrible or not, you asked what tie would work.

-Gotta go with a solid knit tie as mentioned above.

Consider that there are many other ways to dress with "taste" and still look young, fresh, hip, cool, whatever you are going for. Have a look at Walker Slater Collections- they are taking very traditional Scottish tweed and making awesome looking outfits for modern sensibilities. Their online store will be up early next month, but just looking through their pictures will spark some ideas that you can use.

http://www.walkerslater.com/welcome

https://www.facebook.com/WalkerSlaterTweed?ref=ts&fref=ts

haha yeah sorry. not sure if I shoulda went here or to hypebeast or something :p.
also, my mistake, it will be a 'semi-formal' event for college, so the boundaries of taste will definitely be a bit expanded.

my first outfit idea was a patterned suit, but I don't think I can afford to dig in the pockets for a suit that I doubt I'll be able to wear at work without getting odd stares.

anywho, I will go to the store this weekend to try on some solid knit ties.

E TF

Reaction score
Maybe try over at SW&D, see what they say?
That shirt just really isn't meant to be worn with jacket and tie; nothing will look good with it in classic menswear terms.

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First off all that shirt has to go.......

I would wear that with a white shirt and burgundy color tie,white PS

TheBurnOut

Reaction score
Neon pink bowtie.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's "formal" about that outfit? LOL!

What color is that suit? I can't tell if it's brown, black or grey. Either way, I'd probably where a solid color tie with a little texture in the same color as the suit...maybe a knit tie. I wouldn't wear that outfit, but if I did, that's probably what I'd do to look like a boss.

Last edited:

burgess007

Reaction score
Sorry, man, but that looks more like a Halloween costume than a "formal" outfit...

Anyway, I'd recommend going either purely casual or slightly dressy, like slacks and a casual jacket. It looks like you're trying way too hard, and that shirt doesn't really work on any level.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads