1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What type of suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by WJTW, Dec 7, 2004.

1. WJTW

WJTW Well-Known Member

Hi,

I was looking around and found this jacket which does not have the usual lapels but instead have what looks like a shirt collar and can actually be buttoned all the way up. With the exception of the collar, everything else looks like a suit.

I also came across this jacket worn by a character in a Taiwan TV series (with 300+ episodes, no less) shown here where the collar is also like that, and another with a smoother version of such a collar. It has no buttons but zipped, I think, although I can't find the zip nor the tracks for the zip...

He wears them as part of a suit.

Anyone have any idea what sort of suit (if they are suits) these are?

Thanks,
    WJTW

2. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are you perhaps referring to a leisure suit?

3. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

4. WJTW

WJTW Well-Known Member

It does look more casual, but still great nonetheless.

Unfortunately I am unable to find any pictures since I can't even find any information on it.

I saw one on sale which is actually a mandarin collar jacket, but has a shirt-collar-like collar attached to it. I am unsure of whether it is detachable or not, though.

WJTW

5. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sounds like a ghillie collar suit. These were popular sports clothes in the late 19th century. They are the father of the modern SB louhge suit.

6. regularjoe

regularjoe Senior member

7. Doctor Crane

Doctor Crane Well-Known Member

You mean something like this? [​IMG]

8. WJTW

WJTW Well-Known Member

It actually only has a shirt-collar like collar, without lapels. It does resemble a box-coat, although it is of suit length. These are the pictures of the leather box-coats. Imagine them shortened to suit-length (maybe slightly shorter) and made of the usual suit material. The first picture, imagine it has buttons instead of a zip. ]http://www.sheepskincoatsofstreet.co.uk/pop_ups....mg] ]http://www.sheepskincoatsofstreet.co.uk/pop_ups....mg] As for the second one I mentioned, here's a picture resembling the collar, although the suit's collar is slightly more spread out and flatter. Again, it is of suit length and suit material, and is worn unzipped. http://www.si.edu/siphotos/tech-history/FONZIE.GIF I didn't have pictures displayed right here because they are quite big. Thanks, WJTW