• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What type of hair to get this hairstyle?

Lowndes

Reaction score
Sorry for another hairstyle thread but I have a quick question. I have been looking for a change of pace in hairstyle. I've always worn my hair really short and am looking to have more of a medium length haircut. Attached is a a photo of a hairstyle that I really like and think would look good on me but am unsure what type of hair is required to get this look. My idea is to just grow my hair out for a couple more months (I wear a hat everyday now) and then take a couple of pictures to a stylists to see if my hair could do that. I'm hoping for hair such as in this Prince Harry photo. http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/...49_468x286.jpg Thanks for the help.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you need to have really thick (as in high hair count/square cm, no actual thick radius of hair), straight hair.

he might have a very small amount of wax in there.

Monaco

Reaction score
^^ yup a nice head of fuzz but it is still achievable with a little wax with a bit of gel, get it mixed together real good in your palms. It is best to wash your hair first, dry, blow-dry in desired direction, wait until hair is almost dry, then apply and continue with direction application.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Well, that is good. I have incredibly thick straight hair. I guess the best way to accomplish this style is to show a stylist the picture? I've never brought a picture of somebody else to get a cut a certain way. I always found that a bit strange but if it is the best way to get success that is what I will do.

Raxxman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lowndes
Well, that is good. I have incredibly thick straight hair. I guess the best way to accomplish this style is to show a stylist the picture? I've never brought a picture of somebody else to get a cut a certain way. I always found that a bit strange but if it is the best way to get success that is what I will do.

I have a similar hair style to that, well not right now as I got it lopped a bit shorter

my hair is insanely thick (hairs per square inch) and slightly wavey, it actually lies flat if washed and dried, else it does the crazy man.

The way I get my hair cut is 3 on the back and sides and about half an inch on the top, I have the hair layered at the top (I think that's the right term). This grew out for about a month and a half to reach a similar length

As for the actual styling, I prefer to use texture gum like the Vo5 SurfStyle (hope that doesn't break any rules here) over gel as gel means you can't run your hands through it. Wax works but for me it can leave my hair looking greasy.

As has been previously stated, make sure your hair is fairly dry and take a small portion of the product and rub in your hands till it starts to go gummy, another think you can do is clap your hands gently as this will cause the product to start to form fibers.

Next work the product from fringe to crown to make your hair stick completely up. Add more product if needed but don't go overboard. Allow to partly dry then using your finger tips gently brush forward from the back to shape and mess up.

Now I find it's best to leave it like this for a few mins to fully dry before a final mess up to break up the clumps of hair into finer strands, how much you do this will depend on how textured a look you want.

Anyhow that works for me and achieves a similar look to Harrys, that's about as much hair as I can face to have on my head though, I get it cut when it starts to get to that length. Hope that helps

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads