• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What type of flower for New Year's?

dorian

Reaction score
Hello again, fellows...

Which type of flower would one suggest for a New Year's Eve party? To be more clear... I will be wearing a navy, sharp and high peaked lapel suit, and some variation of blue tie and pink or blue shirt.

Any suggestions most appreciated, of course, especially so since the evening may have an amorous aspect.

Yours,

Dorian. Of the Picture.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cactus

dorian

Reaction score
Ah yes, Ernest, sharing in the spirit, I see....

Um, actually, Ernest, a cactus - should the lady in question be there - is not such a repulsive idea...

Any others, though...?

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
I see Ernest's English lessons are coming along well...

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello again, fellows...

Which type of flower would one suggest for a New Year's Eve party? To be more clear... I will be wearing a navy, sharp and high peaked lapel suit, and some variation of blue tie and pink or blue shirt.

Any suggestions most appreciated, of course, especially so since the evening may have an amorous aspect.

Yours,

Dorian. Of the Picture.
Hopefully you can find a flower in your area that won't fade as quickly as the portrait did.

In Tahiti, men and women wear tiare flowers (gardenia taitensis), and they last seemingly forever. The scent is heaven.

If you could go for scent or for looks, which one would you go for?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, haven't see you post in a while.

I knew someday I'd have to break out "The Boutonniere: Style in One's Lapel," so I guess that is today. I'm guessing you have a longer buttonhole in the handstitched lapel, and possibly a flower-loop to secure the flower? The British-made RLPL had a great lapel buttonhole, as do oxxford-- strangely, however, the authors of the book (Brioni) don't make the buttonhole to accomodate much of a flower.

You've got a lot of choices, although I've always wanted to wear a purple one (bluebonnet hydrangea or delphinium), but one of the coolest choices might be ixia, which if you can find it, looks like it has a reddish tint in the middle of a white flower. Also check for a black lily, or if red is your thing the red sweet william.

FINALLY got my money's worth out of this damned book-- knew it would come in handy.

whitsang

Reaction score
[No question. Pink carnation. ]

At all costs, avoid the carnation.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I love carnations. Red is my first choice, white second, pink third.

alaaro

Reaction score
I dont agree. I view carnations as cheap and unappealing. Almost as bad as that babysbreath stuff mixed in with roses.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The carnation has been the classic since at least the 1920s. It is cheap ($2 at most for a single flower) but it doesn't look cheap. It looks vivid and dramatic.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was kind of kidding about the carnation. Here in the US, it is all too often associated with powder blue tuxes and ruffled shirts.

I think in Europe it is a different story entirely. Visually, I think a carnation could be quite striking with the right suit.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Here in the US, I don't think even one man in 1,000 wears a boutenierre unless he is a groom or a groomsman.  So I don't think the carnation has the connotation you suggest.  If it has any at all, it has a whiff of "old times" about it.  It used to be a standard accessory for the well dressed gent.  Look at those Apparel Arts drawings, or old photos.  Nowadays, people think of old movie lines, e.g., "How will I know you?" "I'll be wearing a red carnation."  Or else maybe they think of Gleason.  But I think it looks sharp.

Other flowers look too elaborate or overdone.  The point is to look like you just happened by a florist on the way to work, offhandedly stuck carnation in your buttonhole, and tossed a silver dollar to the florist as you strolled away.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Carnations have to be of a fairly moderate size without any of that superfluous stuff, i.e. sprigs, leaves, etc. that prom-goers, and other persons of ill fashions sport.

Corsages are ugly as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics