• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What type of fabric should I spend more on?

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on your current wardrobe. If you have a number of solids already, then stripes/windowpanes/checks. Otherwise, it's always good to build that base first. I do think a mix is important.
Actually, I was thinking that one should pay a bit more for solid suit fabric because:

- they are staples and will not go out of fashion;
- and also that a better quality fabric is probably more necessary to differentiate a solid-coloured suit from the sea of other other similar suits out there.

Any opinions?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spend more on the ones you will wear more. That should be your rule of thumb. You can tell a cheap fabric whether it is a pattern or a solid. I didn't think it was true until I discovered it was true.
smile.gif

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To jn3's comments, I would add that you should make sure that the suits you will wear the most are made from the most durable materials, not just the most expensive. There are some very expensive fabrics that are too fragile for a "heavy rotation" suit.

One thought on "standing out from the crowd." Assuming that you aren't getting bargain basement fabrics, in the long run the quality of the construction is more important than the quality of the fabric. I built my first business wardrobe with several fused suits from a shop in LA that sells fused made-in-Spain garments made of pretty good fabrics, including a lot of Vitale Barberis Canonico super 110s/120s. Those suits do not look as good as my WW Chan suits made from VBC fabrics, because the lapels don't roll as nicely and the coat just generally doesn't drape the same. They also haven't held up as well as my WW Chan suits.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, yes, yes. For basics, go with 120s or 130s tops. I like the VBC fabrics a lot, BTW, Retro. Don't go too fine a fabric, or too shiny. Depending on your climate, a nice brushed 3 season fabric may be the way to go.

But I agree with Retro that construction does improve appearance -- a good fabric can be ruined by poor construction. So, go full canvas even if that means choosing a less expensive fabric. Though you might not be able to tell a canvas suit by sight yet, you will soon be able to.

In addition, what makes a plain suit stand out besides construction is the cut. A nice style -- good button stance, modern lapel notches, good waist suppression (this is more a job for the alterations man/woman, to be honest), high armholes, nice vent (I prefer double) -- will take you far above the crowd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads