• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What type of cuff for a 3-piece pinstripe?

MPS

Reaction score
Cuffs on a pinstripe suit? Only if the coat sleeves are cuffed.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Can you clarify where this stip goes please?  I have a number of pants which came with it in the back pocket and tailors have been a bit clueless as to what it is and where it goes.  Thanks.
It's called a heel guard - any competant tailor will know what you're talking about. I generally see them on the rear half of the pant cuff, allowing the front to break naturally over your shoes.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I always recommend cuffs if the trousers are pleated. The size of the cuff could depend on your height or on the silhouette of footwear you most commonly wear, what I means is, if you tend to wear very dainty styles of shoes such as slip-ons and thin soled shoes you might want a smaller cuff. If your shoes tend to be heavy welted types than a larger cuff seems to be more proportionate.
As a rule in desiding cuffs or no cuffs, remember that you can always take a cuff off but not put one on unless your tailor hasn't discarded what he cut off.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I agree that a 1.25" cuff is too small for any man, no matter what his height or leg line. 1.5" is the minimum.

FFW

Reaction score
I just bought a black suit with a stripe. the suit is pleated. I didn't take cuffs, is this a bad thing? Everyone here says they take cuffs when the trousers are pleated.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I just bought a black suit with a stripe. the suit is pleated. I didn't take cuffs, is this a bad thing? Everyone here says they take cuffs when the trousers are pleated.
No, it's a matter of preference.  Cuffs do look better with pleats than they do on flat front trousers.  And I think that flat front trousers with cuffs look more odd than pleated trousers without cuffs.  But there is no hard and fast rule.  After all, most formal trousers are pleated, and these never take cuffs.  And it is not uncommon to see flat front corduroy or twill or tweed or flannel odd trousers with cuffs.

Now, about that black suit ...

johnw86

Reaction score
I always thought that the cuff width should be 1 5/8" if you're shorter than, say, 5'10" and 1.75" if taller.
I don't know how 1/8" would make any discernible difference.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't know how 1/8" would make any discernible difference.
Amazingly, it does. At least to my eye.

linux_pro

Reaction score
The amount of feedback to be had on this forum is simply astounding. I feel like an idiot. I had no idea about a lot of the things you guys are discussing.

I always wear pleated slacks, because I hate flat-front or whatever you call them. I just really prefer that Sinatra/Cary-Grant/40's kinda look that you get from a sharp pleat with a nice thick cuff on the slack. The one pair of uncuffed pinstripe slacks that I own do have the pleat, and they actually look quite nice without a cuff. However, I think that has more to do with the fabric (it is a very softish thick wool, not sure how else to describe it), and the pinstripe is one of those thick pinstripes, I think they call them "chalk" or something (God, I know nothing of fashion, so I know I sound like an idiot here).

I was concerned about the cuff or no cuff because this is a pretty nice 3-piece, and I want it to be formal, something I can wear to the big meetings and out to El Gaucho (a wonderful steakhouse here in Seattle) with my girl.

She likes to dress well for dinner on the weekends (I bought her a handful of Luis Vuitton dresses for Christmas because I know absolutely nothing about women's clothing and those sounded safe... heh heh). We don't try to match our outfits or anything tacky like that (outside of matching the colors a bit), but I try not to look too formal or informal in comparison, because then it ends up looking really silly and weird.

Point is, I was hoping to find that middle-point between where I could wear this suit to some of our more serious business meetings and with larger clientele, and also out on the town with my girlfriend when she is dressed in one of her outfits, which tend to be a bit more trendy and modern in a classy kind of way. Not sure if this makes any sense or any difference. I will most likely stick with cuffed pants.

But thanks again for all the wonderful feedback. I have learned a ton of stuff in the last few days on this forum, and am spending way too much time at work on here. Sh*t..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads