• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What type of clothes should I wear, 15 years old.

Backspacez

Reaction score
Hi, I'm 15 years old and I'm going back to school in a month. I'm getting around $1,000 for school clothes and am looking for some nice brands. I don't want to wear just Nike basketball shorts and Nike shirt that has some stupid slogan like "The Next Big Thing" or something. I want some nice classy clothes. If I could, I would wear suits everywhere I go but unfortunately I can't do that.

What are some nice brands of classy clothes that I can buy with that budget?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You should look at some aspriational brands like Armani Exchange and Boss if you want to do the "label" thing, but if you are 15 years old, you can likely get some good looking stuff at Uniqlo, Urban Outfitters, and H&M to fill up your wardrobe with easy basics. Get one pair of really good jeans, one pair of really nice shoes, and a nice outerwear piece - the rest of your budget you should spend on basics and some fun shirts.

Good luck to you.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a 15-year old, take a look at Southern Tide. They have everything from T-shirts, polos, sport shirts, shorts, khakis, slacks, etc.

Chris

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't buy anything from "nice brands of classy clothes" at 15, you'll look like you're trying to hard and even worse, drop a ton of money you don't really have on something you won't like later.

Stick with Uniqlo, H&M and J. Crew for now until you've made enough money and developed a taste for merchandise that you intend to wear for 10+ years.

CrAz3D

Reaction score
Dude. Whoa. You're gonna out-growth everything in not too long. No reason to spend money. When I was 15, I bough at Walmart, Target, Old Navy, etc. You can look just fine without wasting money.

That said, if you have a special occasion (e.g., formal dance), there is likely a rental shop near you. You can spend $200 on a rental that will look just fine, or $1000 on something you'll never wear again. Don't be a woman (in my experience, women buy expensive crap and never wear it again).

Also, SALES! Shop friggin sales. Don't get heart-set on a certain shirt from a certain place. Shop around.

At your age (and any age), it is very important to know the value of something. A fancy shirt that fits you now isn't worth much in a year or so.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At 15 you are still growing, I would not invest too heavily in tailored clothing.

Unless you go to a private school where formal / business casual dress is impressed upon the students, I would be of the mindset to look more at SW&D particularly at your age at high school. Dressing to stand out is something that on paper appears good, my general advice is "when in Rome ..." but do the "when in Rome" better than anyone else.

Although sacrilege around these parts, True Religion, Ben Sherman, Stone Island, CP Company, Jcrew, Theory, Versace, Hugo Boss, Uniglo, Club Monaco, Armani Exchange, Emporio Armani etc are brands that cater well for young men.

You should check out the SW&D part of this forum as well to see what rocks your boat. Denim, Boots, leather jackets / duffle coats etc was attire I certainly wore a lot when I was in high school.

Last edited:

rhbjorn

Reaction score
It sounds to me like you are going for a preppy look. GAP, Gant, Lacoste could be brands worth checking out. Do not be afraid of combining cheap stuff (H&M, American Apparel) with more expensive stuff, you want look like someone who knows how to dress, not someone who knows how to spend.

DressedWell

Reaction score
Hi, I'm 15 years old and I'm going back to school in a month. I'm getting around $1,000 for school clothes and am looking for some nice brands. I don't want to wear just Nike basketball shorts and Nike shirt that has some stupid slogan like "The Next Big Thing" or something. I want some nice classy clothes. If I could, I would wear suits everywhere I go but unfortunately I can't do that.

What are some nice brands of classy clothes that I can buy with that budget?
You like suits but wearing that to school will make you stick out and the key to highschool is fitting in.

You can have "suit" style without wearing a suit. I suggest make it more casual. Forget the jacket and tie. Don't button the top shirt buttons.

Look at chinos, slacks, linen shirts, dress shirts, polos. Mix it up. Start slow and you may have students copy your style.

And get the basics done before dressing like that. Get a haircut and stay clean. You will look bad if you wear that kind of clothing and didn't shower for 2 days. You do not want to look like a filthy stoner whos mother made him wear a suit.

You have to make the style your own.

CrAz3D

Reaction score
It sounds to me like you are going for a preppy look. GAP, Gant, Lacoste could be brands worth checking out. Do not be afraid of combining cheap stuff (H&M, American Apparel) with more expensive stuff, you want look like someone who knows how to dress, not someone who knows how to spend.
that last phrase sums up any answer that could be given.

JunyaYamamoto

Reaction score
there's some good advice above. i'd like to add that you can find some great deals on yoox in the sale section. you'll be able to find very expensive stuff for pretty cheap. A thousand bucks can go very far there if you know what to get. however, if you're not so sure which clothes would look good on you, i would go to an actual store like H&M and try stuff on. try to get a lot of neutral color clothes so you can interchange your outfits more easily.

uniqlo is a great place as well, but theyre only located in nyc.

peteyyytran

Reaction score
Really depends on what type of style you are going for. Trends in highschool are basically whoever you tend to hang out with and what you want to "label" yourself as. Sad but true.

newyorknoir

Reaction score
at your age I think I was still wearing light up sneakers and shorts all year long.

JunyaYamamoto

Reaction score
at your age I think I was still wearing light up sneakers and shorts all year long.

i don't know if you grew up in new york, but i remember in junior high we actually had the fashion police. they would come around the courtyard and flip open their badges to harass the fashionably challenged kids. but this was the upper east side, ymmv.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads