• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what type of brogueing is most formal? least?

TRA8324

Reaction score
Just in general i'm curious, but also specific to the shoes I own.

I have a pair of burgundy shell cordovan AE MacNeils and a pair of black AE Sanfords. Obviously the black is more formal than the burgundy, but what style is more formal? How about with wingtips versus longwing and half-brogue.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An oxford design is more formal than a blucher

A cap stich or semi-brogue design is more formal than a wing tip

Years ago, a burgundy grained crup leather longwing blucher was once viewed as a casual shoe...but today, most would deem your AE MacNeils as an acceptable formal shoe...since it is not a square toe side gussetted rubber sole shoe made in Asia...with an Italian or Spanish name.

Wing tip vs. longwing: I have only seen a longwing deisgn on a blucher, but there are plenty of oxford wing tips. Thus you are back to the oxford being more formal than a blucher. But there is now difference in the public's perception of a longwing vs. wing tips blucher.

TRA8324

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
An oxford design is more formal than a blucher

A cap stich or semi-brogue design is more formal than a wing tip

Years ago, a burgundy grained crup leather longwing blucher was once viewed as a casual shoe...but today, most would deem your AE MacNeils as an acceptable formal shoe...since it is not a square toe side gussetted rubber sole shoe made in Asia...with an Italian or Spanish name.

Wing tip vs. longwing: I have only seen a longwing deisgn on a blucher, but there are plenty of oxford wing tips. Thus you are back to the oxford being more formal than a blucher. But there is now difference in the public's perception of a longwing vs. wing tips blucher.

thanks for the thoughtful response.

TRA8324

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lonneker
Pics would really help this thread.
Semi-Brogue
Allen-Edmonds-Strand-Oxford-1.jpg

Wingtip
AE_Cambridge.jpg

Longwing
41Y69P725PL.jpg

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good thread. I wear my burgundy wingtip casually to school with fitted dark jeans sometimes, anyone think that is too formal?

TRA8324

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pieceofsand
Good thread. I wear my burgundy wingtip casually to school with fitted dark jeans sometimes, anyone think that is too formal?
I would say so if it's a balmoral like the wingtip posted above. If it's a blucher I would say it's a good choice.

kellgy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRA8324
I would say so if it's a balmoral like the wingtip posted above. If it's a blucher I would say it's a good choice.
I wear burgundy wingtips similar to the one's posted above with navy chinos and pull it off without looking over dressed. They are usually complemented with a belt of a similar hue and really do look sharp. I have not chosen to wear them with jeans of any color.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
^ Then technically isn't that not a wingtip?

TRA8324

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kellgy
I wear burgundy wingtips similar to the one's posted above with navy chinos and pull it off without looking over dressed. They are usually complemented with a belt of a similar hue and really do look sharp. I have not chosen to wear them with jeans of any color.

I think that would be fine with chinos, but not so much with jeans. I think balmorals would be too formal for jeans. blucher wingtips would be better for jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads