• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately?

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno...
Is anyone doing it better than Netflix?
Good question. Is there any better service?

I do not know because Netflix is the only service I subscribe to. I tried Prime for one free month, a year or so ago, but thought Netflix was better than Prime and so stayed with NF.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that you are overly picky and expecting too much from one network.
Okey-dokey.

I asked a general Netflix question, and for some Netflix recs. You answered the question and you/others provided some recs. So, thank you for that.

I did not ask for some useless tv-viewing psychological evaluation, however, so....

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Prime has had some good stuff, but I wouldn't subscribe to it if I weren't already paying for the free shipping.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prime has had some good stuff, but I wouldn't subscribe to it if I weren't already paying for the free shipping.
Thanks.
Yes, I tried it when I had free Prime for a trial month, but don't buy enough to need Prime shipping and found that even before the month was up I had watched all the stuff in my queue so decided to abandon. This was before Netflix went more "Original"/less movies, though. Amazon had very little content I had not already seen on Netflix or a theater.

I think Bosch is on Prime and I would like to see that some day, as the books were very good and Welliver has been good whenever I've seen him. He would seem to be a good fit for that role.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bosch is great.

Man in the High Castle was another one that started real strong but fizzled (I never finished season 3). Seems like the public must agree too because nobody even bothered to go fill in the episode plot summaries for the third season on Wikipedia. Still, I'd be happy if I had just watched the first season.

I really liked Goliath S1 (which was self contained/wraps up the story) with Billy Bob Thornton. S2 got really weird...I liked it, and so did the critics, but many people were *not* fans.

Jack Ryan was great and I am looking forward to season 2.

Patriot is a quirky black comedy/espionage drama. Season 2 even went 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, but I don't think it ever found an audience and they cancelled any further episodes. But again, since this isn't network TV, it didn't just get cancelled in the middle of a storyline...

They seem to have had a little less success with comedy. Do they even have any in-house series that are still running besides The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (which people love)? Most of the ones they started were cancelled rather than intentionally ended. Maybe they are wise to move more towards co-productions and exclusive distribution deals there (Fleabag, Catastrophe, Good Omens)

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1*OGqu3WQKvw_s5dojFg5YjA.png

Finished ep 1 of this last night.

Good...nothing amazing. So far, this has been done before many times. The difference is that this is based on a true story and I have no idea how it will end. Looking fwd to the rest.

3.5/5 so far.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I only stream shows/movies from netflix, amazon prime (thanks largely to shipping), and HBO Now. Personally, that's the sweet spot for me. Can't say I'd be using prime if it weren't for the included free shipping and music streaming. and I generally find having HBO as the bare minimum (would drop netflix before HBO). They are all hit and miss since content is never a sure thing. I would say I'd expect more from Netflix given their budget but they are definitely better than Amazon.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do people think the long-term prospects for Netflix are?

They are obviously all-in on their own productions, but so far the "Netflix Originals" ones I have seen rate, on combined average, +/- 2.6 ter1413s out of 5.0 ter1413s. Margin of error: 0.2.

I do not feel very optimistic. They seem pretty heady/heavy on quantity, much lighter on actual quality, and I wade through a lot of boring junk to find the few really compelling films or series.

I lost interest in Netflix about 6mo-1year ago(I don't pay for it so no big deal.) I was watching regular TV, Amazon and Youtube. I saw some e-mail alerts re new Netflix shows and I started watching again....also...this thread gave me some ideas.

Long term? More competition means that they will have to spend more for original and "syndicated" shows. I saw on the news yesterday that they signed Seinfeld for 5yrs/$500 mil(I believe) starting in 2021(I believe.)

They will need to lay out big bucks for comics, producers, etc....which they are doing already.

I feel that they have expanded much more into foreign language shows over the last 2 years. That should help with gaining subs.

When I get some time, I will try to list some of the shows that I liked.

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love the mediocre historical documentaries Amazon is somehow inundated with. I did watch a solid one about the Ottoman empire over the past few days.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I paid for Prime just to watch Catastrophe and Baskets (worth it), then cancelled Prime.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new Ken Burns Country Music series is also so far incredible.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

file.jpg

You catch this? Save 1 episode, I liked it I saw it 4-5 times since it first came out. Pretty good IMO.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new Ken Burns Country Music series is also so far incredible.
Really enjoying this. Reminded me of a story an old friend of mine named Marshall Leicester told me about striking up a friendship and music relationship with a middleschool acquaintance named Jerry Garcia. He had run into him in Keplers bookstore in Palo Alto in the early 60s where Marsh showed him a fingerpicking technique called the Carter Scratch.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really enjoying this. Reminded me of a story an old friend of mine named Marshall Leicester told me about striking up a friendship and music relationship with a middleschool acquaintance named Jerry Garcia. He had run into him in Keplers bookstore in Palo Alto in the early 60s where Marsh showed him a fingerpicking technique called the Carter Scratch.

Is that the guy named after the Ben and Jerry's ice cream?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics