• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. The Boys was great, cool mix of comedy, violence, action, revenge and satire. Having a christian background myself, I especially enjoyed the episodes tying into megachurches and "charismatic/hip pastors".

2. Finally finished Gentleman Jack as well, Suranne Jones was brilliant as Anne Lister and the whole show is great. They naturally took some liberties with the source material to make it enjoyable and exciting for TV, but from what I can gather it overall seems like a pretty good look into their real life struggles and who they were as people.

3. Discovery of Witches isn't my usual forte, but if you want a Romeo and Juliet story with magic, witches, vampires, conspiracies and secret societies, I really can't see how you wouldn't love this.

4. Doom Patrol is my favorite thing DC have ever produced (yes, including Nolans Batman trilogy). For once they actually managed to pull off a blend between the zanier and crazy comedy a la GotG/Deadpool and the more serious brooding side DC is so well known for.

5. Final season of Elementary was also nice, really enjoyed that series from start to finish. Yes it's technically a procedural with a new crime every week, but it's the cast and overarching development who are the real stars of the series.

6. Most people are probably already aware, but The Good Place is a fantastic comedy series and a breath of fresh air in a medium filled with stale procedurals and laugh tracks. If you haven't already seen all of season 1, for the love of god do not read or watch anything in case of spoilers, just trust me.

7. Less known, but equally good (if not even better), is the Amazon series The Marvelous Mrs Maisel. It's a period drama-comedy about a housewife in the 1950s with the "perfect life", which then crashes down and leads her into a path of stand-up comedy.

8. Continuing with comedies, American Vandal cemented itself with season 2 as probably my favorite Netflix comedy series to date. Brilliant parody of the current documentary hype, perfectly executed with everything from interviews to 3D-renditions of the "crime scene", shaky camera work and lots of twists and turns to the story.

9. Pennyworth is also shockingly good so far, pleasantly surprised at the amount of offset comedy and weirdness mixed in with some great action and mystery in a story about conspiracy and murder in the UK.

10. Mr Inbetween s2 also just started, placing Ray right back at the top as one my favorite antiheroes of all time. He's a criminal for hire and far from a perfect human, but he also cares the world for his girlfriend and daughter and is just trying to juggle all parts of life.

11. Brassic also seems really good, based on the life and upbringing of Joseph Gilgun, with himself as both the writer, director and main character. I imagine it's the type of series where if you already know you like Gilgun as an actor and character you'll love it, while if you don't, well you won't.

12. The two series mentioned right above also reminds me I should recommend The Detectorists if you haven't heard of or seen it yet. All three series are relatively small scale, only taking place in a small part of the world and focused on a small group of people and their lives. But while the first two still have some "british action" (so not "american action" if that helps hah) and "adrenaline" at time, The Detectorists is literally just about Mackenzie Crook and Toby Jones as two eccentric metal detectorists looking for their big break. Wonderfully quaint and pictureque.

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Money Heist / La Casa de Papel, Netflix.

I gave it all I could, I really did.
I can't take it anymore.
So trite, so overdone, so annoying, so clichèd, so boring...so, ciao bella....

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife was a Spanish teacher, lived 5 years in Madrid and will watch just about anything in Spanish. She lasted 1 1/2 episodes.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife was a Spanish teacher, lived 5 years in Madrid and will watch just about anything in Spanish. She lasted 1 1/2 episodes.
She lasted ~1/4 episode more than I did.
It's the kind of viewing experience that is so disappointing, because the idea has initial promise, the story seems intriguing, the production seems good...and then it all just turns to really lame crap. Even the cast seemed completely bored by the time I gave up. Just nothing of substance at all.

Have you seen "Queen of the South" on Netflix? I have not, but the book was very enjoyable (all Pérez-Reverte books I have read are). Dare I try?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What We Do in the Shadows

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two soap operas I'm really enjoying right now are The Deuce and Succession. Jesse Armstrong (Succession) also did Peep Show, and it's fun to recognize some similar humor in a really different world.

Fleabag was great. The Righteous Gemstones is fun to watch, although I wish Jody Hill was writing more of it, and I wish Ben Best was still in the game (apparently the Clegg character he played on Eastbound was just who he is). The first couple seasons of Eastbound & Down were incredible.

I'm perpetually rewatching The Larry Sanders show, and always finding new things to love about it.

walkinginplace

Reaction score
Just started this last night and am enjoying it a lot. Surprised not to see it mentioned more.

Funny you should mention that show. My wife and I started it last night and were very impressed. Already three episodes in. Neither of us are superhero fans and we just put on the first episode for a quick laugh. 8/10 so far.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Two soap operas I'm really enjoying right now are The Deuce and Succession. Jesse Armstrong (Succession) also did Peep Show, and it's fun to recognize some similar humor in a really different world.

Fleabag was great. The Righteous Gemstones is fun to watch, although I wish Jody Hill was writing more of it, and I wish Ben Best was still in the game (apparently the Clegg character he played on Eastbound was just who he is). The first couple seasons of Eastbound & Down were incredible.

I'm perpetually rewatching The Larry Sanders show, and always finding new things to love about it.

Shandling, Tambor and Torn are the funniest trio ever.

jts287

Reaction score
Victim Number 8 on Netflix is pretty decent, set in Bilbao.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads