• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately?

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take some “V for Vendetta”, add in a lot of “Inside Man”, mix in some other twists, place the story in Spain, and you have:

AAAABYtVyTpP9iaqOYNwBfHbbOwT0BNLV6P1nRY3KNdJA7qxlW2QF77s8U9VEjMVHX3WMALu8fPNyRb4qHxkbXIfVUUQs4LTBeJOaIHGWqrF_-aUEoBIb_vUCFGVXkH_oA.jpg

Pretty good so far, although it may suffer from the opposite issues of “The Spy” (too much movement in too few episodes) in that it does move a bit ponderously at times. But, really good acting, compelling story, still interesting, will watch to the end.

Sadly, I cannot understand the beautiful original Spanish, the Italian audio is barely OK, and the English audio is actually really bad…some really grating voices. Still, recommended so far.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take some “V for Vendetta”, add in a lot of “Inside Man”, mix in some other twists, place the story in Spain, and you have:

AAAABYtVyTpP9iaqOYNwBfHbbOwT0BNLV6P1nRY3KNdJA7qxlW2QF77s8U9VEjMVHX3WMALu8fPNyRb4qHxkbXIfVUUQs4LTBeJOaIHGWqrF_-aUEoBIb_vUCFGVXkH_oA.jpg

Pretty good so far, although it may suffer from the opposite issues of “The Spy” (too much movement in too few episodes) in that it does move a bit ponderously at times. But, really good acting, compelling story, still interesting, will watch to the end.

Sadly, I cannot understand the beautiful original Spanish, the Italian audio is barely OK, and the English audio is actually really bad…some really grating voices. Still, recommended so far.

My Spanish is good enough to know the dubbed lines are horrible

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Spanish is good enough to know the dubbed lines are horrible
How do you like the series though?

Yes. Either in Italian or English the translation is bad (and what's "funny"/annoying is that the sub-titles are also always a bit off, i.e. do not match the translation). My Spanish is definitely not good enough to keep up with the rapidity and accents of the original language.

Mainly though my main gripe is that the dubbed accents, especially the English translation, are truly annoying, as if done by a bunch of Valley girls and guys.

Still, it is interesting so far and also I cannot deny: Spanish women are beautiful.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stopped watching The Spy halfway through Episode 4. It's awful, predictable, lazy and melodramatic. I don't know how it got good reviews.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Confusing where?
If you're at 6 you're at the final episode.
It didn't feel that confusing to me, but I do think they may have crammed too much movement into 6 episodes.

Still haven't finished it. A bit under the weather these last 2 days and was not in the mood to watch TV. Will try again later.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Money Heist jumpsuit and mask makes for a cheap and easy, if a bit obscure, Halloween costume.

Y'know, if you're in the market for such a thing...

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you like the series though?

Yes. Either in Italian or English the translation is bad (and what's "funny"/annoying is that the sub-titles are also always a bit off, i.e. do not match the translation). My Spanish is definitely not good enough to keep up with the rapidity and accents of the original language.

Mainly though my main gripe is that the dubbed accents, especially the English translation, are truly annoying, as if done by a bunch of Valley girls and guys.

Still, it is interesting so far and also I cannot deny: Spanish women are beautiful.

My ex tried to get me into it. She had me watch it in Spanish (her native tongue) but the subtitles were, as you mentioned, almost as bad as the dubbed speech. I made it about halfway through the first season and that was a year ago

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped watching The Spy halfway through Episode 4. It's awful, predictable, lazy and melodramatic. I don't know how it got good reviews.
Definitely not great, but maybe not as bad as all that? "Awful" is a bit harsh, imo.

But as before, for me it felt very rushed for only 6 episodes, as if they did not want to/could not give the series more meat, so in that sense yes...fairly superficial. When the biggest "spy lesson" is "...many brand new eucalyptus trees planted on arid hills help good guy spot bad guy war project..." yes...probably the story could use a bit more work....

Still, there were parts of the story I had not known, so those were at least somewhat educational.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My ex tried to get me into it. She had me watch it in Spanish (her native tongue) but the subtitles were, as you mentioned, almost as bad as the dubbed speech. I made it about halfway through the first season and that was a year ago
I am quickly losing interest, as I am not even through Part 1 (I guess +/- where you were last year) and I see it has 3 Parts. Ugh.

I do wonder if it views substantially better if one is fluent enough watch it in the original Spanish, with no subtitles...but I am beginning to wonder if even that improvement due to the dialogue alone would help much, as the pacing is becoming stultifying regardless.

How much more can they "develop" before it plunges into "Broadchurch" irrelevancy, or "Bodyguard" triviality, or "Shooter" over-the-top-ness, or "House of Cards" total inanity?

Can't people develop appropriate-length/-scale, congruent series anymore?

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely not great, but maybe not as bad as all that? "Awful" is a bit harsh, imo.

But as before, for me it felt very rushed for only 6 episodes, as if they did not want to/could not give the series more meat, so in that sense yes...fairly superficial. When the biggest "spy lesson" is "...many brand new eucalyptus trees planted on arid hills help good guy spot bad guy war project..." yes...probably the story could use a bit more work....

Still, there were parts of the story I had not known, so those were at least somewhat educational.

It hit every single spy trope imaginable in almost every episode, the one suspicious bad guy never entirely convinced, copying documents and almost getting cought every single ******* time, etc. The relationships weren't believable, every interaction felt contrived, the fake suspense of potentially not knowing the answer or question, only to be blown away by generic character completely nailing the answer or the bad guys question was not directed to the good guy, it never stopped. It was watchable, I guess.

I don't know the real story, but it is almost certainly much better than the canned cliches and one dimensional characters in the show.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It hit every single spy trope imaginable in almost every episode, the one suspicious bad guy never entirely convinced, copying documents and almost getting cought every single ******* time, etc. The relationships weren't believable, every interaction felt contrived, the fake suspense of potentially not knowing the answer or question, only to be blown away by generic character completely nailing the answer or the bad guys question was not directed to the good guy, it never stopped. It was watchable, I guess.

I don't know the real story, but it is almost certainly much better than the canned cliches and one dimensional characters in the show.
Most spy stories do that. Tinker Tailor levels are very rare, I think.

As before, "The Spy" is not Emmy stuff by any means and nobody here has claimed it is. 6 quick episodes of "OK" diversion, that's all. The superficiality has been noted.

The main problem may in fact be that it hewed too close to the real story (the tree stuff is real, etc.) and clichèd it hell and high water, rather than having the courage and conviction to be a film.

I do not know what Cohen's (Sacha Baron, not Eli) involvement was in the ideation of the entire project, but perhaps his penchant for (I can't stand his) docu-/mocu-mentaries really hurt the thing. If this is his best work...not very good, and maybe not so surprising.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most spy stories do that. Tinker Tailor levels are very rare, I think.

As before, "The Spy" is not Emmy stuff by any means and nobody here has claimed it is. 6 quick episodes of "OK" diversion, that's all. The superficiality has been noted.

The main problem may in fact be that it hewed too close to the real story (the tree stuff is real, etc.) rather than having the courage and conviction to be a film.

I do not know what Cohen's (Sacha Baron, not Eli) involvement was in the ideation of the entire project, but perhaps his penchant for (I can't stand his) docu-/mocu-mentaries really hurt the thing. It this is his best work...not very good.

If Jon Snow can get a best actor Emmy nomination, anything is possible.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Jon Snow can get a best actor Emmy nomination, anything is possible.
I only have basic TV and Netflix, no other services, so a lot of what gets talked about here I have never seen, including GOT. But I'm pretty sure I don't miss it.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, you should definitely invest the time to watch the 8 seasons of GoT - the final season and especially the final episode, makes it all worthwhile.

(10)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads