• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately?

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
?

The Pacific was good, Band of Brothers is like the gold standard. Its like Saving Private Ryan without as much gore but more stories. I mean, there's gore, just not as graphic as Ryan.
I haven't seen SPR in a long time, but it struck me that much of the gore/realism was front loaded, then we get an updated version of a 1940s/50s patriotic war film.

band of brothers was great in that it seemed not to stake out a position other than celebrating what citizen-soldiers went through in ww2. if you dig into the actual history a little more there are plenty of nits to pick, though. there are at least two prominent characters whose real-life stories were changed a little too much for me to be comfortable with.

the pacific was flawed, but realistically it could never be as good as band of brothers. there was not much to celebrate in the pacific theater. the combat episodes were as good as anything, and did a very good job of portraying things that we don't see very often because they do not translate to the screen very well. (the night battle at alligator creek) the material furthest removed from combat was the weakest, in part because some of it was completely made up. (at least bob ostensibly tried to stick to history. you can blame some of the inaccuracies on the source material [ambrose])

looking forward to masters of the air. it was stuck in development hell forever, but it's actually in production now. i've read the book, and i'm curious to see if they tackle some of the more difficult subjects.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
band of brothers was great in that it seemed not to stake out a position other than celebrating what citizen-soldiers went through in ww2. if you dig into the actual history a little more there are plenty of nits to pick, though. there are at least two prominent characters whose real-life stories were changed a little too much for me to be comfortable with.

Which ones? I read Ambrose's book (though it was some 15 years ago so I don't remember many specifics) but watch the show every few years. If I came across an episode on History Channel or something, I'd start watching for a few minutes, then just start a rewatch on HBO Max. The characters and interpersonal relationships are so compelling and the casting is so perfect. So sad that a lot of the guys interviewed are no longer with us.

I've read that Sobel's family (David Schwimmer's character) was never happy with how he was portrayed. Makes sense.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have rather had more stuff with the core characters.

To me, that's exacty why the series was getting tired. Apart from Drummer, who has just been going from strength to strength as a character, I was bored with almost everyting else, even Amos, which I never thought would happen. The Laconia sections opened things up a bit and reminded that this wasn't really about Earth or even the Solar System any more, and that humanity's future was going to be stranger than any of those involved in the fighting could imagine. For that matter I would have wanted more about what was going on for ordinary people on Earth, Mars and Belt - that was one of the strengths of the earlier seasons: that we got glimpses of all of those things.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Which ones? I read Ambrose's book (though it was some 15 years ago so I don't remember many specifics) but watch the show every few years. If I came across an episode on History Channel or something, I'd start watching for a few minutes, then just start a rewatch on HBO Max. The characters and interpersonal relationships are so compelling and the casting is so perfect. So sad that a lot of the guys interviewed are no longer with us.

I've read that Sobel's family (David Schwimmer's character) was never happy with how he was portrayed. Makes sense.
The writers used Webster's character a little malleably. That's more on the show than Ambrose, though. Ambrose actually compiled and published his diaries.

Lt Dike also got a **** deal. He wasn't a coward as portrayed. Maybe this is because the men didn't actually like him, so their recollections were biased. He actually was wounded at Foy and didn't panic.

Blithe... The story in the show is correct. The epilogue isn't. He survived and stayed in the army, fought in Korea, and died of a perforated ulcer while on active duty in 1967.

Basically it seems like the show took some liberties with the dead characters and used them to make points.

There's also another, lesser-known historian who seems butthurt that he wasn't consulted for the show and nitpicks the **** out of it.

The misrepresentation of real people makes me uncomfortable. Imagine being Dike's grandchild and having everyone think of your grandfather as a coward, when in fact he was a war hero.

Don't get me wrong I love the show, which is what made me dig more into the history. I read the book a long time ago, though.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished Station Eleven, streaming on HBOMax, and was blown away. What an incredible show, and just a masterclass in storytelling.

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just finished Station Eleven, streaming on HBOMax, and was blown away. What an incredible show, and just a masterclass on storytelling.

Yeah, me too. That was great…

I thought the book was some kind of pulpy affair, but saw it was nominated for the National Book Award (which might still be the most credible lit prize).

I did wonder why they just sort of forgot about that one character’s horrible actions in the end.

Fun fact: someone in the EG thread noticed Kirsten wearing an olive holster bag in the finale(!).

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did wonder why they just sort of forgot about that one character’s horrible actions in the end.

I thought of that as one of the themes of the show, the wheel is so important because coming back around or coming home should be cherished. That was taken away from the initial survivors because almost everybody didn't came back.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Face to Face season two Danish Noir on SBS.

Polis corruption, sex trafficking…intense psychological mind games and a vile SOB as the killer. Six part half hour drama set over one day..intense and highly recomended.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finished Station Eleven, streaming on HBOMax, and was blown away. What an incredible show, and just a masterclass in storytelling.

Just watched the finale. I can't remember a series that left me feeling so despondent and happy at the same time. Too many compelling performances to note. Jeevan and young Kirsten story had me all hibbeldy and slightly even jibbeldy. I love post apocalyptic fiction and this was one of the best I've seen. The weaving character arcs from past to present really was masterful.

Yeah, me too. That was great…

I thought the book was some kind of pulpy affair, but saw it was nominated for the National Book Award (which might still be the most credible lit prize).

Fun fact: someone in the EG thread noticed Kirsten wearing an olive holster bag in the finale(!).

I was looking for the EG piece after I saw the post :) !! Costume design overall was also fantastic. This is one of the few series I found so compelling that I wasn't grabbing my phone to look up the actors mid-episode.

Jeevan's brother Frank kicking some Tribe Called Quest was awesome!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I remember catching S1 & maybe 2 & 3 a while back. Good stuff and I will look fwd to the final season. Maybe I will restart and watch from the beginning.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been awhile but I remember some seasons were WAY better than others. Glad its back.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just started season 10 of Letterkenny, after finishing Dexter: New Blood.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
started watching "search party," which makes me nostalgic for the brief time post-undergrad i lived in brooklyn and had no idea what the **** i was going to do with my life.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
started watching "search party," which makes me nostalgic for the brief time post-undergrad i lived in brooklyn and had no idea what the **** i was going to do with my life.
Post-undergrad and pre-grad was the best. My friends still hadn’t moved all over the country for work, but we had more money than when in college.

It’s a fun show. Season 4 is the worst and Season 5 is basically a drug trip, but in a good way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads